Forty dollars for a light???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShift

Enlightened
Have you ever mentioned or been asked the price of your Arc aaa (..or LS). How did they react, what was your backup and did they "buy" it?

I was at the diner with my friends and they dropped something under the table so (perfect opportunity) I lended my friend my arc, and he lended it to our other friend and afterwards she was playing with it like in awe and I mentioned it was expensive...about forty dollars. She looked at me and repeated it rather loud and the table full of people next to us looked our way and probably at the light and she continued to ask about the price and I felt kind of silly...like I wanted to drop it (they don't understand us flashaholics). She was like "forty dollars?? is it like a special Elvis edition or something? (joking around)" and I said somethin like that....it's a newer technology light (as I waited for the other table to mind their own business) Then as she was looking at it, she said "it seems like a good light, probably worth it."

Yes, the Arc is definately worth the money...how do you guys back up your flashaholic urge to buy expensive lights, as in this situation?

(Later at my house she was playin with all my flashlights... "this guy has like every light")

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
arc is forty? dang!
I got 2 arcs for forty (considering your arc is not an le)

notos&w

Enlightened
if someone comments on the price of my guns, knives or flashlights i simply explain the benefits of that product over say a maglite and that i feel it is a value. everyone knows im a very conservative spender so they dont press.

if they did, i might bring up the cost of their golf clubs, car parts, etc.

as has been said, you get what you pay for. in some cases you dont need the absolute best, in others it is like the Filson logo "might as well have the best."

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting what you pay for and getting the best of the best is usually what I tell my friends or people I meet who have seen my flashlights and needed to know why I must have it (or why they must get it).

Believe it or not, most people who I've shown my LS-based lights to still believe that LEDs were of the radio button/toy types or the little bleepers on your car alarm remotes that serve nothing more than to irritate the eyes. They still don't view LEDs as a conventional way of lighting, MUCH LESS an incandescent replacement. Thus, the AWE reaction when they see something like an Arc-LS, a QuadLux, a Cyclops, or a focused 5W Cyan.

It makes me wonder how far we are in technology, as flashaholics who are usually on top of any advancements in handheld lighting technology, as opposed to a typical consumer who needs a "disposable" flashlight for the occasional use.

I kind'a take a guilty, wicked feeling in knowing that with a blackout, I can have a light that lasts for 50 straight days (Eternalight on Li's) when your average "household flashlight" that's just as bright won't last through 1 night of use (be it batteries or bulb).

Of course, the only reason I have been able to persuade my friends on why I bought the MaxaBeam and X990 was that I wanted to see if I can start a forest fire (in jest, of course)...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, my ARC AAA cost about $50, but there were only 120 made. Someone paid $19,300 for an empty beer can on ebay. Or how about $43 for a P,B & J sandwich?? Since I'm not married & pay all my bills, I feel no need to justify my purchases to anyone. Just my 2 cents. TX

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
When showing the light to people I meet, I get the price out of the way first thing before talking about the rest of the light. Then without really having seen much of the light yet, they say, "why is it so expensive?". Like clockwork... Then I let them see the light. While they are looking at it, I say something like, "it's not for everyone of course, most people a walmart light will do fine, but for some people, being able to see in a critical situation makes all the difference". They they say something like, "so who uses this light?" and I say. "mostly enthusiasts to tell you the truth, but it is in use by police, all the branches of the military and some of the branches of other country's militaries, outdoorsmen, pilots, EMTs, people like that." Then either they say something like, "ah, my little walmart light does me just fine" or, "hmm, can I buy this from your website?". Since the light isn't for everyone, this easily seperates the people who will use it from the people who don't want to try it.

Last night we went to the annual Zoo Lights in Phoenix and I brought a LHL and LSH premium, both with TSP-123. I normally use the light to find the animals in the dark exhibits. We were walking along with the extended family looking at all the elaborate christmas lights. The place was packed with people. Merri's dad pointed out that a crowd of people where standing around looking on the ground for a lost article. They had one dim 2AA light among them all. Flashlight man to the rescue! Hehe.
smile.gif
I go over an turn on both LS premiums. People are going, "ooh" and "thanks!". One guy says, "is that an LED light?". I say, "yes, actually, how did you know?". He says, "because it is so bright". Now I didn't do a sales pitch or anything (the family was waiting for me to get back) so that was that. We didn't find the lost article either, I think it rolled into a bush or something, lost for good. But it was fun to help out. And I felt kind of like a flashlight superhero. Silly I know.

Later on I bought Merri a flashing blue/red LED heart pendant from one of the many light things vendors. The first thing she did was take it apart (gosh I love her). Then she put it back together and wore it the rest of the night. It flashed so brightly in peoples eyes that her parents asked her to shut it off.

Happy New year everyone.

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Reminds me of the time several air travelers were just about to exit a 747 at Laguardia. One of the passengers apparently dropped his Mont Blanc and struggled to find it. Some Homer Simpson looking older man whipped out an ASP Taclite and spotted the expensive pen just beside where the seat is bolted to the floorboard.

"Homer" walked away without saying a word. Pen owner didn't even get the chance to say thanks. Silly flashaholic.
yellowlaugh.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get away with explaining the $20 for the ARC AAA but I get the nutty looks and comments when I explain the $70 for the LS second and I never mention that fact that it's a second and the first run cost is $120. I think I'll try Peter's approach the next time the situation arises.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's kinda crazy actually. My buddy sorta understands because he paid $100 plus for an SL35X.

