E2 saves the day - unfortunatly.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
First off- you guys know I'm not violent natured. I can take an insane amount of critism before popping. Most people don't think I'm capable of a fight because I never do. That said:

For a year or so I have taken frequent jabs from a fellow student named grant. I never respond to these insults because I understand that is the way he is.
Lately I have had seriouse deadlines to meet and stress is high- every minute counts. grant has no deadline. grant wanders around chating with everyone and basicly horseplaying and occupys my tuters with babysitting him- this guts me to no end. But I say nothing to him that isnt nice- I think he knows it gets on my nerves though.

This morning he decide it would be great sport to incessintly pester me and see how agitated I would get. So for the next 2 hours he cursed at me hurled pens pensils and FORKS at my head. When I did not respond he elevated to throwing textbooks at me (you have not lived till you have taken an exam and endured this simultaniousely) which I blocked fairly easily. All the time he was trash talking and saying that he wanted to fight. I assumed he was just full of BS and tried to pay him no mind. I have too much at stake to get expelled over a fight.
The teachers never saw much of this so he got them to think I was doing the instagating and I was too frusterated defend my position. I concentrated on controling myself and even stayed neutral when he grabbed my stuff and threw it across the room. I was silently seething by now even though I never showed it. To blow up would give him the victory and I refused to do that.

He said that because he was under 18 and I was almost 20 that if i touched him it would be juvinile assualt. I calmly informed him that as long as I could prove that I didnt use excessive force the bussines law book stated that it was self defence and he was the tortfeaser( how I love that word!) .
[about now Its important to note that my laptop is out of warrenty and currently the most expencive item I own. It is my precious, my conection to the outside world, My "Jane". Everyone knows and respects this.]
5 minutes later grant says something that I didnt catch and grabs my leg DRAGS ME FROM THE CHAIR ONTO THE FLOOR AND DRAGS ME ACROSS THE ROOM! My laptop made a sickening *THUD* as it fell to the floor. Big mistake. I was impaired for a moment as my headphone cord was tangled around my neck. I tore it from myself and tossed it aside. he still had my foot though and was laughing his head off. I was now ultimately humiliated. teacher was calmly saying "grant please let go of trevor's foot". He let go of my foot still guffawing. Bigger mistake. as he lifted foot to kick me in the pelvis I thought "the hell with it" and rockedback and launched myself to my feet while unconsiously riping my e2 off of my side and positioning it bezal down in my fist. once on my feet I immediatly struck him atop the head. the impact sent a shock up my arm. he continued grabbing at my longsleeve surefire t shirt with intent to spin me into the shelves and of course hitting me. Seeing that he was not fazed by the first hit I struck again fullforce atop to the upper rightside of his head. He then learnd from my tactics and gave me an atomic blow to the temple leaving a knot or two and as I later found - a large gash. At this point I realized that he could and would do much damage to me very shortly. I had to stop him so I placed the next blow so it would remove his glasses and allow me to grab him and take him to the floor where i could kneel on him and pin his limbs until an adult could take care of things. I really don't enjoy this sort of thing you know. The shot struck home starting with an impact at the middle of the forehead and dragging the bezal down the nose(exit one pair of specticles) and all the way down the rest of the face.
From the chair to this point took an unbelievable 7seconds tops. At this point someone stepped in and I collapsed ,in shock at what I just did , into a chair.
the room emptied unbelievably fast and soon I was alone except for grant's girlfreind ,Page, who had rushed to my side as soon as she heard what was happening.(funny- she never even looked at grant as she passed him) Page is my
pal -nothing more. as soon as the door closed I lost control and sobbed. I must have creid continuously for a half hour and it felt good to have an understanding shoulder to cry on. she brought me towels and such to wipe the blood sweat and tears away with and offered comforting words.

During this time some staff had come in and informed me that while he didnt need stitches ,grant was bruised and bleeding and pretty worked over. I was unhappy to hear this because I REALLY never wanted to hurt him - just wanted to stop him.
I conveyed what had happened all morning and they beleived me. They know I wouldnt lie about it. thus even though I was sent home early(so was he) they are not going to exspell me.

You may think I was wrong in using the e2 but I know these students.
*most(90%) have spent time in an asylum at one time or another
*All have ADD or ADHD
*around 70% have records with the police. the bulk involve paraphania and drugs of large amounts (for the record- Im in the GOODY GOODY 30%)
*Grant said he had forgot his meds that morning.

He was unpredictable and I acted according to what I knew.

I admit that things might have been better If I had not retaliated. I tried though.

