offroading?

darkhanger18

Newly Enlightened
I know there have to be some members on here who like to take it off the beaten path a little bit. I just recently purchesed a 88 jeep wrangler, and threw a 2.5" body lift, 3" suspension lift, and 32" tires on it, boy is this ever fun. I know JimH has a pretty sick jeep, and I think I remember him talking about it in a thread, but I can't dig it up. Lets see pics

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
we take our fully stock zj (grand cherokee) out offroading a lot- its great.

Mad1

Enlightened
I used to have a Jimny kilovolt, absolutly great fun it was.

I had to sell it to buy my dream car. :)

It needs a bit of work doing to it like a respray some off road "bling" aswell such as an ARB snorkel, rockslider sills, black check plating sanding to bare metal etc etc... :)

landy800.jpg

KingGlamis

Banned
I've been an off-roader my whole life and even work in the off-road industry. I've owned just about every type of off-road vehicle, including dirt bikes, three wheelers, quads, and this is my current stable.

My two seat sandrail that I assembled myself. It has a turbocharged 2332cc VW engine and is pretty fast:

DougWheelie1.jpg

My '99 Suburban 2500 4x4, great for taking the whole family on trail rides.

a111.jpg

My Yamaha Rhino (the blue one). For those not familiar they are a true 4x4 and will go almost anywhere.

a7-1.jpg

I also have a '79 Jeep CJ-7 which I don't use anymore so it's for sale.

NewJeep004.jpg

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned
This was a time when I rescued a broken motorcycle from deep in the sand dunes using my Rhino. That was a fun challenge.

BikeRescue1.jpg

This is the location where his motorcycle broke, deep in the bottom of what we call a "bowl" in the sand dunes.

BOWL1.jpg

KingGlamis

Banned
With over 28,000 members and over 5000 active members, I know there has to be more off-roaders on this board. Chime in people and let's see pictures of what you have.

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
My current rig on a trip to Moab a couple of years ago:
DSCF0075.jpg

PICT3516.jpg

Beat up old 89 XJ I bought for little to nothing.
Now running 4" lift, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 front, 4.88 gears, locked in both ends, 33x13.50 LTBs.
It is getting pretty dented up in places.
Don't have many pics of my own rig in action... mostly other peoples stuff. Have been at it for 5 years now.
PICT3305.jpg

Here is the new rig... if I ever get it done. Long ways to go yet:
85 toyota cab and frame
D60 front / 14b rear
44" TSLs
Chevy 4.3L TBI
TH350
Atlas 4spd tcase
PSC Full hydro steering
some other junk...
PICT3689.jpg

PICT3755.jpg

Last edited:

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
hey andyr, is that a long arm? and how do you like those ltb's?

No, with the lift sagged down to around 3.5" there is no need to spend the cash on it (especially for a rig that is not highway driven). I just cut the fenders till the wheels fit.

The LTBs work great here in the midwest. When it does get wet the clean out great. They are very soft rubber compound and stick great on the rocks to. If you drive on the highway though... don't expect to get even 20k miles out of them before they get quite a bit of wear. Mine rides on a trailer.

Andy

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not as exciting as some of the above rigs, but here's me next to my dad's 2004 4Runner. It's his daily driver so we don't thrash on it too much when we go out, but it has accidentally caught air a handful of times.

This pic was taken off of the Red Rover Rd. exit off the 10 freeway. On my Magellan gazetteer it's called Red Rover Mine Rd., looks like Caltrans didn't want people poking around there to check it out so they changed the name. There are TONS and TONS of open mineshafts. The road is unbelievably rough but it was on our all-terrain GPS. I'm standing next to an old miner's cabin or something. Around the "bend" we found the concrete pools indicative of cyanide baths (ie. gold ore processing).

The 4Runner is stock, but when dad brought it to get new tires mounted the tech noticed that all the shocks are leaking. ("You take this thing OFF ROAD?!?!") So we're looking at a Sway-A-Way lifted suspension system.

cimg0416hs8.jpg

Mad1

Enlightened
Over here we call those "softroaders" :laughing:

robinhood4x4

Newly Enlightened
Hey Scott, check out www.ultimateyota.com. Lots of good info there especially from a guy named "goodtimes". His 4runner is probably the most built up 4th gen in the world. We started that forum earlier in the year.

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
Nothing wrong with just getting out there and having fun with a stock 4x4. Even though I have the modded rigs I drove my bone stock 91XJ to Colorado this summer. It is nice to just take it easy and do the scenic trails sometimes without worrying about hauling the other one around on the trailer.

Andy