ThorFire Led 5000 Lumen, BLF Q8 $55 vs. no name 18 LED 10000 lumen usb-c for $60.

CoolPercussion

Newly Enlightened
For reference:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773Q46D3/?tag=cpf0b6-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJZ5RVX/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Total noob here. Why is one twice the lumens for about the same price? I tried to look around the forums for answers for about 10 minutes but didn't find much. I found a very detailed explanation of different types of LED emitters and thought that might be part of it. I feel like I'm missing something but I just don't know what.

Can someone point me in a direction to figure this out?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of these soda can type lights. One is a no name brand one I bought several years back for around $20.00. It was advertised at the time as around 5000 lumens I believe. In reality, it probably is 800 to 1000. The only reason why I did not return it was it was still a good value for the dollar and was pretty well made. Last year I bought one made by Sofirn. I already had a similar light made by them, except it used 4 AA's instead of 18650's. It was rated at about 1100 lumens and I believe it to be so. I took that into consideration when I bought their 18650 version, which was about $60.00 and was rated at around 5000 lumens. I also believe it puts out the amount advertised. Most of these no name brand ones you see on Amazon (or anywhere) have their lumens rating greatly exaggerated by the seller. I really doubt that the Woputne one shown there is anywhere near 10000 lumens. These things are sold by the numbers!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get caught up on lumen numbers – many (most?) are exaggerated, if not completely made up. Beam distance or cd are more important for a flashlight anyway as they give you an idea of how far you can see with it. Look for independent reviewers that measure cd and lumens to compare lights you are interested in. Things like beam pattern and tint are also very important.

You also want to buy quality products from reputable manufacturers/venders.

You might get more replys if you post some details on what you will be using the light for, what kind of batteries you want to use, how much you are willing to spend etc.

CoolPercussion

Newly Enlightened
Don't get caught up on lumen numbers – many (most?) are exaggerated, if not completely made up. Beam distance or cd are more important for a flashlight anyway as they give you an idea of how far you can see with it. Look for independent reviewers that measure cd and lumens to compare lights you are interested in. Things like beam pattern and tint are also very important.

You also want to buy quality products from reputable manufacturers/venders.

You might get more replys if you post some details on what you will be using the light for, what kind of batteries you want to use, how much you are willing to spend etc.

Thank you. I mainly want to use this around the house at night to investigate the occasional night time yard disturbance. I have about .5 acres. If I could light up around 200ft away that would be pretty nice. I'd like to keep it well under $100.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I mainly want to use this around the house at night to investigate the occasional night time yard disturbance. I have about .5 acres. If I could light up around 200ft away that would be pretty nice. I'd like to keep it well under $100.

You are welcome!

The 3C cell Maglite ML50 should work well for that. I would recommend running it on rechargeable low self discharge NiMH cells instead of alkalines for best performance without leaks. You can get C cell size NiMH's (I have had good luck with Soshines) or you can run AA Eneloops (or Eneloop rebrands) in AA to C adapter sleeves - both work great.