Power on board HID flashlight

Terrywhite

Newly Enlightened
Imalent made a version of the DT70 with an extra step that would stay at 3000 lumen until drained without step down.
80, 1000, 3000, 8000 and of course 16 thousands.
They are no longer manufactured so are hard to locate.
Does it step down sooner than the LR50R ?
It doesn't step down from 3000 at all.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
NEW XeTREME LED Not making a hand held version yet ( ~100 watts LED ) 10,800 lumens, 320,000 Cd (or CP) and 1 Lux at 1/3 mile, 1/2 Lux 1/2 mile.
4.5 inch diameter and just under 2 lbs without a battery. Active and effective cooling and maintains the listed output for as long as its run, even days using a power supply, check the xevision website. HID with a 1-2 degree hot-spot well focused will out throw it, but this is a "good" 9-10 degrees LED beam.

Last edited:

sven_m

Newly Enlightened
If you guys want a thrower light to replace H.I.D., l.e.d. isn't going to cut it. We need flashlight companies to make L.E.P. (light emitting plasma) spotlights. This technology has been around for a decade. It takes a lot of power and puts it in a bulb the size of a grain of rice. I think now with advances in lithium ion technology we can take more advantage of this in our lights if companies would just make them.
I am a bit sceptical about LEP (plasma). I am an arc nut, and so I wanted to *know* 2014/2015 and aquired used equipment by lots of ebay searching:
  • Luxim STA-41-01

Optimized for lumens and growing.
    See link to my review in TLF for pics. The big ballast housing is for passive cooling.
    280 W, nominal 23,000 lumens , in my case ~14,500 lumens (probably lots of plants had to be grown before :- )

Luminance is essential for throw, but not reported by the vendor (like with most other light sources).
    I measured 40 cd/mm² . Now, this is rather like incan (30 cd/mm²) , and originally at best 80 cd/mm², like early or midrange LEDs.

• ok, so I needed an STA-40-02

Optimized for lux. Essentially the light pill is upright instead of cross, and thus "brighter".
    Much smaller ballast, active cooling needed.
    280 W, nominal 18,000 lumens,

luminance again not reported, in my case measured at best ~170 cd/mm². That's roughly like current high luminance LEDs. But not more.

Now, this light is advertised with 5300 K / CRI 95 - and that is indeed an almost perfect light quality, in contrast to LEDs and automotive HIDs. Only real Xenon is better (Maxabeam & Co), but here lumens is low.
I believe LEP is just missing peak luminance like HIDs, or easy handling/construction like LEDs.

It would have made for a very nice experimental thrower. But all reports about such prototypes look a bit dubious.

Luxim has gone. So we won't hear about such a light source for a while. And meanwhile business cases make more sense with LEDs anyway, I guess

Sven

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I am a bit sceptical about LEP (plasma).
The more current usage for the LEP the last couple of years seems to be Laser Excited Phosphor which pumps the diode with a blue laser rather than a blue LED die. Upside: since the laser can be focused on a far smaller target than a LED die, the flux per unit area is greater than LED thus they throw quite well for their size. Downsides: low efficiency inherent to lasers, low lumen output, likely short phosphor lifespan since it's being asked to pump a lot of flux per unit area relative to conventional LED.

Whether this instance of LEP is competitive with arc lamps I can't say. It's the technology behind the laser headlamps that the German luxury brands got a lot of press for a ~decade ago so it can be made to perform comparable-ish to automotive HID. But on the other hand conventional LED seems to gained immense ground in the automotive headlight space, thus it's likely that its point flux density is simply an improvement over LED.

justforquestions

Newly Enlightened
Imalent made a version of the DT70 with an extra step that would stay at 3000 lumen until drained without step down.
80, 1000, 3000, 8000 and of course 16 thousands.
They are no longer manufactured so are hard to locate.

It doesn't step down from 3000 at all.
If you found one; imalent DT70 what is it worth?
Does it have food throw or any problems

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bought a Sam's Club HID on CPF back more years than I can remember. So, likely over 10 years ago.... I never took it out of the box. It's still underneath the short breakfast table in my kitchen.

*Edit: Due to clarification.

Last edited: