Ultra High CRI AAA option, JetU E21a, and JetU Solis, post your beamshots

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The contact area is at the lip of the battery tube. Very clean.

1. IF the pill got turned in too tight (can happen from normal loading and unloading batteries, and from tightening the head for normal operation and mode changes)

UnScrew the pill, 1/2 turn, and check if the light works after that. Unscrewing brings the contact ring closer to the end of the body tube, making it easier for it to make contact.

2. IF there is lubricant residue on the pill, blocking contact (did you use some sort of dielectric grease?)

Wipe out the inside of the head, including threads, but more importantly the contact ring on the pill, with alcohol. Do the same for the body tube threads and the end, to remove any residue of lubricant that may be blocking the contact from the end of the body tube to the pill.

3. IF you used a 10440 (I doubt you would do that, but checking all possibilities.)

Driver is fried.

Unscrew the driver pill and double check the positive and negative leads are still properly attached to the mcpcb.

I agree, if the other steps above dont work. There could be a bad solder joint that broke loose, (very unlikely, but I had an Optisolis with that issue)

opinion:
atm, my bet is the issue and solution is in #1 of this post. Ive had several twisty lights where that was the solution. (after I modded and overtightened the pill so the body tube did not reach the contact ring in the pill)

I have a couple of lights whose pill drifted tighter, from normal use tightening the body to the head, and now the light wont work unless I make the body really tight. (or back out the pill)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Often a thin film of crud forms and even though you don't see it, there's just enough to break contact between battery. I've had a number of battery operated items become non working and looked clean.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Agreed that contact / continuity issues, of some sort, account for probably ~ 90% of these problems.

Other than "bad batteries" lol

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. IF the pill got turned in too tight (can happen from normal loading and unloading batteries, and from tightening the head for normal operation and mode changes)

UnScrew the pill, 1/2 turn, and check if the light works after that. Unscrewing brings the contact ring closer to the end of the body tube, making it easier for it to make contact.

Success! Thanks, Jon! I was just about to give up.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob:

Anyone know a way to prevent the pill from becoming over-tightened in the future?

I would remove the pill all the way, so I have access to the threads inside the head, to place a small amount of blue loctite (using a toothpic or similar), on the threads where the pill will rest.

here you can see the glue inside the head of a similar aaa light (looking from the body side of the head)
l8yJWVAl.jpg

We do not want loctite on the threads where the body threads ride. Also not on the threads of the pill (except what it contacts screwing into the head). We dont loctite the pill and screw it in, cause that will drag loctite where we dont want it.

a less permanent option is to use dielectric grease, and this Can be applied directly to the threads of the pill if you dont want to fiddle around halfway inside the head threads,

because in tight spaces such as between threads, dielectric grease (or other thick and tacky lubes such as Nyogel 767a) tends to be rather grippy or sticky, so you can still turn the pill intentionally, but it wont be as likely to turn from normal head tightening for mode changing operation

a third option to secure the pill so it wont rotate, besides loctite or thick silicone lubes, is a dab of household Silicone Caulk.

your light originally came with the pill glued in from factory, but that seal had to be broken to extract and change the LED

it is normal that a modder will not reglue, we hate glue
also, your light came with spare lenses, giving the option to change the beam
all that to explain why the pill was left unglued

also your light had the reflector lens system altered to a TiR, this potentially introduced the possibility of a bit deeper travel of the pill, than the original reflector.

anyway, I think you get the idea, and are now armed with options to make it harder for the pill to turn unintentionally..

also, be cognizant that the pill presses the lens against an O ring. So you want enough pressure to keep water out, but not so much, that the body cant make contact, as you have learned :)..

so back the pill out just as much as reasonably necessary
without creating a gap between the lens and its O ring..

hope that makes sense..

enjoy your Light!

Last edited: