Review: JetBeam JET II Pro

Budda

Enlightened
I received the JetBeam Jet II Pro from GearBest for the review.

Official Specs
LED: Cree XP-L HI
Max output: 510 lumen
Reflector: orange peel reflector
Lens: Coated mineral glass
Material of body: Aero grade aluminum alloy
Finish:Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish of grey.
Battery: 1*16340 or CR123

Length: 67.8 mm
Diameter of head: 23 mm
Diameter of tail: 22.3 mm
Weight: 47.5 gram (without battery)

The Jet II Pro comes in this simple plastic box, that can be opened without cutting it.

Inside the box: the light, the strike bezel, warranty card, manual and spare o-rings.

The Jet II Pro has definitely some character: in my opinion the design is the most distinctive feature of this light. The HAIII anodization is a very dark green, as seen on the Jet-I and Jet-u.

The light comes with the "plain" bezel on it, that can be removed to mount the "strike" bezel.

The strike bezel itself can be mounted in the reverse position, making it easier to carry (practically as the easy as carrying the plain bezel).

A cool white HP-L Hi emitter in the short OP reflector. Glass with AR treatment on top of it.

Anodized threads allow physical lockout of the light. The tailcap has a golden spring that is bent in position.

The tailcap allows tailstand, and has 3 holes for lanyards.

The metallic switch on the head has a spiral motive on it.
DSCN2263_zpsxsacat6q.jpg

It has a short run, with light to medium strength. The switch doesn't protrude a lot from the surface, and I find the clip really useful to help me individuate it.
On the other side of the switch there is the JetBeam/Niteye logo.

The clip is kept in position by the pressure of the tailcap. It has a small protrusion that prevents the rotation of the clip. The protrusion accommodates on one of the 2 available dents on the body.
Some may think to glue a tritium vial in the central milling of the clip. Who am I to judge them?

The clip rests on the dissipating fins, this makes the clip really grab on the fabric especially when you pull the light from your clothes. It reminds me of my Zebralight SC31w, that had the same issue.
Size comparison with another 1xCR123 powered light: the Olight S1R.

UI
A single click turns the light on and off.
From off, a single click turns the light on at the last used mode.
When the light is on, keep pressed to cycle between the modes: hi, medium, low, hi, medium, low.
From off, a double click turns the light on at moonlight mode.
A triple click will activate the strobe mode. The light doesn't have memory for strobe mode.
There is an electronic lockout feature: from off keep the switch pressed for more than 3 seconds. The light will blink and it will be locked. To unlock it keep pressed the switch for more than 3 seconds.

Output and runtime
I tested the output and runtime of the light with an Efest IMR 16340 battery.
Output_zpsu2symeut.png

The output is consistent with the specifications.

Runtime plot
Runtime_zpsd60hd9bs.png

Beware that the lights has the tendency to over discharge the battery. At the end of the runtime test at hi mode, I measured 3.2 volts on my battery. Ouch!

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall

My thoughts
This light is well made and has a really distinctive look. I like the two bezels, in particular I like the reversible strike bezel. I have not used it in defensive application, but I don't have doubt about its effectiveness.
The UI is fine, although it misses a direct access to high mode.
The regulation is fine, but it tents to over discharge unprotected batteries. I suggest you to stick to protected batteries, given that there is no real performance benefit running unprotected batteries, like the IMR I used in the review.

Thanks to AntoLed for lending me the camera and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
At $51.45 USD that strike bezel could turn anyones day "bad" furisouly quick. It has a distinct look to say the least especially compared to the s1r baton. For the same size roughly i would rather choose the 900lm for for $15 more.

Budda

Enlightened
If you look around you wil find deals for the Jetbeam that will make it more affordable.

Doomsday

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the light so small that the strike bezel wouldn't stick out at all or much if you hold the light in your palm and make a fist?
Or you have hold half the light only to strike someone/something? Which is pretty pointless and ineffective.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
great review Budda! Olight S1R S already? Ill buy it but not for awhile just busted the light fund on Olights new Mini S1. My experience with the Jetbeam so far-I really like the distinctive design of the light. Despite its small size the aggressive strike bezel will indeed ruin someones day if needed. That being said the light has a bad habit of locking itself out should you turn it on and off and on again to quickly have found I have to wait about 5 seconds between turning it on and off if I dont it locks out.

The light is ultra sensitive to proper placement of the pocket clip into one of the tiny notches for it. Whenever I recharge the AW 16340 I have in it I always find myself fighting with the light trying to move the clip by a hair this way or that when its in its notch trying to complete the current path.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one of these and am pretty excited for it!
This one has the 2 things that I need in an EDC pocket carry every time,Lockout AND Clip that can not come off on its own!

I have been pretty happy with every other Jetbeam that I have had so I have no reason to expect anything else with this one.