I posted this here because I needed it off my chest. Comments and veiwpoints welcome.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow trevor!!!

i don't know how you couldn't have attacked the kid earlier...i'm a laid back guy, but once a person gets past my point, he'll know (luckily this only happened once (and he regretted it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)). it must have taken an extreme ammount of willpower, and i would like to congratulate you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif what is even more amazing to me, is that you didn't want to hurt him, and you are sorry you did. i am sorry to say, but i'm rather glad he got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

it really sucks that the teachers are so shift headed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i'm glad that when you did finally get into it, you got him. and you didn't get in too much trouble.

awesome way to show your flashaholic instincts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

is your laptop alright?

where have you been man?!! we miss you around here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If someone threw a fork at me, I'd probably go off like a pack of ladyfingers at Chinese New Years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
You have an awful lot of patience Trevor. I'd be kicking sinks and toliets off the wall, spraying deodorent down the stairs, and probably get myself expelled from school if Grant was in my class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one word to explain my feeling: awesome.
it is a wonder to me that you got that much patience. Also, you have no intention to do anything bad to him. You prove to him that human has his own limit and as soon as someone cross over that limit, he will regret for doing that.
Don't feel bad for yourself man, you did the right thing at that moment that every man here can think about, really! Well, at least that was my opinion.
I hope your laptop is fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what kind of school are you in? sounds odd.

you should have clocked him a long time ago and set a precedent. good job.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
It is an odd school. hard to discribe.

Thanks for the reasurence- I need it - I gotta go to school tomarrow and face todays actions. In short - small school and even the 2nd graders heard not 30min later. no joke my mom works there and told me. But then from what I have heard I am sort of a figure at school - the unaficial student body president, the guy whom everyone enters the room and closes the door and tells their problems to( and takes advice from) Ive been there the longest and am honest and fair with them. I learned this in scouts. This is not some ego trip - its the truth. Its what made me control myself for as long as I did.
This news went through the entire school like an atomic wave -

And tommorow I have to look them all in the eyes knowing they know what happened.

WHAT FUN!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a joke, but next time, bring your stun gun. It is a defensive weapon rite? Don't have one? buy one.
Don't worry to face tomorrow man. The only thing that you have to afraid is that if there is no more tomorrow. Seriously, though. It is not your fault. Just human rage that reach its limit.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I definitly do not have the same control as you. At an early age all the way up to senior year in high school, I was taught to be ''submissive'' to back away from confrontations, and how it is better to walk away. In certain situations that is true, but now that I am almost 22, I learn sometimes you just have to stand up for what is right. If I was in high school, talking smack would of resulted in returning the favor, if someone threw something I would probably ignore it and let it go. I have never been in a fight in high school, but I sort of wish I did. Now thinking back it seems like I was stepped on, and punk'd. If I were to do it again, the one guy that had some issues with me would of recieved a ''lesson'' I was bigger than him too. I am totally different towards confrontations now, because I hate the feeling of being weak and having someone else control you and make you feel bad. Sorry for the long post. If I were in your shoes, I would of done something after he threw the fork. IMO you let someone step on you once, they will do it over and over again.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Self control is what it is all about. I had a vice-principal who did not care who started it (junior high): both got suspended.

These days, I would look hard at him, and project a black inverted pentagram, with one of the upper points broken, on his forehead. I did that once, defending the owner of the residence hotel I lived in, in Hollywood, CA. The recipient went off and physically attacked an LAPD officer. The subject you speak of, would probably have attacked the teacher, instead.

Forgot his meds only that day, huh?? I bet it has been some time, since he took any meds.

Aragorn: If he is not in jail or psych ward, Watch your Back!!!

As long as the actual witnesses back you up, you should not have a problem. If you do, you can fight it, in court. Your actions were in Self Defense, as he intended Serious Bodily Harm to you.

If he is in jail and charge (as he Should be), then you will have to go to Criminal Court to sit, wait, and likely testify. (been through that myself)

What are Forks doing in a Classroom?? Given that he used them to attack you, THAT is Assault with a Deadly Weapon!!!

By his own mouth, he knows right from wrong, so Insanity is NO defense in his case. (Criminal definition for this requires that the defendant NOT know right from wrong.)

I do HOPE you are not in one of those States, where Self Defense is a Felony. It used to be, here in Ohio.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Be prepared for a possible unjust resolution to the fight. Schools, (at least where I grew up) doled out punishment equally regardless of the circumstances.

