Review: Survivor Touch Powerbank 5000 (mAh) by Sandberg

martin71

Newly Enlightened
This is my first review.
The flashlight is "Survivor Touch Powerbank 5000 (mAh)"
https://sandberg.world/en-dk/product/survivor-torch-powerbank-5000
by the Danish company Sandberg. They make solid and budget priced products, but it is difficult to find webshops that ship outside Denmark. It can be found at proshop.dk for 280 danishe kroner which is 38 euro or 42 usd. It can be found at 47 euro at https://jagtkompagniet.dk/products/sandberg-survivor-torch and they sent it world wide.
https://sandberg.world/en-dk
The specs from the website:
Battery capacity: 5000 mAh / 18.5 Wh
• USB-A output: 5V/2A
• USB-C input: 5V/2A, 9V/2A (by included USB-A to USB-C cable only)
• Running time 6-8 hours
• Charging time 2.5 hours 18 Watt
• Light intensity: 1200 Lumens (lm)
• XHP160LED
• IPX4 waterproof case
• 5 light modes: Strong, medium, low, hazard flash, SOS
• Telescopic zoom mode
• Range up to 500 meters
• Size: 178 x 50 x 50 mm
• Weight: 341 g
• Aluminum case
• Lithium-ion battery
It is basically a rechargeable single LED flashlight that has a 5000 mAh Li-ion battery and that functions as a powerbank as well.

Physical data and the construction:

It is indeed about 18 cm long and the weight is 431 g. It feels well built and with a good finish. There are ring carvings that provides a solid grip. The "back" side is where the charging and outlet sockets are placed behind a rubber cap. The cap is fastened via a small rubber cord, which in my opinion is too small /weak. Mine has already a tear. USB -C for charging and USB-A for powerbank.
Mcbgn0.jpgCOrUgb.jpg

The size and placement of the on/off/mode button fits my quite big hand just fine. The 4 battery indicators light up when turned on by a single push on the circular rubber button which is elevated 1 mm above the flat area around the button. The fucus is adjusted by pushing the front forward, and the front can rotate freely. I am not sure what mechanism that provides the minor resistance. But the fucus is kind of possible to adjust with my thumb by pushing / pulling on the flattend parts of the front head.

6zHT10.jpgGbqaSX.jpgFR7dAq.jpgsliPuD.jpg

The front part has the curved lens and carved out areas that can serve as heat dissipation if lit when standing on end, and also makes it possible to see that the light is on. The company says that the construction of the front makes it possible to use it as an emergency hammer for breaking glass. Even though I like the easy focus, I speculate that maybe it is more durable to make it a threaded, so you must screw the head in order to change focus. One of my favorite LED lasers has that kind of focus. The inside view with the battery out. There is a strong spring in the end cap which requires 8 twists to unscrew. The spring touches the battery even before the end cap thread touches the handle, which ensures that the battery is hold firmly in place and has a good electrical connection. It is not possible to unscrew the cap to prevent accidental turn on.

9wLeTf.jpgh2XruR.jpg

There is a single O-ring at the end cap. It feels tight, but to ensure the waterproof classification I would prefer a double O-ring.

The Light:

Turning the flashlight on by pushing the button once starts the lamp on the brightest setting.
CPPHUK.jpg

Distance is 2,5 m and it is not easy to see the difference between the brightness modes on the pictures, but it is clearly visible with the naked eye.

Medium focus:
D9FJBV.jpg

The refraction rainbow is visible.

Full focus (or defocus):
ToWv2X.jpg

Outside:
Trees at a distance of 100 m

sAXnb1.jpg
At 20 m full focus and high intensity
wRzU61.jpg

Defocus 20 m full intensity:
WnpqVh.jpg

I did not have a helper but would like to provide beam shots close up at 100 m.

The next mode is flashing, and there is a SOS mode also. After that it turns off. There is also a possibility of holding the button for 3 seconds to turn off.

Other:

There is a string attached to the end. It fits my big hand and is ok.

Pros:
Construction is solid
Price is low
Focusable
Rechargable
Powerbank
Battery indicator
Bright

Cons:
Tear too weak rubber cord for cap holding.
No lock mechanism to prevent accidental on.

Improovements:
Magnet holder
Doubble O-ring
Battery clip for belt
Lock mode (against accidental on)
Threaded lamp head to ensure durability of the focus mechanism and better IP rating.