One odd feature is the Timer function which I think it shares with certain Olights?
Wonder if they buy driver chips from each other or the same place?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
after a couple months with the JET II Pro I have got to say that vs my other thumb sized lights the Jetbeam is a disappointment. The LED in my Pro is 2mm off center. The UI is horrible on my Pro. There is no one click to turn it on it requires a double click which brings it on in its low mode. Holding the switch down it will go from low to max. From there a double click gives me access to the other modes. I have to go through this every time I use it. Still if I do not wait a few seconds between turning it off then on again it locks out. Horrible UI and very poor QC for the very off center LED. A huge shame as I really like the design of the light. I took the new AW 16340 out of it and will be putting it into the far better Olight S Mini polished titanium that I will have tomorrow.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
after a couple months with the JET II Pro I have got to say that vs my other thumb sized lights the Jetbeam is a disappointment. The LED in my Pro is 2mm off center. The UI is horrible on my Pro. There is no one click to turn it on it requires a double click which brings it on in its low mode. Holding the switch down it will go from low to max. From there a double click gives me access to the other modes. I have to go through this every time I use it. Still if I do not wait a few seconds between turning it off then on again it locks out. Horrible UI and very poor QC for the very off center LED. A huge shame as I really like the design of the light. I took the new AW 16340 out of it and will be putting it into the far better Olight S Mini polished titanium that I will have tomorrow.
Funny you should post this!
I just got mine in Black Ti and it is an amzting looking light but it is doing EXACTLY what yours does?Nothing when you press the switch at all unless pressing it twice for Moonlight or Thrice for Strobe?
Then I can only get Moon or High but nothing in between.

So I called GG where mine is from and evidently they tested several there and they all do this!
How strange and feeble of QC is this?

So mine will be going back I guess and I am not sure what I will do next?

My Ti S-Mini works fine and I like its tint too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
after experimenting with the light a bit more I finally got the UI to work right. The problem is that my copy locks out so easily it is actually hard NOT to lock it out. That being said the LED in my copy is 2mm off center which just blows as the retailer I got it from only has a 30 day return policy. The off center LED is off enough that the light puts out an awful beam profile. The hot spot is ill shapen and very clearly off center from the center of the beam when I shine it straight at a white wall. Very frustrating. If the LED was centered correctly it would be a usable light but as it is it is pretty much useless. Thank goodness for my Fenix RC09, Olight S1, S1A and 2 S Minis that all just blow the Jet II Pro away

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
after experimenting with the light a bit more I finally got the UI to work right. The problem is that my copy locks out so easily it is actually hard NOT to lock it out. That being said the LED in my copy is 2mm off center which just blows as the retailer I got it from only has a 30 day return policy. The off center LED is off enough that the light puts out an awful beam profile. The hot spot is ill shapen and very clearly off center from the center of the beam when I shine it straight at a white wall. Very frustrating. If the LED was centered correctly it would be a usable light but as it is it is pretty much useless. Thank goodness for my Fenix RC09, Olight S1, S1A and 2 S Minis that all just blow the Jet II Pro away
Holy Cow!
You are right,and I am happy to know it too!
That Lockout timing has a "Hair Trigger" and when locked out the light acts as though it doesn't work.......almost.
Oddly enough the UI is very similar to the Olight really but with terrible timing.

Anyway I really appreciate the news as mine has a decent beam and good centering and I almost have to keep it ,have you seen this thing?
bf1fd636d1e88b81fd16b3ebf24414b7.jpg
39331f730e5afe76ce496d75fbaa85bf.jpg
837c2870d2e800ecceb43350741699b1.jpg
d0779ebc393bbb2d3f4532c34b3306c1.jpg

Its Beautiful!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is AWESOME! How is the tint? I finally figured out how to keep the UI working right. When the light is off press and hold down the switch for about a minute. The light will kind of flicker for a few seconds or it is flashing extremely quickly. As soon as that stops take your finger off the button and the UI should be working fine.

kito

Newly Enlightened
To AVService or anyone else who owns the titanium version, I'm looking for measurements of the tritium slots. I'm trying to figure out if 1.5x6mm vials are the largest that will fit or if I can cram some 2x6mm vials in there.

Thanks!

Holy Cow!
You are right,and I am happy to know it too!
That Lockout timing has a "Hair Trigger" and when locked out the light acts as though it doesn't work.......almost.
Oddly enough the UI is very similar to the Olight really but with terrible timing.

Anyway I really appreciate the news as mine has a decent beam and good centering and I almost have to keep it ,have you seen this thing?

[photos removed]

Its Beautiful!

kito

Newly Enlightened
To AVService or anyone else who owns the titanium version, I'm looking for measurements of the tritium slots. I'm trying to figure out if 1.5x6mm vials are the largest that will fit or if I can cram some 2x6mm vials in there.

Thanks!

I did get this figured out. For anyone wondering, the tritium slots can only support vials up to 1.5x6mm. It looks freaking great with them installed, though! I did two blue and 2 green.