New Face Mill for Grizzly G0704

BVH

Flashaholic
I finally picked up a 2.5", ZCC-CT 45° SEMT face/shell mill and R8 arbor for my Grizzly from Curt at LatheInserts. I'm new to face milling and want to take about .020 to .030" off of my 1960's 4.5" Wilton Bullet vise anvil. It's a bit pock marked by previous owners. The arbor came with a large diameter head, 3/8 fine thread bolt for attaching cutters. In this case, the shell mill is too thick so I had to get a longer, standard headed allen bolt. The stock arbor attachment bolt head also does not fit down into the bore of the shell mill as it's head to too large in diameter. I know there's a lot of forces on this setup so I'd like some confirmation of my thoughts on a torque spec for attaching the shell to the arbor. Standard torque for fine thread, 3/8" Grade 5 is about 23 ft lbs, give or take. Does this sound reasonable for this specific case? Is it better to take heavier cuts and less of them when face milling and make my last pass somewhere between .005 and .010"? There is a ragged .100 slightly angled rise at the anvil/vise static jaw casting interface. The inserts on the cutter have a 45 degree rise from the horizontal cutter face. The rise is also a sharp cutting surface. Can I cut a nice 45 degree angle at the interface while taking my last finish surface cut? So I'd be cutting with the bottom of the insert and also the side of the insert. Hopefully I have described what I want to do clearly enough.

Forgot to ask about inserts and RPM. I have Alum inserts and Steel/Stainless inserts. The vise being cast iron, would I use the steel inserts or is cast soft enough to use Alum inserts. I can spin up to 2500 RPM. What would be a good speed?

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If using a Grizzly mill, 250-350 rpm using lard as the lubricant and a slow cross feed speed. Cast iron is picky on cutting lube. Cutter should be .032" radius. Pointy cutters aren't good on cast iron.

Take time to trammel the head and have it squared with the table. If you see a second pattern with the cut, the head isn't square.