Ryobi 40 Volt 300-Watt Power Source RYI300BG

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Ryobi 40 volt batteries. I am looking at buying one of the Ryobi 40 volt 300 watt power sources RYI300BG to use with my 40 volt batteries.

The Included Outlets are listed as (1) USB-A , (1) USB-C & (1) 120V Outlet.

If I want to power a 12-volt device, what would be the best way to do it?

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS Watts ....................................................... 300 Watts Continuous

DC Input ................................................................... 40 Volts DC

AC Output ...................................................120 Volts, 2.5 Amps

USB Output*:

USB-A...................... 5/9/12 Volts, up to 36 Watts

USB-C ...........5/9/12/15/20 Volts, up to 40 Watts

Output Wave Form .............................................Pure Sine Wave

*USB ports share internal circuitry. If USB-A is in use, USB-C will supply 5V output only.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If you have those 40V batteries, I'd say go for it.
That its pure wave AC is great.

There's a seller on ebay that has a clearly unopened unit for $85

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now looking at USB-A to 12 volt and USB-C to 12 volt adapters. I am inclined to buy the USB C to Car Cigarette Lighter Cable Converter.

Can anybody here see any reason to go with a USB-A converter?

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
The USB-A version you linked looks like an actual power converter taking in 5v and stepping it up to 12v. The USB-C version is a communication module that command 12v from USB-C PD.

There are two mainstream USB alternate voltage protocols widely in use. They're Qualcomm QC and USB PD. You're not using 5v to generate a different voltage, but data wires are used to communicate to the power adapter to provide a different voltage.

I am not sure what you're trying to power but don't count on over 2A. In the specifications, it says:
"(1) Household Outlet, 120V 2.5A & (1) USB-A Port, 5/9/12V 3A max. & (1) USB-C Port, 5/9/12/20V 2A max."

If you get the 12v QC trigger cord/board, then you might be able to get 12v 3A. However, for this particular Ryobi unit, 2A appears to be the limit for USB-C side.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Free shipping (to home) and on sale; Today only...

Ryobi1.jpg

Reactions: JAS