I totalled up the cost of the M!n!M*g I'm carrying around and was kinda shocked to find that I have approx. $65 in this light! He says "at least it looks like a standard M!n!M*g, so someone won't be so apt to steal it".

Anyhow I am thinking of a Surefire E2E or E2E Elite just because I don't own a Surefire!!!! He can't quite understand THAT....

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I try to let the light speak for itself. I let people see the light in action, get into the WOW factor, try it for themselves and "feel" the quality. The first question is usually not about how much it costs, but rather where in the world do I buy these things? Once they understand that they can't just get one at the corner store, they know that it costs more. I find that they can't quite get over a light that uses a "camera battery". Yes, for the really interested people I open up the light and show them the battery... In the end, when we talk about the cost of the light, I try to make them understand that I was not only buying the light, but also the quality, dependability, and customer service of the manufacturer. I don't think I am getting any people converted, but they sure do understand in the end.
grin.gif

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Let's not forget the "total cost of ownership & operation". I've found that when you put a cost comparison in front of the person suffering $ticker $hock, it tends to look much better. Search around the past threads, or do a cost comparison of the lights you use. The led lights really make out in the cost per hour of operation, despite the higher initial up front acquisition cost.

Nonetheless, I still get some strange looks and comments.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I think it's just that people don't understand that decent lights START at $10 or $20, and go up. (I'm thinking of some of the UK's and PT's here.) Do people think buying a Rolex, or a BMW, or a Nikon is silly? Maybe, but that's the type of high quality, lower production quantity product we're talking about.

What I find much harder to explain is why I have SO MANY lights....

mst3k

Enlightened
Everything has already been said, but I just have to add: The beauty of the Arc Led is when you really need to see detail like the writing on top of some obscure microchip. The arc shows every detail whereas a crappy mini-mag, (there I said it)
smile.gif
just doesn't cut it.

My last point:

Really?? Merri took it apart?? Like has been stated above. You are a lucky man, and If you ever decide you don't want her anymore, I'll take her!!!
shocked.gif

Best always, Peter, and Merri! (call me)
wink.gif

Just kidding!!

SFR

Newly Enlightened
"If you think light is expensive, you should try darkness."

Adapted from, "If you think education is expensive, you should try ignorance."

nihraguk

Enlightened
a few days ago i got together with two friends to catch up, and i had brought my M2 to show one of my friends who wanted to see it. he agreed that the M2 is a beautiful work of art (the other friend said it was ugly) and that its really bright with a perfect beam, but he told me he wouldn't ever get one unless someone gave one to him or sold it to him really cheap. i find that to be the reaction to surefires in general.

after i showed both of my friends the arc aaa, they wanted to know how to get it and how much it costs. they were amazed that a led light could be that bright, produce white light, and use cheap AAA batteries. after i told them it costs $50 (singapore currency), they thought for a while and both decided they each wanted one. keep in mind, though the exchange rate says the arc AAA is USD$25 or SGD$50 (both values are approximate), the perception of a dollar here is more or less the same.

would any of you pay US$50 for an arc? for that matter, would any of you pay US$280 for a surefire M2? those are the prices i had to pay for my two favourite lights. SGD$5 gets you a meal at macdonald's...not sure about the US equivalent but the last time i went there i recall it being roughly the same. regardless, i still feel the arc AAA is worth every singapore cent and dollar i paid for it. i believe there are more people who would buy it if only they knew about it and were able to do so conveniently
smile.gif

there are people who chide me for spending so much on lights, whilst they willingly fork out a few hundred or more for the latest nokia phone that is more fragile and looks sillier than the last one they had, whilst having the same usable functions. to each to his own i say....i'd rather spend $50 on an arc AAA that i use all the time rather than an overpriced status symbol with communication as an excuse for its existance
wink.gif

anyway, getting the two arcs for them is another matter, since i don't know of any shops here that stock them. nevertheless, i believe the arc AAA does have a potentially huge market, and the arc AAA is more of an everydayman's light than a surefire is.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a couple girls with something like this on their keychain:
15882301_HTML_SML.jpg

Tiffany's Keychain around $60
rolleyes.gif

And it doesn't even do anything useful, heck at least my keyfob produces light!
grin.gif

This is one of the most popular items Tiffany's sells because its one of the cheapest and its from "Tiffany's"
confused.gif
Aparently all women know its from Tiffanys even before they open it because of the color box or something.

Darell

Flashaholic
I have yet to have a satisfactory "cost" explanation episode. I'll have to try Peter's way next time and bring it up FIRST. Usually it is the last thing mentioned, and that's the end of any discussion. Normal people simply don't understand "flashlight speaking for itself." Normal people simply want a light to paint a dot on the far wall with all the room lights on. If it can't do that, it isn't worth anything - "might as well buy a Minimag." There is NO concessions for durability, features, carryability, battery configurations, dependability, aesthetics, feel, switch position or function, size, etc. Normal people just don't care. Normal people use a flashlight about six times a year and suffer the rest of the time. I know people who go camping without remembering to bring a flashlight! If I walk out to the shop without a light on me, I feel naked and rush back in to grab one!

It is all relative, of course. There are people who will go spend $100 on a simple dinner, yet would balk at spending $50 on a nice flashlight that would last them for years. It is all a matter of priorities. For example - I don't eat food anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.