Scalloped tailcap for a Surefire needed

wbnash

Newly Enlightened
I am on the hunt for one of the scalloped tailcaps for my E1B Backup flashlight. It is the same tailcap as found on the E2D Defender.

Any thoughts on where I can purchase one? They do not show up on Surefire's site as being available.

Thanks,

Walter

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am on the hunt for one of the scalloped tailcaps
You may call it that, of course, but crenelations are not decorative. They are defensive and offensive, though as of yet, I have never heard of anyone employing them. Good luck with your hunt.

wbnash

Newly Enlightened
You may call it that, of course, but crenelations are not decorative. They are defensive and offensive, though as of yet, I have never heard of anyone employing them. Good luck with your hunt.
Surefire calls the tailcap "scalloped" and the front bezel "crenellated" on the Defender. I used to call both ends crenellated.

I understand they are not decorative and what their real purpose is. I have found that on the short Backup, the scalloped tailcap keeps the light from pushing forward out of my hand when I thumb the switch. Surefire makes a similar cap, but not scalloped, on the Vampire. It is hard for me to get my thumb over the lip on that one to hit the switch. On the scalloped one my thumb drops into the depression and hits the switch easily.

I had one of the scalloped tailcaps on another Backup I had (found that one on Ebay), but that Backup ran off from me!

wbnash

Newly Enlightened
You might email or call surefire to see if they would sell you one. Otherwise check on ebay.

I reached out to Surefire some time ago, but have not yet gotten a response.

I will keep checking Ebay.

I just thought some of you folks on here might know of another source.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
You could get a z68 tailcap, it's what comes on the aviator and is basically a defender tailcap without crenellations. Most importantly, surefire sells these as a seperate item and they are easy to acquire pretty much anywhere.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I reached out to Surefire some time ago, but have not yet gotten a response.

I will keep checking Ebay.

I just thought some of you folks on here might know of another source.
Doesn't lumens factory have one like that?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
3B331A67-D3C0-4838-AE3F-64EBDE2B8210.jpeg

Something like this?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory makes good stuff. I actually prefer the fully round bottoms to the crenulated, but the OEM crenulated switches seem a lot harder to find these days. :cool:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
but that Backup ran off from me!
I had an E1e-BK do the same to me.
Just went to Lumens Factory and cannot find this available now....sigh
Here you go: z68 Defender style tritium slotted
FWIW the Lumens Factory tailcaps come with a McClicky switch, which has less resistance and a higher amp rating than the stock Surefire switch, 6A@12V is the highest I have seen claimed, but most say it is a 5A switch. iirc, the Surefire clickies have a 3A current rating, though the twisties are probably much higher.

Also mentioned above: z68-BK tailcap, also comes in TN (tan).

Not for nothing, there are three different Backup tailcaps (and I believe not fully compatible with each other, note the thread lengths below), the longer ones are a dual-mode tailcap twisty, I believe... never seen either IRL myself. The missing one looks like the one on the middle left but is as long as the one on the middle right with the collar, but without the collar.

tzHcsno_d.webp

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just the lighting, but that doesn't look like the Tan/FDE version, it looks like type III nat to me. The tan/fde version is normally much lighter in color.

wbnash

Newly Enlightened
I had an E1e-BK do the same to me.

Here you go: z68 Defender style tritium slotted
FWIW the Lumens Factory tailcaps come with a McClicky switch, which has less resistance and a higher amp rating than the stock Surefire switch, 6A@12V is the highest I have seen claimed, but most say it is a 5A switch. iirc, the Surefire clickies have a 3A current rating, though the twisties are probably much higher.

Also mentioned above: z68-BK tailcap, also comes in TN (tan).

Not for nothing, there are three different Backup tailcaps (and I believe not fully compatible with each other, note the thread lengths below), the longer ones are a dual-mode tailcap twisty, I believe... never seen either IRL myself. The missing one looks like the one on the middle left but is as long as the one on the middle right with the collar, but without the collar.

tzHcsno_d.webp

Got one ordered! Thanks...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just the lighting, but that doesn't look like the Tan/FDE version, it looks like type III nat to me. The tan/fde version is normally much lighter in color.
I've never seen or heard of a z68 in natural. Have you? I think they only come in BK and TN. There are no Scouts in HA NAT, afa I know, just black and tan.

With a little color correction:

gfnFnZv_d.webp

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I think you are correct. Now that I look at the picture again, it appears to have the thicker cerakote of the tan/FDE finish, along with the lighter color. And you're right, I don't know of any type III nat Z68's, aside from what Lumen's Factory offers. Not sure what I was thinking there.

wbnash

Newly Enlightened
I found a Surefire scalloped tailcap on Ebay and ordered it as a backup. They are indeed much more difficult to find these days.

Thanks for the guidance folks...