which battery do you prefere for pocket flashlights?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to say, I'd rather not have to properly dispose of lithium rechargeables due to screwing up and using them longer than safely acceptable.
Just this week I grabbed a 16340 light I hadn't used in much longer than normal, and it was 'dead'. The light's design handles low voltage brilliantly when using it, but sitting idle too long, that didn't help as its standby drain (although modest) had taken the cell down low. Cell shut off output, which was at 0V until I stuck it in a charger momentarily to switch the circuit back on, at which point it sat at ~2.8V. Charged and back in the light now. Yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to have concerns about or retire that cell. Money's too tight to waste!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use NiMH AAAs in my C01Ss, and 14500s in my Tool AA 2.0. Anything larger is too big to be in my pocket, IMO. Coat pocket maybe, but I can reach and see someone far enough away with my Tool, so I don't need anything else.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im only using protected in multi-cell lights & since I try to keep things simple I just buy keeppower protested cells these days. Unprotected is fine in 1x cell lights like my mdc. I still got a bunch of unprotected 16340s from years back that I like to use in that light. I just charge them as soon as I notice any dimming. I only occasionally check the voltage if its been in there for a long time with the worlds most expensive battery tester. My mdc lasts months on a charge & its my most used light.