• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTB: Malkoff Hound Dog or Elzetta Bravo/Charlie

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
List,

I am a novice light aficionado, having a couple original Quarks, Zebralights, and one MDC 2A.

Now I am looking for another light to carry when out walking in the rural/suburban area where I live. I have been surprised by animals (coyote, fox, raccoon and something bigger I could not ID) and homeless folks camping in tree lines and culverts.

I am not sure whether "flood" or "throw" is most important in this case (probably both). Nonetheless, I would like something powerful enough to allow me to see/ID such things at a distance (50-100 yards) and be a good trail illuminator. I would like it to be comfortable/portable in the hand (6-8" long or so). Neutral or warm tint? I am not sure.. I also would like it to have at least two levels, one I can walk with 90% of the time, and a "pow!" level for emergencies. Hopefully several hours runtime at "low," and maybe 30-60 minutes at high. As far as power I would much prefer rechargeables. I have experience with Ni-MH, but nothing else. (i.e. 18650). I am not afraid of using the latter...just don't know what to buy/how to set up.

So...from what research I have done, either of these sound like valid candidates. Since I cannot try either out before buying new, I was hoping a member might have a good used version I could purchase, just to get started. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Honestly I'd go to the new malkoff wildcat. Huge flood light with good reach. And you can always take the defused film off and have more throw plus a very big hotspot.

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I had not considered the wildcat as I thought it was only flood light. It is basically a Hound Dog with a diffuser film on the lens?

Whichever I choose I really need a good mix of flood and throw for trail illumination (90% of the time), and identification for the other 10%.

Since you already have a few quality lights, have you considered one of the budget lights such as Convoy or Emisar? Both have high powered pocket lights in 18650 and 21700 formats, with a ramping interface that allows you to smoothly increase/decrease the illumination level to suite the needs of the moment, and a choice of single emitter or multiple emitter light engines in the same body size. There is also a choice of emitter types and color temperatures. The Wildcat is an excellent light, no question, and you couldn't be faulted for preferring it (I have three or four Malkoff lights myself, and a half-dozen drop-in light engines). You can however save quite a bit going with one of the less costly alternatives. Just a thought...

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, Dave. I would not mind exploring other manufacturers. I had no idea about Emisar ( I just read about it). I like the fact the owner is a real flashaholic.

I also would not mind having a smaller form factor, even sacrificing a little performance for a more 'carryable' torch. I will certainly research both companies very thoroughly.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Honestly I'd go to the new malkoff wildcat. Huge flood light with good reach. And you can always take the defused film off and have more throw plus a very big hotspot.
I have seen this comment before but I never asked exactly what this means, so a regular aspect of a Malkoff Wildcat is permanent diffusor film, however you can opt to take it off, but if you do you forever change its specs so that it's more throwey and less floody from that point on??

thermal guy

Flashaholic
All there is on top of the TIR is a piece of defuser film.That is what makes the wildcat have a very wide beam. It can be removed and replaced in seconds.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wildcat filter doesn't fit my description at all. Hardly practical for my application. Im talking about something like this:
Surefire_FM14_CS_Diffuser_FM14_685932.jpg
nitecore_nfd25_diffuser_for_diameter_25mm_1018879.jpg

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering about this "film removal" on the Wildcat as well.

I would like a torch that is 90% of the time a great trail illuminator (which I suppose means more floody than throwy), but have the ability to ID objects at distance/blind surprise attackers. Something having just a few levels, a low & mid for walking and a high for emergencies.

I checked out the Emisar models (like the D4 that has the high output I think I want) but because of the small form factor they tend to heat up very quickly. This is something I don't particularly favor.

That said the wildcat or hound dog are 4x as expensive...so perhaps something in between these two options would be the best for me. Still looking....

How about a dual channel Emisar? I had a D4V2 with a high CRI flood pattern on one channel and can switch on the fly to the throw channel running W1s. I could also hit turbo and put both channels on 100% for a short burst.