Peak LED Banner Ad Mistake

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
However , it must be confusing to most non-English-speaking nations to find that there is the original English language and also an American version of the English language.

Is the word "Ain't" the negative (or opposite) of "Ain" ?

I've never heard an american use "ain't" except to make fun of someone, but "Y'all" is a popular one down here in texas. And honestly, I think the differences between american and european english are too minimal to matter much. When I was britain, I noticed that people avoided using the preterite tense of "to have" (that is, "to get"), and would instead use the present tense, eg "I have a new cellphone" where americans would say "I got a new cellphone." However, I'm pretty sure that no one would even notice the difference unless they were looking for it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now what is the txting/twitter shortcut? Like B4 instead of before.

peakbanner2.jpg

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to go through the dictionary comparing the English spelling versus the American , but the weights and measures are certainly not the same.

Ounces and Pounds are the same , but the Americans don't have "a stone" (14 pounds) ... An English "quarter" is two stones and four quarters equals one hundredweight.

The American "hundredweight" is 100 pounds whereas the English one is 112 pounds (8 English stones).

In both cases there are 20 hundredweights to the ton ... So the American ton is 2000 pounds and the English is 2240 pounds.

An English pint is 20 fluid ounces and the American is 16 fluid ounces ... An American gallon is 3.78541178 litres and the English gallon is 4.54609188 litres.

In both English and American weights and measures , litres and kilograms are the same ... It looks as though we should all go metric to simplify things.

Perhaps (on reflection) we should ignore all the punctuation marks & spelling errors and stop worrying about grammatical inaccuracies and just try to understand what the person is trying to say.

People whose native tongue is not English seem to have a better command of the English language than we do of theirs ... My French , German and Latin (who uses that) certainly leave a lot to be desired and I'm sure that my puntuation and spelling in these languages leaves a lot to be desired.

Starlight

Enlightened
Perhaps (on reflection) we should ignore all the punctuation marks & spelling errors and stop worrying about grammatical inaccuracies and just try to understand what the person is trying to say.

That is exactly the reason they can't spell or use proper grammer. Their teachers and their parents said the same thing.

Imon

Enlightened

Right after I read the statement above I saw StarHalo's WTFLOLBBQ and I started chuckling to myself. I know what the acronyms stand for but I don't know what it's supposed to means. :thinking:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
you'ins is blowin this hear intire mater oute proportions.
Them thair Peak peoples mak a mhigty fin produckt.
:devil:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I know what the acronyms stand for but I don't know what it's supposed to means. :thinking:

LOLWTFBBQ is an expression of chaotic hilarious confusion; what is being commented on is too funny and too strange to be covered by a mere "LOL WTF", so the completely random "BBQ" is tacked onto the end to add to the sense of mayhem. The image below might generate a LOLWTFBBQ:

lolwtfbbq.jpg

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly the reason they can't spell or use proper grammar. Their teachers and their parents said the same thing.
In my circle of friends and acquaintances plus others that I have met , there are many teachers and lecturers ... Looking at their ages , there is a gradual transition from near-perfect English to almost pidgin-English with the older (nearing retirement) ones being the more articulate (and correct) ... Within ten years (possibly less) there will be none of these good ones left in employment ... Some of those with the poorer command of the English language will eventually move up in seniority to become heads and deputy heads ... In fact in some locations this is already happening.

The UK has more than its fair share of immigrants and they are having to learn the English language in our schools and colleges with a gradually declining competence in tutor ... I really shudder to think about the state of our language in the next few decades ... At my age of 72 (and a half) I won't have to worry about it then ... At my age , the "half" is quite important.

My Grandchildren all have a very good command of the English language as do most of their friends ... This is mainly due to the teaching staff at their school being headed by an exceptional fiftyfive year old man ... He will be retiring in the next few years and will hopefully be succeeded by his deputy ... In theory this should see all my Grandchildren through thair exams ... Unfortunately this situation cannot last as the numbers of suitably articulate teachers is declining.

When I went to Grammar School , all the teachers wore suits and their university "cap & gown" and were addressed as Mister or Sir ... Nowadays , in some schools you can't tell the sixth-formers from the teachers as they all look scruffy and slouch about ... No "good" example is being set to these students.

Nowadays with some "gangs" of children , it is frowned upon to talk "posh" and swearing has become the norm ... I guess this is progress ?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
LOLWTFBBQ is an expression of chaotic hilarious confusion; what is being commented on is too funny and too strange to be covered by a mere "LOL WTF", so the completely random "BBQ" is tacked onto the end to add to the sense of mayhem. The image below might generate a LOLWTFBBQ:

lolwtfbbq.jpg

That picture is wacked out man- can't tell if it is a doll house or a real house with an inflatable Wendys Hamburger bouncy castle that somebody tried to inflate indoors.....LOLWTFBBQBIGGIESIZETHISINDEED!

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nowadays with some "gangs" of children , it is frowned upon to talk "posh" and swearing has become the norm ... I guess this is progress ?

This has nothing to do with grammar... it's social evolution. And as for the teachers not knowing proper grammar, is that the result of the people who taught them?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
And as for the teachers not knowing proper grammar, is that the result of the people who taught them?
I can't answer that as I wasn't present during the lectures at university ... But since these teachers went to different universities , this could be an escalating (nationwide) problem.

I'm just glad that I studied electronics ... I didn't have to be totally correct with my English grammar.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't answer that as I wasn't present during the lectures at university ... But since these teachers went to different universities , this could be an escalating (nationwide) problem.

I'm just glad that I studied electronics ... I didn't have to be totally correct with my English grammar.

The question for me is whether language is evolving or devolving. The first one is a lot better than the last.