Surefire 628 (L60) - 18650 Possible?

TheNewDude

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks...first post here, long time lurker though. I'm working on a new "retro" project with a Surefire 628 with the L60 bezel (circa 2001 mfg date). I want to keep the "retro" look by keeping the L60 bezel in its current form. I've upgraded a few of the Surefire p60 weapon lights over the years using various drop-ins based on advice I have read on this forum. Specifically on this one I'm currently running the 2 Mode Sportac and fueling it with their 16650 batteries. I had hopes though I could upgrade to an 18650 to utilize some of the more powerful drop-ins that need the higher amps. I've thought about having it bored out, but its looking like it may be a little thin at the oring location. I've also seen various bodies for sale for the surefire 6p that accept an 18650, 18500, or an 18350, depending on the length you want. The L60 is sort of an odd ball. Does anyone know of a modder than could build a body to accept an 18650 so I can keep this body in its stock form? I see FiveMega's 18500 body that look close, not sure the dimensions though. Pics below, 16650 battery installed for reference.

628.jpg

Without the head, slightly different than the standard 6p at the flange below the large oring at the head:

L60.jpg

TheNewDude

Newly Enlightened
It is possible to bore for 18xxx but custom made bodies have less deep oring grooves and stronger.
I'd be interested in one of your bodies if it could be modified to work with the 628 L60. It's obviously different at both ends since it's a weapon light that threads directly into a housing and not a tailcap. I can post pic but don't know how folks feel about firearm pics on here.

TheNewDude

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I don't do this kind of jobs and even if someone do it for you, reanodizing one piece will cost three digit $$$
I actually have access to type 3 milspec anodizing, so that's not an issue, it'll just go in with a batch of other parts. I also have access to a mill and very capable machinists, they looked at the Surefire body and told me it would be too thin bored out with calipers at the oring notch, which is where the above statement in my above post came from. I might could mod one of your bodies to work, what are the lengths of the 18500 bodies I see u sell? 3p is too short, 6p too long, but could probably be cut, machined, and rethreaded.