I was sitting in class my junior year and a guy I had never spoken to stood up walked across the room to my desk and slapped me on the side of my head. The teacher saw this and told him to sit down. When I say slap I mean he clocked me good. I stood up, one because I was shocked and pissed and secondly to be in a better position to defend myself. He stared at me for a moment then reached for my neck and gave his best effort at strangling me. I punched him three times before he let go while at the same time using my other hand to try and remove his hands from my neck. The teacher was screaming hysterically. By this time (a whole 15-20 seconds from the onset) several other guys were up and grabbed this maniac. Once subdued he spoke his first words ever to me and screamed over and over he was going to kill me. His nose was bleeding and he had a knot over his eye. My neck was bleeding from where he scratched me with his fingernails. I was a good 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than this guy. I had no clue what brought on the attack. I had never even looked at this guy before. We were sent to the office and both got a three-day holiday. I was told I was being suspended because I struck him back, I was bigger and I was supposed to be a leader in the school. The vice principal then told me why the guy attacked me. It was because I had talked to a girl that sits next to me in class and she was the girlfriend of his buddy that had already graduated. All I could say to this was, "what." Unbelievable, I casually talk to a girl I sit next to in a class which I had done many times through the semester and for some reason on this day it pisses him off. I had no interest in this gal and think our conversation that day had something to do with Elvis dying and how she was a big fan. Other than some ugly remarks I made when he was saying he was going to kill me I never said a word to the guy again and he never talked to me.
The real winner in the fight was my parents. They gave me a list as long as my arm of chores I had to get done during my 3-day vacation. My Mom said, "You're not going to get kicked out of school and sit on your butt and watch TV for 3 days while I'm at work".

Point being; don't be surprised if you both get the same punishment.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Schools like to think that they are in control of their own space when it comes to things like this. The reality is, once something escalates beyond a certain point you can quite properly bring in the police.

If the school will not handle it in a manner that is agreeable to you, or gives you ANY heat for defending yourself at all you need to first tell them that you are going to bring in your lawer and file the appropriate paperwork with the police. If they continue to excert some stupid blind authority over you as well then do it.

Some people think you have to be rich to hire a lawer but thats not true. You might have to sacrifice your flashlight budget for a few months, but it will be worth it.

Do it legally, and do it tomorrow. Give the school a chance to do the right thing. They might, although my own experiences with school authority doesn't give me much hope. Then when they fail you have to take your defense into your own hands once again.

Make sure that the consequenses for this are entirely his. If the school wants to tell you anything you point them to your own record and make an appointment to bring in your lawer the following morning. If you don't do this then you're letting them screw up your record and reputation and life for no good reason.

As a matter of fact it would be a good idea to go over to the police station RIGHT NOW and file the paper work. Be the first one in there so that they hear you first. There is a good chance that the other moron is doing just that also. You can always drop it later if you feel that the school has properly handled it.

Get on the phone right now and make an appointment to give a statement to someone at the police station.

yclo

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
You need to attach the T.I.D. at the end of that E2. Your battle would be been over much sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or an A2 porcupine!

d'mo

Enlightened
Trevor, I agree with James that a the police should be involved. Perhaps a restraining order might me necessary. You're in school to learn, not to have to put up with that crap. I come from a family of teachers (I'm the "black sheep" and went into electrical engineering) and none would have allowed the situation to escalate beyond name calling so, I admit, I'm ashamed of how they handled this.

Sometimes, something like this is enough to earn the respect of fellow classmates and you won't have to deal with it any longer, once they know you will defend yourself. I speak from experience. It's a shame the world works this way.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I endured emotional and physical abuse in grade school. Looking back as an adult, I have this to say:

This is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Involve the law. This was assault and battery. This was a violent crime, premeditated, with a long trail of prior events. You proved admirable restraint, and the school proved complete incompetence. Just because it happened at school between students means *nothing*, beyond that the school can be held liable. If it happened on the street, there would be a police report. People would be arrested. But for some reason, the school wants to think that crimes are OK if we call them "a phase" or "kids being kids".

Fight back with the big guns of the Law. Throwing pencils, forks, books -- all the things he did to you before you fought back were *illegal* and the school allowed them to happen. Luckily, you are in the USA. Talk to a lawyer, and "explore your options." Best of luck.

Once you survive the fight, there are three more things to survive:
1) the retailiation of your attacker or their associates.
2) the legal action, which may not go your way.
3) the constant debate in your mind of how you should have done differently.

You were a very good sport, but do not lose sight of the seriousness of the matter. Either of you could have been greviously wounded. People die slipping in the shower. This could have been much worse.

I'm not advocating you join the Great American Pastime and sue, but file a police report and talk to a lawyer about your options, because I would expect that Grant's parents are. The biggest issue is that you grabbed something which wasn't in your hands to start. Acquiring a weapon looks really bad. Get specific advice from someone qualified to give it.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Holy crap dude! Drop it right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may be in deep stuff for using the flashlight, since it was something you reached for, not something already there . I have no idea what Kentucky's laws are, but I doubt they would smile upon the TID.