What Would Be Some Great 18650 Batteries For My Fenix BC30 V2.0 Bike Lights

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, I am looking for some 18650 batteries for my Fenix BC30 V.2 Bike. What are some of my better choices these days?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I have 10 Fenix lights, and have been using Fenix batteries since around 2016. Have not had any problems with them. You can get them with a built in charge port or without. I think Fenix makes great products, and their customer service is stellar.

I like the high capacity protected 3500 mAh 18650 cells. They last for quite a long time. I use a 4 bay Fenix charger, and the cells without the built in charge ports.

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
I have 10 Fenix lights, and have been using Fenix batteries since around 2016. Have not had any problems with them. You can get them with a built in charge port or without. I think Fenix makes great products, and their customer service is stellar.

I like the high capacity protected 3500 mAh 18650 cells. They last for quite a long time. I use a 4 bay Fenix charger, and the cells without the built in charge ports.

So even if the battery's have a charging port built in, they can be charged in a regular charger also?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might give these a try.

I don't have experience with the cell you linked to, but I see no reason why that shouldn't work fine for that application.

I use primarily the Fenix cells mentioned by @Guitar Guy (which are also sold by BJ), both with and without internal USB charging, and have had good results with them. I like to have some with the USB charging for times when that's more convenient, but generally use a standalone charger for day to day needs.

BJ is also a great distributor, and has performed flawlessly in my experience over tens of orders over almost as many years, and use them for most everything they carry. BTW, if you order today, you'll also get 15% off, so there's that;-)

busseguy

Enlightened
Yes, I agree. I use the Fenix ARE-A4. It will do 21700 cells. Sells for around $38 to $40.

I just looked it up but I don't see if it will charge four 21700 batteries at the same time. Do you know if that would work?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I just looked it up but I don't see if it will charge four 21700 batteries at the same time. Do you know if that would work?

It will do four 18650s at the same time, but I think only three 21700s. I'm not 100% sure because I only have lights that run on three 21700s at a time, but their extra diameter squeezes them closer, and I don't really think four would fit.

I'm not at home right now, but if I get a chance, I'll try it with four.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened

@busseguy , Good news. The Fenix ARE-A4 will definitely do four 21700 cells at the same time. I just put four protected 21700 cells in mine and they fit with no problem.

One thing I did notice though. I have some Imalent cells with and without the built in charge port. The ones with the port are a tiny big longer, maybe a millimeter, if that. They don't snap all the way down into the charger like the others, but they go in far enough to make contact and charge. The positive end just rides up a little higher. I didn't want to force it down, because no real need to, since it makes contact. So you're still good, if you have that style with the port.

busseguy

Enlightened
@busseguy , Good news. The Fenix ARE-A4 will definitely do four 21700 cells at the same time. I just put four protected 21700 cells in mine and they fit with no problem.

One thing I did notice though. I have some Imalent cells with and without the built in charge port. The ones with the port are a tiny big longer, maybe a millimeter, if that. They don't snap all the way down into the charger like the others, but they go in far enough to make contact and charge. The positive end just rides up a little higher. I didn't want to force it down, because no real need to, since it makes contact. So you're still good, if you have that style with the port.

Awesome that's great to hear, I will be ordering one soon.

Thank you for checking for me.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vapcell has a new cell with 4000mAh, a few people have tested them and found that is a real capacity.
18650 Vapcell INR18650 N40 4000mAh 10A High Discharge
They are on my wish list next time I buy from illumn.com

Reactions: JAS

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If this was back in the day, I'd recommend AW brand.
Sadly, can't do that today. Honestly, for their lights, you
are probably better off just buying the ones made by Fenix.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The N40s might be a good choice. Thank you for the tip!

Maybe.

I see this in the user manual:

Battery level Indication

With the light switched off, single click the functional switch to check the battery status. The battery status percentage on this bright bike light will be displayed, and then goes out in 3 seconds.

• Green light constant on (saturated): 100% - 80%
  • Orange light constant on (sufficient): 80% - 40%
  • Red light constant on (poor): 40% - 10%
  • Red light flashes: 10% - 0%
Note: This only works with Fenix ARB-L18 series 18650 battery.

That cell's also not a protected one, and as you might expect, this is how Fenix feels about that:

"Only use quality batteries with circuit protection to reduce the potential for combustion or explosion. Cell damage or short circuiting are potential risks the user assumes."

That cell may be absolutlely fine, just sayin'........