Replacement for Nichia 219B

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Hello,
Yesterday I stumble upon a driver I had previously bought in preparation for a desklamp, but I had forgotten to build it (that was close to 4 years ago)!

Originally, I wanted to use a triple Nichia 219B 92CRI 4500k setup, because IMO it's an awesome high CRI tint.
However, now that it's been years and years, I was wondering if there are any better LEDs (more efficient, better color) on the market now.

Again, I'm looking for a very nice high CRI LED, something in the 4200k to 4500k tint range, with a very even color distribution. I am planning on either mule, or minimal optics like a frosted glass plate, so yes it must have a very even color distribution like the nichias; minimal color banding on the extremes.

Thanks you, please post your opinions and suggestions!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Nichia 219C, but the last I heard the high CRI version was "still underdevelopment", with some question as to whether it will ever see the light of day.

Lumens Factory uses XP-G2 emitters for their 90+ CRI drop ins. They are a little warmer than the 219B, but do a good job of color rendition anyway. I don't know which tint bin they use - you might want to drop Mark@LumensFactory a line and see if he will tell you, once you explain why you want to know. From what I have seen, the 219B seems to still be the go-to emitter for high CRI lights. I know GearBest just purchased over 1500 of them for the latest BLF group buy of the BLF 348 single AAA/10440 penlight.

akhyar

Enlightened
The Nichia 219C is more efficient, but the current model is 80+ CRI.
The upcoming Zebralight 600FD is supposedly be equipped with Cree emitters with 90+ CRI

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Thanks guys.
I've heard the high cri xpg2s are quite nice as well, but it sounded like they weren't nearly as nice as the old Nichia 219b. I hope that someone with experience with both can provide some opinions as well.
particularly I'm worried about color consistency on the edges, which seemed like an issue.

EDIT: Wow! The 219C looks like a big improvement!

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The only HI CRI XP-G2 I have seen are 3000k which is really warm. I don't doubt there are cooler ones but I haven't seen them.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer a warmer high cri then cooler but to my knowledge the 219b is the highest CRI to date. I have a few in selective areas of my home just because of that fact. I'd upgrade when someone comes out with a higher lumen/watt high CRI chip.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three of the 5K 93+ CRI 219B lights, one CUXP/CUXM drop in from Mountain Electronics, and two of the BLF 348 AAA penlights. All are wonderful with a really smooth beam and no color changes at the fringe. I also have a Lumens Factory D26 drop in that is using the XP-L2 90+ CRI emitter. It too has a nice smooth beam with no color shifts. Either one looks great, it just comes down to a matter of if you like warm white or neutral white tint.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Alright thanks guys, I do want the neutral color. I'd like it to look halogen light colored.
Anyone have guesses on when the 219c comes out in 90 cri?
It looks like a big step up.

Last edited: