Small tactical light for home defense shotgun

Teppka

Newly Enlightened
It's pump shotgun which is primarily used for home defense. Since it will be mounted on pump forend I need it to be small. I already have mlock mount for 1" light so that's the diameter I need. No need for built-in rail mounts, just a light with 1" diameter throughout the body.

- Length - shorter the better. Most important thing is it needs to be reliable and withstand 12ga recoil, so I assume minimum 2 springs.

- Need mechanical tail switch, preferably single mode.

- Batteries can be CR123A or rechargeable (replaceable) CR123A or bigger cells. If rechargeable I'll need the light to have USB-C port.

- Not gonna swim with my shotgun, so protection against rain/dust will suffice.

- Budget: <$100 would be nice. So no Surefire.

Will appreciate your recommendations. I already did some research and am looking at Klarus XT2CR Pro pretty closely. Would also appreciate your thoughts on this one.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC. Take the clip off or leave it on to see if it'll work with your 1 inch mount. The middle diameter of the light may be less than 1 inch, but it'll be easy to add some rubber as a spacer to make up the difference. Gene usually gets them back in stock fairly quick

There's a 20% off coupon he offers so should bring price down around $100

Potted. Made in USA. Lifetime warranty. These will withstand recoil from a 12g

Teppka

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff MDC. Take the clip off or leave it on to see if it'll work with your 1 inch mount. The middle diameter of the light may be less than 1 inch, but it'll be easy to add some rubber as a spacer to make up the difference. Gene usually gets them back in stock fairly quick

There's a 20% off coupon he offers so should bring price down around $100

Potted. Made in USA. Lifetime warranty. These will withstand recoil from a 12g

Thanks but I'm not sure it's going to work for me. Besides me being in Eastern EU which will make this light with delivery + customs in $200 range, its the shape. Head seems to be 1" while body is significantly narrower. So my 1" mount can only hold the head which will position the light way back. Is there any other options you could recommend?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
since your in eastern EU your options may be limited. If you want a reliable quality light then expect to pay big $$. I would search eBay or put a WTB here and maybe someone can ship internationally. User @desert.snake is in eastern EU. He has all kinds of Surefire products for sale and possibly able to help you out

Last edited:

Teppka

Newly Enlightened
since your in eastern EU your options may be limited. If you want a reliable quality light then expect to pay big $$. I would search eBay or put a WTB here and maybe someone can ship internationally. User desertsnake is in eastern EU. He has all kinds of Surefire products for sale and possibly able to help you out
Thanks. I decided to go ahead with Klarus model I mentioned. It's within my budget and ticks almost all boxes. I was mainly looking at Fenix lights for EDC before but apparently they are almost none-existent in weapon lights. Main players in long gun lights field are Surefire, Streamlight, Arisaka bodies with Malkof heads and Olight. I couldn't find anything suitable with all of them. Klarus on the other hand also seems to be a known brand, ao it's not a no-name Amazon buy.

Teppka

Newly Enlightened
Good luck. Highly doubt that will withstand recoil from a 12 gauge. It is not potted. Also it's multimode which is not good for a weapon mounted light. You want single output only
True, this is why it has two modes, EDC and Tactical. In Tac mode it's single output.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2X Pro is available in Europe for about 100€.

It has a dual output of 15/600 lumens and a 1" body diameter. For home defense it makes sense to keep it loaded with the pair of CR123's supplied.

If you want the single mode then the Surefire 6PX Tactical is the same dimensions in an aluminium body with 600 lumens.

The cheapest price in Europe for the 6PX Pro, a quick google search found, is 129€.

Teppka

Newly Enlightened
Surefire G2X Pro is available in Europe for about 100€.

It has a dual output of 15/600 lumens and a 1" body diameter. For home defense it makes sense to keep it loaded with the pair of CR123's supplied.

If you want the single mode then the Surefire 6PX Tactical is the same dimensions in an aluminium body with 600 lumens.

The cheapest price in Europe for the 6PX Pro, a quick google search found, is 129€.
Thanks for suggestion. As I mentioned I need the light to be 1" throughout the body. Surefire model you suggest reads dimensions on the website as 1.25 in (3.175 in). In any case I already ordered Klarus. Thanks.