Sure a2 main beam CCT

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading a lot of threads on here about this light, I was expecting the beam to be a crystalline white and all other incandescent lights to be yellow😁
But one thing I've noticed and I'm not sure if this is normal. To me, it isn't that white. I mean it's a good high temp incandescent beam. But I have others that are whiter and they aren't anything special.
My two whitest beams are a 6 cell magnum star (pr based xenon) powered by 2x imr18650s and surprisingly a cheap dx 3.7v "15w" p60 type drop in powered by the same imr18650
The aviator matches the colour of my ultrastinger, tads 7212 bi-pin powered by 2x 18500, and tads 7218 powered by 2x 21700 cells, and LF eo4 on imr 18650
Maybe at the time, the aviator was before rechargeable lithium cells. I'll admit, I've never had or used a cr123 powered Incan before this and maybe those cells couldn't provide the steadish voltage of lithium ions.
From what I can tell all contacts are clean. I even removed the led ring to confirm the red leds we're not colouring the beam. And bypassed the switch to account for possible resistance in the switch.
This is just white wall, when in use outside I can't tell. It just looks great.
As I said I don't have a p60 or mn03 or anything lithium primary based to compare against.
The ma02 is not darkened and looks new but I do not have any way of knowing how much use it has had previously

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I think (gets me in trouble, lol.) the MA-02 was driven at optimal regulated voltage for bulb life and battery life. Not to give the whitest cct, which often results from overdriving the bulb. Combined with the soft start function of the regulator, it's a pretty impressive piece of technology. Ahead of it's time, and still relevant today. I agree, the A2 beam is great.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK once said (replacing his colorful metaphors with beep)
"(beep) regulated incan (beep) light bulb was the only (beep) to do that back then. No (beep) body else would think to do a (beep) regulated light bulb at that time, (beep) can you believe no (beep) body else could do that (beep) back then? Only SureFire did that (beep).

In other words it was designed to burn at the same output until the battery could no longer provide enough volts and being it was built for combat duty, provide maximum lifespan possible. Too hot and it blows premature. Too cool and the globe gets covered with soot.

It had just the right mixture of xenon and krypton to where the spent gases could actually help heal the filament as it decayed by the spent gas attaching itself to the filament for longer lifespan.

The A2 Aviator was a marvelous invention that replaced 1940's aviator technology by JustRite where a colored filter was used to cover the #222 bulb in a 2xAA flashlight. The A2 combined LED tech, with regulated incan tech to produce a very reliable flashlight with predictable operation via another marvelous invention now called the "gas pedal tailcap".

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I agree I think it's an impressive achievement even by todays standards. I've held a new premium surefire light. It's in no way as well built as this 15-20 year old light. Regulated incandescent is awesome. I'll have the same brightness and cct just before the batteries die as when they're fresh. I'm in no way complaining. Just checking to make sure I don't have any issues with it as the cct isn't blowing me away like most of the previous reviews have stated. This light has mostly been compared against other two x CR 123a power tactical lights which I have no experience with.
But I was impressed by the tads 7212 on 3x cr123a and it stayed white pretty decently

scout24

Flashaholic
Might be worth researching or trying the HO-A2 bulb from Lumensfactory, I can't recall how the comparisons went as far as perceived color temp and rendering. May have to buy a couple here before long, I'm not sure I have any MA-02 bulbs in reserve... 🧐

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I'll probably grab one of those. Unfortunately, I'm not paying $18 usd for shipping a tiny lamp assembly. So I'll have to find another way. The lamp assembly is already quite pricey. Also don't want to start anything against lumens factory, but I had an eo9 with less than an hour burn out. I was told these things happen. They're quite expensive lamp assemblies to have such a short lamp life

Last edited:

aaronu

Newly Enlightened
Agree with vicv.

I am not super discerning about color temp stuff but I never thought my A2 was particularly pure. And I've had a few lights to compare (Surefire P60/P90 lights, Foursevens lights etc.).

But on the other hand I've had an original A2 (square body, green LED's) since they first came out. I've dropped it on hard surfaces, had it "borrowed" by my kids who would twist it on and leave it outside until the batteries died and numerous other insults. It's still on the first bulb.

It's the light that refuses to die. ;)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2 bulbs rarely die. I even have one that the wire broke on. Soldered it back a long time ago and it still works fine. Can't get it to die. I normally run it on two imr16350's with a Koala onion ring. I've said forever how the beam is not perfect white like some like to claim and will argue. Most non-regulated Surefire lamp assemblies are whiter on fresh cr123a's.

hamhanded

Enlightened
Nice, I happen to have everything needed to take photos of this!

Left to right in all photos: genuine P60, genuine MA-02 (unknown age), LF HO-A2 (<2 hours on it). Fresh CR123s all around, and to preserve gamut, these are underexposed. Camera white balance is on daylight.

Attachments

• DSC_6785.JPG
    DSC_6785.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_6788.JPG
    DSC_6788.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_6789.JPG
    DSC_6789.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

hamhanded

Enlightened
Same test with WB on tungsten.

Attachments

• DSC_6792.JPG
    DSC_6792.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_6791.JPG
    DSC_6791.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_6790.JPG
    DSC_6790.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 86

turbodog

Flashaholic
FWIW, I corresponded with Willie Hunt, the guy who designed the regulator in the A2. Yes there's a soft start, but he said the main thing was to suppress max voltage to keep fresh cells from driving the bulb too hard.

He also made a similar (with more pronounced soft start) drop-in for a 2d light. It ran from 8 aa cells and came with some higher wattage pr-based bulbs. Had a couple of them years ago.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast