Recommend me- Tough Jeep Light

keyholder

Newly Enlightened
Howdy! Please recommend a flashlight for my Jeep. I'm thinking of mounting it vertically on the inside A pillar along the drivers side windshield. A light approximately 6" to 9" long would fit there well. It will live a hard life of varying temperatures, from cool to very hot. Some direct sun. And it will get shaken around a lot while mounted. Open to your ideas.

This will be used for general truck light purposes - from changing a tire to choosing a late night campspot in the remote wild, investigating stuff at night. 2 or more brightness settings would be great. Water resistance is not important.

Here's a twist: If possible/practical, I'd like it to live mounted vertically in a recharging cradle so it is always topped up & ready for action. And that cradle needs to hang onto the light securely so it doesn't bounce out on a rocky road. The recharging cradle is not a must-have, but it would be nice. If the light takes ordinary non-rechargeable batteries, that is also acceptable. I also welcome your ideas for mounting.

Thanks very much, looking forward to your ideas. My FRC is below.
K

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget:
__X__I don't know yet.

3) Format:
_X_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
__X__MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
& Up to 9.5" long.

5) Emitter/Light source:
__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
__X_ Doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer a light ready to go, but I can assemble something if it is that much better.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I'd like the light to be mounted in my Jeep, recharging itself as necessary, always ready.
__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
__X__I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
__X__I want a light that snaps into a cradle That can be charged from 12vDC

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
__X__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
__X_ Optional; variable zoom between flood/spot is nice too.
__X__All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__X_3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
__X__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__X__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
__X__None needed

16) Storage conditions
_X___Emergency kit (long standby periods)
_X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
_X__ Vertical mount recharge cradle(12v), secure hold in for off road Jeep.
Open to ideas here, I just want a light that is always ready to go, even when ignored for months.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Good morning keyholder
For your stated purposes, setting up camp, changing a tire, etc, being able to use two hands, is better than one, so I therefore suggest that you obtain a headlamp.

I like this one, for reasons I'll outline below.

1651830672391.png

I *think* that your challenge for the A post mounted light is that:
1. there are few that sit in a constant charge cradle/holder
2. I believe that they are typically of the NiCad battery type.

NiCads do not perform well in the cold, and at freezing, they are terrible.

Alkalines are not rechargeable, and are a little worse than NiCads in freezing cold.

NiMH batteries are a little better than either in the cold, but I don't think they do well in long time cradle charging (On this point I may be wrong)

Li Ion rechargeable batteries perform much better than the above 3 in cold weather conditions. They also have a higher capacity density (meaning they store more energy in a smaller package). I don't think they do well in long term cradle charging, again, I might be wrong on this point.

------------------------------------------------
What do I like about the Sofirn D25L headlamp?
It has a broad spot with a good amount of spill.
It takes an 18650 Li Ion battery
It has in-light charging. The micro USB port is under a O ring protected screw over cap, that keeps it water proof. (many in-light charging lights just have a rubber plug that is sometimes inadvertently ripped off and lost) BTW this cap can't be lost because it only screws part way out.

It has five light settings, and a BIG on off/setting button that is easily found and operated, even if wearing gloves.

If you don't have a glove compartment, it is light enough that you can tie it to your rearview mirror, or sun visor with a Ranger Band.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have another comment: this, or any headlight can be carried like a flashlight.

Bugs love light, and I have had the unpleasant experience while wearing one, that gnats swarmed my light and therefore my head.

Using the headband, one can tie the light to the back of his/her wrist, and or onto the back of his/her hand. It could be like one of those lights that they use in Star Trek!

1651833938389.png

keyholder

Newly Enlightened
Hi Poppy, Thanks. That's an interesting reco. I didn't consider a headlight before. Your words made me stop and think about how I usually use a flashlight. Seems like usually I grab a light quickly & need it for a short time. Maybe because of how I was taught growing up, I tend to quickly turn the light off when I am not actually looking at something. Yeah, I know, saves battery power, but adds wear on the switch. So I'm constantly fiddling with the light. Although I greatly appreciate your thoughts, maybe a headlamp is not a perfect match for me.

OTOH, How easy does this flaslight pop in & out of the headband holder? I'm wondering if that holder could be considered as a mount? That might change the whole story. Would that be hard on it? Would pull the light out of the holder hundreds of times wear out the holder such that it would become loose and sloppy? Sofrin shows it popped out of the holder in their webpage. https://www.sofirnlight.com/product...er-bright-usb-headlamp-with-a-hidden-usb-port

In my experience, things that are mounted or secured are quickly available when you need them, and everything else is lost in a jumble at the bottom of a box, or were moved elsewhere by your loving GF or spouse. So for me, the concept of mounting the light for easy retrieval is actually pretty high on the list.

The high CRI is nice. This Sofirn D25L has a USB port for recharging, which is good.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It will snap out of the holder, but I don't know how long it would hold up before failure.

This is how I keep a light readily available.

1651884202051.png

I am a huge proponent of having a traffic wand light in a car.

1651884254645.png

Latest posts