• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Why is my McluxIII-PD so DIM/Cannot hold constant brightness???

cryhavok

Enlightened
Hello,

I've happily owned my McluxIII PD for about 2 months now, but it seems there is a problem with it...

I'm still using the original Titanium cr123 primary that came with the light, but there seems to be no regulation at all! I set it up 1 meter in front of my light meter, and it originally registers ~940 lux. A pretty far cry from what some others are getting (~1380lux).

I've been watching it for about 10 minutes now and it's continually dropped, now at 580 lux. The light feels a little warm to the touch.

Trying to help every bit of light get out, I've replaced the sapphire lense with a UCL one.

P.S. in the time it took to type this post, it's down to 400!. Even though this is not a new battery, shouldn't there still be regulation? I know mine was built when there was some problems with the converter boards, so maybe mine is defective??

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all regulators, a constant or somewhat constant brightness is held until the voltage drops below a certain level. Also, it often happens that even though the light is still in regulation, the brightness will lessen as the voltage drops.

My best guess says that a new battery will show you "new" brightness.

cryhavok

Enlightened
dropped down to ~200 so I switched the battery and it seems to hold a pretty steady ~1440 lux...seems that the titanium cell was pretty depleted. Funny because I haven't even used it that much, but oh well:stupid:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
cryhavok said:
dropped down to ~200 so I switched the battery and it seems to hold a pretty steady ~1440 lux...seems that the titanium cell was pretty depleted. Funny because I haven't even used it that much, but oh well:stupid:

Good, I'm gad you got it working, you should head over to lighthound.com for some rechargable 123's or to the dealers forum and check out AW's battery sales thread.... :)

s.duff

Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
Good, I'm gad you got it working, you should head over to lighthound.com for some rechargable 123's or to the dealers forum and check out AW's battery sales thread.... :)
the pd will function properly with r123s? i was afraid that they would be too much juice like a certain xbin hd45 that belongs to a forum member

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
s.duff said:
the pd will function properly with r123s? i was afraid that they would be too much juice like a certain xbin hd45 that belongs to a forum member

Since the PD is 1 x 123 I promise you it is OK. I have been running R123's in my PD since the day I got all 3 of them. I think the converter in the PD can handle up to 5.2V, where a R123 is about 3.7V.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything - I have made similar, uh....mistakes - but it totally cracked me up to read this thread -

Help, my super exclusive, expensive flashlight is getting dimmer...oh, the battery...uh...nevermind!
:crackup: :devil: :crazy: :sigh: :shakehead :rolleyes:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I once had this happening with a light on fresh batteries ... the output dropped quickly over time ... and eventually the emitter melted :eek:oo:

Great thread indeed :crackup: :D :wave: