Remote piezo switch, taskled lflex

yorkie_chris

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of putting a driver in the battery canister, it would make life easy.

But, it would be nice to have a switch on the light head. Do you think it would work to have the piezo wires running with the power wires? Easy enough to use some 4 core cable. Has anyone tried similar?

Would be very helpful if you could use the LED earth as one of the switch wires, but I don't think oyu can do this with Lflex.

Deeperdiverdude

Newly Enlightened
I suspect that you will have problems with the close proximity of the power wires and the switch wires.
TaskLED dont recommend having long switch wires as they act like an antenna and pick up stray emfs causing the driver to switch erratically.
Suggest you contact George at TaskLED, he's always helpful
T

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ that actually makes sence.

but if op insists, using shielded twisted pair may help, if it becomes an issue. some alarm cables have few pairs each, individually shielded.

Deeperdiverdude

Newly Enlightened
Are you using a prolonged piezo to be able to do short and long clicks?
If so be careful how close it is to the driver, I built a unit and had lots of probs with interference and had to revert to a standard piezo switch

arek98

Enlightened
Long cables may act as antenna and cause switching. Some new TaskLed drivers have schmitt filter for switch (e.g., H6Flex). If you have one without it you can add small ceramic capacitor (e.g., 10nF) between switch wires close to driver, it will filter out high frequency noise.
For piezo I would use it always as well.

Last edited:

Exswede

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone very informative, as with everything on this forum :twothumbs