Opinions On 1.5V AA/AAA Lithium Rechargeables

kilogulf59

Enlightened
@chillinn I think I got it and yes, the Wuben lights have built in LVP. That is a handy feature to have on a light. Honestly, I never thought about it protecting the cell.

@Macgravy no sweat. I wasn't too worried about it either way. I'm not running anything high tech, just normal use stuff. Plus it's all Greek to me any-who...

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having the punch of 1.5 V on tap is such a nice thing compared to using NiMH in devices that want to only speak alkaline.

Initially my son was not liking the quick decline at time of recharging for these AA's but now he seems to be more aware when it is going to happen (or his X Box game auto saves) so we have the XTAR li-ion in rotation for his controller.

Alkalines need replacement above (rested measurment) 1.1V so NiMH is simply not ideal for his application.

XTAR chargers have been very good for us (our heavily used VP2 screen has dimmed a few times; had to unplug and start up again) and these earlier generation batteries simply work.

Attachments

• 13D4EBC5-3936-4755-9816-15ABADA29FA7.jpeg
    13D4EBC5-3936-4755-9816-15ABADA29FA7.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 6E5C601E-EB6A-4274-B3A5-38225D9535D4.jpeg
    6E5C601E-EB6A-4274-B3A5-38225D9535D4.jpeg
    721.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

kilogulf59

Enlightened
@KITROBASKIN Yes, for most of our uses we can use NiMH, but there's a few thing that just work better with a full 1.5v. Energizer Lithium primary work well and last longer that alkaline but even those run into money in the used a lot items. Rechargeable batteries are the way to go IMO. Thus my initial query.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Well, the XTAR BC8 charger and Xtar AA 1.5V Rechargeable Protected Li-Ion cells arrived. Time to charge 'em up and try 'em out. If you hear an explosion or see smoke on the horizon you'll know it's me....

• Haha
Reactions: hsa

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI:

In a previous post of mine (which I can't currently locate), I posed questions regarding the Xtar cells of this type:
  • Is the output enabled constantly, or switched on via load sensing? (I speculated the former)
  • What voltage do these cells output for low SOC (state of charge) indication of the cell for detection by powered devices?
  • Is the switching noise (from the internal switching converter) problematic for some powered devices or other nearby equipment? (I speculated that the answer was 'quite likely')
  • What is the self-discharge rate?
I ran across a review of the Xtar AAA version of their Li ion 1.5v cells which provides answers to the first 3 of those.
  • Yes, the output is enabled constantly (EDIT: or at least the converter is running). This underscores the significance of the last question regarding self-discharge (due to quiescent power consumption), which is not addressed in this test (or any others that I've seen) and is thus still outstanding.
  • The test indicates that when the threshold SOC is reached, the output is reduced from ~1.5V to ~1.0V for detection by powered devices.
  • Yes, the conducted (on the cell's output) switching noise is indeed very problematic for some devices (enough to prevent their use in those). The matter of potential 'radiated' EMI/RFI issues causing issues for other equipment in proximity to the cells is unaddressed. I've not seen any test where those levels have been verified with a spectrum analyzer or other test equipment, so that question remains open / unanswered.
I was considering trying these in some A/V remotes, as well as possibly other devices, however the remote I use most now is RF, not IR, and I still question the (possible) radiated interference (possibly) affecting nearby equipment, so I still haven't clicked 'add to cart' on these yet.

This test shows up as the first match (in a forum) in results of a Google search, with another result for the test in German on the tester's Web site) for the search string:

sammyshp xtar aaa review

Last edited:

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Honestly, They're in the lights and they work. That's about as technical as I get. If there's something I need to know please say so in simple English. When it comes to electronics, I'm the Homer Simpson of the group. Most of you folks are way beyond me.

I only got them because of necessity. My daughter has these battery powered lights, which look like candles. They're pretty neat actually. She's very good with lighting. Any-who, they don't run well with NiMH cells, apparently they need 1.5v. AA primary cells are running into money for her, plus neither one of us likes dumping batteries into the garbage if we can use rechargeables. So, I picked up six of those Xtar's to try. So far, so good. She hasn't had to recharge them yet, either.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Informal update. The XTAR Li-ion AA cells are doing fine. After several weeks of daily use, they still haven't needed a charge. She's running a de facto comparison between those cells and Energizer Li-ion AA primaries. So far they're neck and neck. Bottom like is even if the primary cells last a bit longer, the secondaries still win because they're cheaper in the long run. After the first charge, they're money in the bank.

The XTAR BC8 charger is amazing. It's made for non-tech folks like me. It does so much automatically. All for 20-bucks and change.

So far, I'd recommend both...so far...

Galane

Newly Enlightened
I have some AAA and AA 1.5v Lithium-Ion cells from EBL, the red ones that take their special charger. They seem to be extremely popular, their US warehouse can't keep them in stock. I had to put in an order and wait on the next boat from China.

I've been using them in Olight i3UV, i3E, i3T, i5T, and i5T Plus lights. The i5T Plus uses two AA. The i5T uses one AA. The i3's use one AAA. All of these lights have dual brightness, click on and it's on low, click off then quickly back on and it's on high. Or push just enough to make it flash low, release then click on high, or second press just until it comes on for not latching it on high.

The i3E is a simple twist on/off, single brightness. My i3UV is the original design, my i3E is the revised design with dual o-rings to prevent it unscrewing and falling apart or tightening and turning on in pockets.

These EBL cells have a dim white LED in the top end that's on when charging. On the i3E when it needs charged it flashes. I don't know if that's a property of the light or the EBL cell.

I have one pair of AA eneloop. Got them in a cordless mouse I picked up at a thrift store. I use one in an i5R and the other in my Elecom EX-G trackball.

Left handers looking for a left handed thumb trackball may be interested to know Elecom has a perfect mirror image of their EX-G. They have three finger buttons, forward/back buttons for the index finger, high/low DPI switch just behind the scroll wheel, which is also a button and sideways click. They also have a left handed CAD mouse.

Macgravy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks kilogulf59 for you info. If I would have known that you were to use these in candle type lights I would have said that you aren't going to overload them. I for 1 would like to hear more about your long term use and how they last. Thanks, Bob

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Hiya Bob. These are the candles she's using them in: OSHINE flameless candles. I didn't see any technical information there, but you'll get the idea. This is, so far, the only item any of us own that seemed to need the full 1.5v for proper effect. Everything else works fine with the 1.2v NiMH. It was strictly a financial thing on her part. Once the AA Li-ion's get recharged the first time, they've paid for themselves. I'll let you know the skinny as time goes on.