My visit to Surefire

Greta

Flashaholic
I had the honor and pleasure of visiting Surefire on Monday. It was the perfect way to finish up a relaxing long weekend vacation. I'll admit that while I was on my cruise, I was almost anxious for it to end so that I could go to Surefire and visit with PK and see how these wonderful tools that I carry around with me every day come to be.

First, I want to take this opportunity to thank PK for taking time out of his very busy day to show my husband and I around. Obviously, PK is an extremely busy man and for him to take a few hours out of his day to indulge us, I cannot express my gratitude enough. Thank you PK... thank you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Where to start... I guess PK's office is as good a place as any. One word... WOW!!!
wow.gif
... I'd never leave my office if I had the things in it that he has. Hopefully, PK didn't notice the drool at the side of my mouth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif and didn't mind me touching everything... I just couldn't resist... so many things to see... so many lights to shine... I felt like a kid visiting Santa's workshop! The lure-light was especially entertaining... and yes, I did get to hold "The Beast"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

We then took a tour of the rest of building to see the prototype shop, the assembly cubicles... yes, these people have wonderful jobs... and they all seemed very content. Rooms full of all kinds of circuits and "stuff"... I was in awe that there were people who actually know what all that stuff is!!!
wow.gif

Then it was off to the customer service building where I met all of the people who answer your calls when you have a problem. They were all very nice to me... even though they knew who I was... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... And they all had comments about CPF... made me proud to be a CPF'er... kinda like when you go to openhouse for your kids at school and the teachers tell you how much they like your kid... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif ... and I was able to glimpse the new Surefire Catalog as it was being created... now that's the job I want!!!
icon14.gif

And I met Derek... SureFireMarketin. And he gave me a very cool hat! I'll have to get some pictures of me with it on... Thank you Derek!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Then it was off to the machine shop. This place is by far the most incredible place I've ever seen. At the risk of being redundant... WOW!!!
wow.gif
... To watch a solid rod of metal become the battery tube for an E2 in less than five minutes is something to behold! UNBELIEVABLE!! I must have stood in front of each of those machines for at least 15 minutes watching in awe as each part took shape and was laid carefully on to the belt and the next piece began to take shape. And then I was introduced to the man who makes those mills work... Gustav... it was truly an honor to meet him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Along the way, I also met Travis and Connell (I do hope I spelled that right ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) who are the tactical team for Surefire. Both were extremely interesting to talk to in addition to being a pleasure.

I do want to make a comment about the rumors of Surefire "vaporware"... they are definately just that... rumors. The products that I saw were solid... tangible... hardly vapor! I saw them being turned out from a single solid piece of metal. I saw the finished products. You all will see them at SHOT Show 2004! I can't wait to own these lights. 'Nuff said... you'll have to wait for SHOT. Just be assured that what you will see will not be "vaporware"... they will be available... soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I also want to make a comment on something else... What I saw was the future... for all of us. I saw people who are dedicated to making the world a better... and brighter... place. People who use their knowledge and skills to improve technology for the benefit of all of us. These people love what they do and they do it selflessly. I am humbled. Thank you PK and Surefire for letting me have a small glimpse into your world... it truly does give hope for the future! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's great to hear you had such a nice visit. I can't imagine how busy they are there. I'm also happy they like us here at CPF.

I think Gustav could effectively be named the Lathe Master? I've only seen small machine shop lathes in action. I'm with you, I could watch one of those big machines for at least a good hour.

I wish I could go to SHOT 2004 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I almost feel left out already.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... sounds like quite the trip. I can only imagine what it must have been like. Working for Surefire... talk about a dream job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:

I wish I could go to SHOT 2004 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I almost feel left out already.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto those comments. Sasha gets to do ALL the fun stuff while we are stuck at home. Did I mention I am starting to really dislike her and all her fun, fun, fun? All Jack (I) gets is all work and no play...and yes it is making me very dull.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm so insanely jealous... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:...and didn't mind me touching everything... I just couldn't resist... so many things to see... so many lights to shine... I felt like a kid visiting Santa's workshop!

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Did your husband have to treat you like a child in a gift shop, touching this & touching that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure we'd all do the same thing if we thought we could get away with it! Sounds like a nice way to end the trip! Icing on the cake! Heck, I of course wasn't even there and you've got me wanting to thank PK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The products that I saw were solid... tangible... hardly vapor! I saw them being turned out from a single solid piece of metal. I saw the finished products.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do tell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm thinking "L2" type multiple brightness with a Luxeon III @ 60 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucky dog...a trip to Wal-mart is the most I can hope for in any given year. I didn`t realize you liked lights...thought you were just the sweet lady with the wip...keeper of the clink so to speak.

Now that I understand...let me take a moment to remind you...as your a flashaholic...just like the rest of us poor unfortunant souls...your loyalties lie with CPF and the gang here. Ok now, so tell us all about the soon to be released lights you saw...don`t leave a detail out. And don`t forget to post a picture of the hat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glad you had fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ken

d'mo

Enlightened
Sasha, any pictures? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
No... no pictures... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If I were to post pictures or give details, I would virtually cut my own throat. I would not be allowed the privilege of seeing and having knowledge of these things again in the future. And while I love you guys like brothers... well... you know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:

Then it was off to the machine shop. This place is by far the most incredible place I've ever seen. To watch a solid rod of metal become the battery tube for an E2 in less than five minutes is something to behold! UNBELIEVABLE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it was a lot less than five minutes. If it wasn't, you should call and tell them to get a swiss lathe, like a Citizen L25. Should only take 2.5 min tops. Prehaps I should swing by and fill out a job aplication.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whatever the time was, I'm sure Gustav ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif ) had it all under control. The man runs the cleanest manufacturing plant I've ever seen. Eat off the floors they must.

Al

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Back from Chicago-land and beat to s**t! I gotta "exercise" my invite one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (I'm abt 5 miles away.)

Larry

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Whatever the time was, I'm sure Gustav ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif ) had it all under control. The man runs the cleanest manufacturing plant I've ever seen. Eat off the floors they must.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif ... That place was SPOTLESS! ... BTW Al... I think Gustav is bigger than even you... what a BIG man! And VERY nice! He runs one hell of a shop there... "AWE" is the only word I can think of to describe what it's like to visit it.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The man has a monster handshake that only a man called Gustav could have.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! That is exactly what I said to KC!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif