Surefire Furry vs Streamlight Stiron or Protac 2.0? Best hard use like sized light?

kip42

Newly Enlightened
My Streamlight Furry went back to surefire and took quite awhile for them to return it stating that it works fine. It loose a charge quickly and won't power up to full brightness for long on a charged battery. I have tried more than one Surefire rechargeable cells.

I bought the Stiron and Protac 2.0. The 2.0 feels cheap and doesn't seem to be that much brighter than the other two.

Who makes the brightest, like sized tactical flashlight for hard use? I need it for hiking in extreme weather. Are there any better options? I used to carry and E2D but want something rechargeable.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Streamlight Furry went back to surefire and took quite awhile for them to return it stating that it works fine. It loose a charge quickly and won't power up to full brightness for long on a charged battery. I have tried more than one Surefire rechargeable cells.

I bought the Stiron and Protac 2.0. The 2.0 feels cheap and doesn't seem to be that much brighter than the other two.

Who makes the brightest, like sized tactical flashlight for hard use? I need it for hiking in extreme weather. Are there any better options? I used to carry and E2D but want something rechargeable.
Battery 16650 this is the cheapest way. This batteries will bring the E2D back into action if it's the old version with 200 lumens, which definitely works well with 3.7 Volt

Do you have the one with the tapered head?
1705439207014.png

Attachments

• 1705439135410.png
    1705439135410.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 40

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff, Elzetta, HDS, Peak, they all make very heavy duty flashlights that have stood the test of time.
( even from my own personal experience )

These are great lights, but for actual rough use I feel like the companies are a little on the boutique side. Streamlight will have your flashlight back to you in a week if anything goes wrong, or you can get a parts kit delivered in that same time.

Strion Xenon is great but discontinued. It is what the MiniMagLite should be.
Don't think Mini-Mag buyers would be in the market for a $120 flashlight.

fulee9999

Enlightened
These are great lights, but for actual rough use I feel like the companies are a little on the boutique side. Streamlight will have your flashlight back to you in a week if anything goes wrong, or you can get a parts kit delivered in that same time.

you do know that for example for a Malkoff flashlight you can even stock spare parts for yourself, so in the highly unlikely event of a malfunction it is literally field serviceable? So if we're talking about use that even exceeds WML use, or general heavy abuse, even that case you can fix your flashlight at the same speed as you would change a magazine.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

You do realize many here are Mini-Mag buyers/owners, right?

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
Just get a Malkoff M61 HOT and don't look back. Pretty sure you can throw it off a cliff and not effect it. If that is not your cup of tea, though I do not own one, I did see a video of a person dropping a Elzetta out of a helicopter at 100 feet on to concrete. It damaged the concrete.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
These incandescent are much brighter than Strion, TL-2, Scorpion, 6P and many other flashlights for it's size. It uses rechargeable batteries and TL-3 bulb.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
you do know that for example for a Malkoff flashlight you can even stock spare parts for yourself, so in the highly unlikely event of a malfunction it is literally field serviceable? So if we're talking about use that even exceeds WML use, or general heavy abuse, even that case you can fix your flashlight at the same speed as you would change a magazine.

I didn't say you couldn't with a Malkoff. Just that Streamlight is a huge company with a dealer network. Especially compared to HDS, for instance.

You do realize many here are Mini-Mag buyers/owners, right?

Yeah, I have a half dozen. What I meant was a $120 Strion isn't a direct alternative to a $12 Mini-Mag for most people. Not even for Streamlight--they made a Mini-Mag copy as well.

Is there still a market for the Strion Xenon? I have a used one sitting in a box I might sell if there is a market.

They usually go in the $25-50 range on eBay, depending on condition and accessories. What version?

Bogie

Enlightened
My original Fury Defender (W/Fivemega 18650 body) and now DFT Fury have been through hell as my duty lights since released. No issues.

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 41

scottk2112

Newly Enlightened
Get a Fraz. You simply can't break it and it literally will last forever. Really amazing in its simplicity. Price is very fair for what you get. Check em out.
I've got a QT-SS on the way! I can't wait to get my hands on that light!

Monocrom

Flashaholic

You do realize that they make rechargeable 3.0v CR123 cells, right?
Least expensive option would be Watson rechargeables sold with a charger, over at B&H Photo & Video. Great place to buy from. Very reliable and trustworthy.