RCR123A Batteries in Olight Valkyrie 1200 Lumen Weaponlight?

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
Picked up a 1200 lumen Olight PL-2 Valkyrie on a recent sale for $50 shipped. What protected RCR123A's would you folks recommend for use in this little lumen Monster? Will run-time be less than standard CR123A's? BTW, I have a XTAR VP2 for charging duty.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a 1200 lumen Olight PL-2 Valkyrie on a recent sale for $50 shipped. What protected RCR123A's would you folks recommend for use in this little lumen Monster? Will run-time be less than standard CR123A's? BTW, I have a XTAR VP2 for charging duty.

You're better off just trying out a naked/unprotected a 2500mAh 4.35v Sanyo UR16650ZTA cell if you have a positive spring at the positive end of the light, otherwise, you'll need to find one with a button top added by a third party.

You have the Xtar VP2, so you can charge up 4.35v cells and that should power up the WL.

You can look for a protected cell with button top, but it will only charge up to the typical 4.20v, since the protection circuit ceases charging at ~4.20v.

You're only out a $6 cell to run the experiment. Two RCR123 3.2v cells are generally crappy by nature and don't have the capacity, although they'll work.

Look to K2 Energy, marketed by SureFire and/or the Tenergy brand. Your VP2 can charge them up properly.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Chris! I'll report back with results in the New Year most likely.

I should have added that if an 18650 will fit, like it can in some lights designed for two CR123As, just use one of those. Most lights will fire up with the lower voltage of li-ions, so if you have one of those with a button top/PCB use that first and forego the 16650.

Chris

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
DOH! This light runs the two CR/RCR123A cells in a side by side configuration so no using 16650/18650 cells. So, what 123A cells would be best to use?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected on a weapon light? Recoil can crush and worse cause a short by destroying the PCB. With protected it it possible for the light to just suddenly shut off due to tripping the over discharge voltage point