Possible close call…?

brh

Newly Enlightened
So, tonight, I was running 4 Energizer 2500s (two lighter green tops, two darker green/blackish tops) through a test cycle in my BC-700. After a few hours, two of the cells were at their discharge phase, two were still charging. One of those which was charging was above 1.5V. I didn't make note of the exact value. I was charging all the cells at 700mA, or .28C.

Well, I keep the charger next to my computer. I was watching some reruns of America's Test Kitchen, and was just about to go to bed, but came over to my computer first to check my flickr, email, etc. This was also when I peeped at the display on the BC-700. So, I'm typing away, and I hear a little noise, like a 'pfffft!' Just a burst. My first reaction, knowing about the 900 meltdowns, and that (almost?) all of them involved these lame Energizer cells was something like 'I don't need some crazy venting cells right now, on the day that my girlfriend, whom I have been dependent upon leaves me, and everything else in my life is rather sticky as well…' Didn't want a nasty mess on my hands, not today! But it was just that quick burst of sound. So, I left the charge going, and stuck by my computer to see if it happened again…

It did! Another 'pffft!' and from the general direction of the BC-700. Now, I have some papers and such over there as well, it could have been things shifting. But, I know these aren't great cells to begin with (I do have eneloops, and assuming I can find employment soon, will replace all these old, lame Energizers as well…) and I feel like >1.5V at .28C is not necessarily right. Well, I don't care what part of charge/discharge the cells were at, I yanked them all out. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow when I can continue to monitor them, but definitely not running this while I sleep.

Now, as I already mentioned, it could well have been something else making the noise. Also, no smell that I can detect… But, is it possible that my 'pffft!' noise was indeed coming from one of my cells? It's not exactly a behavior that I've heard of before…*Part of me hates to be paranoid, but the other part of me realizes that caution is a good thing…

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it was the cells for sure, or one of them. At over 1.5V and still around 700mA it's overcharging the cell, which can lead to heating and venting. The sound is gas escaping, the sell is burping/farting. It's harmful to the cell to be in that situation of overcharge, and it's life and capacity are being diminished. You would probably notice the cell would be quite hot to the touch, and possible burn you. A cheap IR thermometer and some black electrical tape are a good method to test cell temp.

brh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I'm glad I noticed then. The sooner I can ditch these Energizer cells, the better…! I forgot to mention, the cell was not terribly hot. It was definitely much warmer than any of the other cells (though, again, two of them were at discharge… but it was much warmer than the other charging cell as well), but not hot by any means. I yanked it out and was able to handle it without any discomfort.