Utilitech Pro 15-Watt Led Portable Work Light

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Lowes today and I saw the Utilitech Pro 15-Watt Led Portable Work Light for $35. They had one sample plugged in and when I turned it on it seemed pretty impressive, unfortunately there were none left on the shelf.

Has anyone heard anything about this light? I've been looking for something DURABLE for the garage.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it may be using a MT-G2 LED. The stand is rated flimsy by the reviewers.

I'll check it out if I can get to Lowe's soon. I've also been looking for something for the garage.

Up to now, I've only been considering one of those aluminum reflectors with medium base socket and clamp off the back side for $6 - just install an LED bulb.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks EngrPaul, I looked at some of the reviews and you are right, people pan the mount but they say the light itself seems good. I think I'm going to keep an eye open for one and then pick it up (and probably review it as well).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped to see it this morning. They had it strapped to the counter so I couldn't do much more than turn it on and move it to different angles.

It's definitely not a MT-G2, it's some lesser LED with fewer dies. The reflector doesn't put off much light, just the LED... so it's essentially a spot of light. A spot of light makes shadows and really isn't good for depth of field view of the work area.

The brightness is just OK, nothing special. The tint is nice.

It's hard to justify spending this much when a halogen sits nearby for $12. It would have to be used frequently to get any cost savings. I would consider buying it if it was around $20-$25.

If it folded up, and ran on 12V, I could throw it in the car and get portable use of it. It would be nice if there was some sort of hooks available to hang it from the hood to work on the car.

I think I will go ahead and get set up with the aluminum reflector and a LED bulb for work around the car in the garage. I can clip it to a jack stand and get a broader broadcast of light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will go ahead and get set up with the aluminum reflector and a LED bulb for work around the car in the garage. I can clip it to a jack stand and get a broader broadcast of light.
That sounds like a good plan. I think that is what I'm going to do as well.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an aluminum reflector work light at walmart for about $6.50. The aluminum is not very shiny - I'll be painting it with high reflective flat white paint. The clamp mechanism is adequate.

I also saw amazon has something like this (Designers Edge L1312 5x1W LED Worklight, Green, 120-Volt) but rated 1/3 the power.

Hopefully the prices come down and the quality goes up in the next couple years.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Utilitech is junk...you'll find a better product at electrical wholesale businesses...CED, Graybar etc.