jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
11.jpg

2.png

1.jpg

4.jpg

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice photo Jon, is there a source to buy some sort of pebble film that can be cut round? Id like to try some pebble film or lens on some of my lights and I'm having a hard time finding it

20-22mm would be what I need

Every pebbled lens I can find is convex and not flat

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a pic of the optic? I'd think that would be the most important part of this light. I have to wonder why they'd choose this though. That is already a very floody led. Especially in such a small light. And then they diffused it more. I could understand if it was a headlamp

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
pebble film
some people buy DCFix from Boaz on BLF. It is an adhesive textured film that you cut to fit. The glass lens makes a good template.
pic of the optic?
the 30 degree Pebbled Tir I installed came from Aliex.
8zMXeJz.jpg

In stock form the light arrives with a reflector that produces an excellent focused hotspot plus spill. Since the LH351d LED has a large dome, it produces a larger hotspot than a smaller LED
1fL7iri.jpg

here is the reflector beam w a small LED, 660nm Red:
ySTuKCr.jpg

I do not call larger hotspots in reflectors Floody.. to me Floody looks like this:
duY32CU.jpg

I like Pebbled Tir beams for indoor distances. They produce a more even field of light, that I find very useful. Reflectors work well at outdoor distances. Both have their pros and cons.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah. I thought it was stock. About the floody thing fair enough. I expect about 5000 cd+ for something like 400 lumens. Obviously more cd for more output. Anything less I'd consider floody. Think an sst-20 in a convoy s2+ smo reflector. That's at the minimum I'd consider acceptable. Perfect would be around 25kcd for 400L

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Does anyone make a flat pebbled type lens?

I know I can that 3M stuff on a roll and it's basically converts standard lens to pebble But I'd rather just have an actual plastic one piece flat pebbled lens

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect about 5000 cd+ for something like 400 lumens.
that is 12.5 Candela per Lumen
fwiw, the HDS beam is 15 CD/Lm w a 219b (3000 candela at 200 lumens)
Stock HDS w 219b on Left, HDS w DeDomed 519a on right
8jyaX3Y.png

there are also clear Tir Lenses that can produce very focused beams, for example the LED version of the Surefire Aviator.. The difference is a Tir does not produce a spill around the hotspot..

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
a dedomed 519a will make a slightly messy hotspot.
very true, dedoming gives up the clearly defined circular boundary of the hotpot in a reflector (as pictured for HDS).. but the pebbled Tir diffuses the dedomed 519a more evenly (as pictured in the SC21 Pro)

> Acrylite FF P-99 Acrylic Lens the lens comes in 1.9mm and the lens thickness I need is 1.3mm

I dont understand the photo in that link, but you might be able to live w the extra 0.6mm thickness, it will just create a slightly larger bezel gap.. give it a try ;-)

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is 12.5 Candela per Lumen
fwiw, the HDS beam is 15 CD/Lm w a 219b (3000 candela at 200 lumens)
Stock HDS w 219b on Left, HDS w DeDomed 519a on right
View attachment 52642

there are also clear Tir Lenses that can produce very focused beams, for example the LED version of the Surefire Aviator.. The difference is a Tir does not produce a spill around the hotspot.
Ya I got a kit from convoy that had 5 different optics for the s2+. I tried the most narrow one but did not care for it and went back to the reflector. I was expecting something like the surefire optic lights but it just made a huge hotspot. I was hoping for more throw. I've just ordered an m21a with 519A. That big reflector should give a pretty good beam.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered an m21a with 519A. That big reflector should give a pretty good beam.
I hope it works well for you, please post your impressions ;-)

fwiw, the Aviator is making 37 Candela per Lumen (9300cd@ 250lm).. THAT is throwy

The M21B in this review is making 23cd/lm
(did not find an M21a, dont know the differences, and changing to 519a will change the math)

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

fwiw, the Aviator is making 37 Candela per Lumen (9300cd@ 250lm).. THAT is throwy

(did not find an M21a, dont know the differences, and changing to 519a will change the math)
The m21a is a c8 but with a 21700 body. I've never seen the led aviator in person, but from my reading it was disliked specifically because it is so floody. So I'm surprised to hear it's on the throwy side. For me best led beam I've ever seen is the 400L model of the streamlight polystinger. I believe it's an xp-e and it's about 24k candela. I

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fwiw the aviator LED model uses a very tightly focused Tir, totally different than the early model

The Streamlight Polystinger specs produce 58 candela per lumen (extremely focused)

here is the 30 degree pebbled Tir, next to the Reflector beam, both lights use the same SC21 Host, at the same distance from the wall:
IMG_5743.jpg

reflectors produce hotspot plus spill, Tir produce hotspot w no spill

For reference the Candela Per Lumen of the stock SC21 Pro w stock reflector and stock LH351d is 7.6 cd/lm
For comparison, the floody Wurkkos triple LED TS10 gives 4.8 cd/lm

The 30 degree Tir in my SC21 makes a beam about the same diameter (similar candela per lumen), as the TS10.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

First impression? It's bright. It's very bright. Lol. And throwy. And the nicest tint/cri I've ever seen. I chose 5000k for dedoming but now I'm not so sure I want to. I'm having a hard time preferring incans after a walk with this thing. 35%mode(400 lumens) and 100%(1000L) is hard to distinguish. The 10%(150L?) is damn near perfect for walking around. But even the 30% mode lit up a barn 250m in a very impressive way. Oh and maybe silly, but I really like the orange glowing switch I installed

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
And this thing is 65000cd and 900L. So 72cd/lumen. Guess that's considered a very throwy beam? It's pretty intense. I may be starting to come around on this whole floody light thing. Last few nights I've been carrying my s2+ with the 25 degree optic. It's very floody and definitely not as efficient as a tighter beam, but I have plenty of battery capacity. So why not use 150L instead of 50L. It's easier on the eyes and lights up a bigger area. The m21a is honestly a little too intense as a dog walking light. In the darkness even the ~15L low is intense pointed directly at something. And everything else is dark. Tomorrow hopefully I'll have my TS-10 and we'll see how I like a very floody light

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. So I got it about an hour and a half ago and I've been playing with it. I will update more in the thread than I started last week. But I was definitely wrong with some things. And I'm glad I picked this up.