researching "Pistol Grip" type spotlights.

Uncaged94

Newly Enlightened
Kirkwood, Delaware. About five miles north of the
Hello everyone. As you will soon discover (abait the post count), I'm an illumination rookie. In doing research for handheld spotlights, I discovered this forum. Very Nice! I'm also interested in upgrading the lighting of my Polaris Ranger, but that will be addressed elsewhere. I have a place in Keyser, West Virginia. A total area of about 65 acres where I hunt deer, turkey, squirrel, etc.. This year I bought a Polaris Ranger to run and do my surveying in. To check trail cameras, the feeder, run off trespassers :naughty:. I will be going out on some evenings to check deer trails and such and I would like to have a handheld spotlight to assist me. Trying to search types, styles, manufacturers, reviews, has been a dawnting (spell check) task. So I'm hoping that some gurus, and novices, may have a few suggestions for this rookie :laughing: . Please excuse my termanology as I describe what I'm looking for. I did look at the post on how to describe what I want :green:.

I'm primarily interested in the "Pistol Grip" style of spotlight. I think that will be more comfortable for me to use and grip from inside the Ranger. It has a cab.

So, Budget isn't really an issue except that, I'm not looking to spend a fortune. So lets make it < $300.00 bucks.

Looking for one that has a rechargeable battery. And, but not mandatory, can be used with a 12V power cord when needed (when battery dies).

From what I've read, HID will be the way to go for me. Was originally looking for halogen (until I found you guys :laughing:). Unless someone can convince me, I'm still not sold on LED.

Don't want a light that has a "bluish" haze in it's illumination. I'm nearly blind in one eye and headlights like that give me a headache.

It will be used primarily for spotting deer, and other critters on my property (and a little fun). It's mostly wooded, and has a field of about six to eight acres. So I guess a reach of 50-150 yards?

Looking for one that will illuminate somewhat to the sides as well. Not a "Pencil" type of beam. I guess that's called spill? :crackup:

And run time on a charge? I don't know? 30-40 minutes? I can always plug it in. Walking thru the woods at night doesn't appeal to me since Bear have been spotted there the past few years. Had a bad experiance with a black bear once when I was about 14 bowhunting in upper pennsylvania. But that's for another day :laughing:.

So I hope that's enough information for someone to assist me in finding a decent spotlight. Thru the years my Dad always had some type of flashlight with him. Small ones, big ones, square ones, round ones. He mounted one of the old chrome tear drop spotlights, the one that mounted in the A-pillar and was controlled from inside the vehicle, in his Bronco. Any way, I think maybe he was a closet flashaholic! :laughing: And I'm always trying to find a way to better illuminate my rides. Heck, I'll even find an excuse to go out at night so I can play ;). Thanks guys for any suggestions you can make.............Take Care!

Uncaged94

Newly Enlightened
Kirkwood, Delaware. About five miles north of the
OK. After a few more searches, I came accross threads about the Stanley 10w FatMax LED spotlight. The HIDC10, and the HID0109 (which looks like it's a renamed 3000?) HID spotlights. I still wasn't entirely sold on a LED "spotlight" though. The HIDs' looked like they may fit the bill. But just by thier nature, it would take maybe more than a few moments to come to full illumination. I know this just from my own experiance with the HID driving lights I have on my truck. Until recently I've always been a "Halogen" guy primarily because I was leary of HIDs'. So there we have it. I figured I was happy with my HID driving lights, so maybe I'll give the Stanley 10w FatMax a shot. It seemed to be a better light (on paper and by review) than the other Stanley LED spotlights (the pair of 5 watters that are out). And at about 50.00 bucks, well..... it's just 50.00 bucks. Now for the search. Apparently they are hard to find. They are not on the company website either. Are they a now discontinued item perhapes? 'cause even on line I had a hard time finding a vendor who had them. Not even on Ebay, Ebay! Well, Walmart was suppose to carry them. I was heading out that way anyhow, so I figured I'd take a shot. Went in, went back to the hunting/fishing area. Thought I'd try there first. They had some Black and Decker stuff, lanterns, and few Non-name brands, and a couple of the 5 watters. Not what I was looking for. So instead of wearing my feet and back out, I asked someone if they had any more spotlights. The guy said "yea. Are you looking to work on your car?". I said no, just need a spotlight. So he walked me over to the hardware section by the paints. And there they were! A few of the Stanley 5 watters, and a couple of other brands, and two (2) Stanley 10w FatMaxs'. I scarfed both of those puppies up. With my luck, one or both would be bad. And if not I'd keep one in the Ranger and one in either the truck or the trailer out in West Virginia. After getting a few movies I brought them home, Carefully ripped them out of the packages, and tried them out. They work! YEAAAAAAAAAA. So I plugged them in and anxiously awaited for night time. Darkness fell and I was soon afoot out the door. Just my luck, as I went out the slider, a copper chopper was flying over head. Who tipped 'em off? I live in the burbs and my house edges on some woods. I hit the switch to fire it up, and it lit up the woods. WOW! I was pleasently surprised. I never expected a little single "Diode Looking Thingee" would do the job. I think I may even look into some LED lighting for the Ranger now. We'll see. After a few more nights of playing, I'll see if I can post up some pics. I'm a Brontosarous when it comes to all this computer stuff. Heck, I just got a no-frills cell phone last year just because my family was complaining.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Glad you're enjoying your new toy; I'd give the Stanley HID a hearty recommendation if not for the color temperature, it's quite blue. But being able to throw a hotspot a half mile away and light up entire hillsides makes up for a lot of sins!