4.PNG

HALCYON FLARE HALCYON FOCUS

11.PNG

left fixed focus , right adjustable focus

3.PNG

2.PNG

z.PNG

10460806_781082778602689_3344354499659611830_n.jpg

Both FLARE™ and FOCUS™ have three sealed compartments, isolating the LED core, the driver, and the cable gland.

Last edited:

MAD23

Newly Enlightened
I saw that light some time ago, fresnel lens and a adjustable focus, i dont really think they reinvented the primary diving light here... in fact, the square beam looks pretty awkward in watter

DiveMike

Newly Enlightened
It seems you never saw this light, actually, cause if you have done, you would know, that the beam pattern is not square although you would expect this. :devil:
And I guess there are not so many people out there, who got their hand on one of this lights, since it just began shipping. Luckily I am among these few and what I can tell you is the new two Halcyon lights are featuring a new kind a collamination system that combines the best of two worlds: The bright and heavy hotspot only a lens can deliver and a reflector like corona comparable to a reflector dive light but with different light distribution pattern - more light in the hotspot and less light in the corona. And all this with a focus range of about 80 degree down to 5-6 degree - stepless. :ironic:
So it is not that wrong to say it is a new/unique way of handling LED light..

lucca brassi

Enlightened
alcyon lights are featuring a new kind a collamination system that combines the best of two worlds: The bright and heavy hotspot only a lens can deliver and a reflector like corona comparable to a reflector dive light but with different light distribution pattern - more light in the hotspot and less light in the corona. And all this with a focus range of about 80 degree down to 5-6 degree - stepless.

Have not seen beamshots yet but I think it goes in that way (second and third sealed compartment )

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?364098-Modded-MTE-H8-1A-with-Circular-Beam
not so complicated and/or ( for colimator for front lens and same time made corona)

http://www.polymer-optics.co.uk/207%20-%2030mm%202.5%20Deg%20Reflector%20Collimator%20for%20Cree%20XLamp%20LEDs.pdf

But IMO some 10W led (half of 21W HID) is little to low at least for our coffe muddy lake .... But important is size of front lense bigger- tighter beam and of course right focal distance.

in fact, the square beam looks pretty awkward in watter

Actually i don't have problem with that ( square beam ). I have MBSUB X1 VB with modified SST50 and modified large SCUBAPRO SCUBALUX HP200 with modified SST90 for tighter beam (both have fresnel lens)

I have made some tests with fresnel lens on SCUBAPRO and it is possible with modifying single lens to get corona and focus hot spot together with same lens but with fixed focus . My focus is not conical as it is preferred but paralell which go with distance wider ( after cca 12 m.)

Last edited:

MAD23

Newly Enlightened
It seems you never saw this light, actually, cause if you have done, you would know, that the beam pattern is not square although you would expect this. :devil:
And I guess there are not so many people out there, who got their hand on one of this lights, since it just began shipping. Luckily I am among these few and what I can tell you is the new two Halcyon lights are featuring a new kind a collamination system that combines the best of two worlds: The bright and heavy hotspot only a lens can deliver and a reflector like corona comparable to a reflector dive light but with different light distribution pattern - more light in the hotspot and less light in the corona. And all this with a focus range of about 80 degree down to 5-6 degree - stepless. :ironic:
So it is not that wrong to say it is a new/unique way of handling LED light..

When i saw it the focused beam was totally square, i dont have to lie.

MAD23

Newly Enlightened
Lucca, i have some of those polymer optics shipped for some testing, i'll be posting something if its worthless

DiveMike

Newly Enlightened
You're right, lucca, a square beam isn't that big problem under water like it seams when white wall hunting. I also own a VB50 head and the X1-VB, so therefore I know what I am speaking about. The problem with pure fresnel lights is, that the lens only acts on a certain amount of available light which is around on half up to 2/3 max of the Lumens. The rest is lost inside the light.
Obviously the Halcyon Focus goes another way bundling the LED light, cause it has not more than one lens and it also don't have a reflector around the primary fresnel lens. In fact there are two additional reflectors behind that lens forming the light to be perfect for professional diver needs and this also allows it to catch 100% of available LED light. That means bigger an brighter hotspot (measured by lux meter) in comparison to a 21W HID. And a better corona light distribution, which is dimmer but wider and therefore less disturbing in murky waters. My German home lakes are really what you can call murky and in direct comparison to a 21W HID the Focus cuts better through that dark wall. In term of reach you can see the HID get dimmer like the Focus in distance, but also the hotspot get smaller and smaller of the HID while the Focus spot is stable in size -> more even light distribution in hotspot. This is a big plus in problematic environments.

Mike

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right, lucca, a square beam isn't that big problem under water

I agree. I have used aspheric lenses in dive lights for many years now and love the way they can create a nice tight bright spot of light. The fact its square is not an issue at all.

I'd like to see one of these in action. But given the price I doubt I will be rushing out to get one myself.

jspeybro

Enlightened
I haven't seen any beamshots yet, but the fresnel lens will certainly project a square if the led they use is square.
If the light has a corona, then they have the walls between the lens and led reflecting light as well, either with an actual reflector or just a reflective material/paint inside. nothing new here. I get the same result in my greenforce mods, except no focussing mechanism.

The focussing mechanism looks intriging. I wonder if they move the LED with it or have a second lens behind the fresnel lens that is being moved.

any idea what the diameter of the fresnel lens is?

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Dive Center FlensburgNEW FocusTM wurde gleich vom Kunden in einer Tiefgarage getestet, weil er nicht bis zum TG am Sonntag warten wollte. Wir würden sagen, die Lampe kann sich sehen lassen. Die FlareTM aus unserem Halcyon Test-Center kommt am Wochenende während einer Ostsee-Wracktour zum Einsatz und wird dort auf Herz und Nieren in der Praxis getestet. Wir sind gespannt was die Jungs berichten.

Dive Center Flensburg NEW FocusTM was immediately tested by the customer in a garage, because he did not want to wait until the TG on Sunday. We would say that the lamp can be seen. The FlareTM from our Halcyon test center comes at the weekend during a Baltic Sea Wreck Tour used and tested there paces in practice. We are excited to see what the boys report.

spot2.jpg

wide1.jpg

Frankly I'm not impressed, I was expecting more shaped and narrower corona. Beam is comparable with cheap focused light without disturbing and annoying reflections from reflector behind emitter to the front lens which is probably also without AR coating inside .

Funny around the wrangling in the DIR forums or on the Halcyon home page do not want to show either the beam nor measurements but moderators (G.B.) prefer to delete posts ;-)) ...real awesome attitude !

Last edited: