When did you know you were a flashaholic?

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
For me it was at Cub Scout camp when we went on the obligatory night hike. I had one of those GI issue 90º lights; the kid walking infront of me had some light that was way brighter. For some reason we traded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gifand I got to use his much brighter light. I was in heaven. Thru the years, I searched for really cool lights, not knowing why I was searching but knowing that something better was out there. Even thru college, I still had no idea I was addicted. It was not until recently that I have come out of the cheap flashlight aisle, taken my light catalogs out from hiding and embraced my addiction and need for light. I did not know it then, but I know now that night at Cub Scout came I became a flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Long live the light (well, at least your batteries)

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was little, about four years old, my dad brought home a used Teledyne Big Beam flashlight. It used a 6-volt battery and I loved to shine its bright, long, beam in the backyard at night and look at the power wires on the poles. I found the neighbors power wires on the next block too. Dad also got me a used Ray-O-Vac 'Hunter' light that used 4D cells but it was not even close to the power of the Big Beam. When I saw what the neighbors were using, just 2D cell Ray-O-Vacs I knew I had something special in the Big Beam and used it quite often to play with.

I tried to ignore my latent flashaholic addiction for many years. Past the teen years many years after that. But two years ago I had to give in and believe that I was a closet flashaholic. Since I found CPF about 4 months ago and I found other people with the same addiction I gave in to my desires and went public with my addition.

In going public I found it interesting that two people at work are also closet flashaholics.

My son is a 4 year old flashaholic now.

Edit: I notice my wife in the last couple of nights play with lights too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif She is addicted.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it was probably in early high school. I bought a few flashlights (1 at a time) over the course of a month or so, because I wanted brighter ones of course. Well, when I showed up at home with a new one, my dad scolded me saying how my mom was getting upset at the number of flashlights I had buying. (At that time I had probably around 10 or so). It was then, when my parents noticed my flashaholism, that I did too. I didn't listen to my parents. I just kept on buying more, just not telling them about it! (Haha!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think it was back in the early 60's, late 50's and I insisted that I wanted this cool flashlight that you pluged right into the wall socket to recharge the batteries. It had a real wierd shape to it too! I had forgotten about this light until recently and I am kind of surprised that they had such an animal back then??!?! I got it for a christmas present. It had the two prong plug right in the tail. It swung out or had a protective cap; can't remember. Bet one of those would be a collectors item today! It was also probably a real POS compared to to today's offerings as well!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think I realised it sometime in the early- to mid-1970s when I received an Eveready Big Jim lantern for Christmas.
With that flashlight, I was the brightest SOB on the island (Douglas Island, Juneau AK) - that I know of anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This light really was good for its time, probably out-throwing just about anything else short of automobile sealed-beam headlight bulbs.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm not real sure. I don't have a really great memory.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I do recall looking for 5 and 6D M*gs, to complete a collection of D's. Also looking for better bulbs (example driving a 5cell bulb with 6). This was late teens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

I also spent a lot of time tweaking pr bases, shimming M*g lamp holder posts and other assorted tweaks to get a better beam. All through my twentys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

My Grandad was into night fishing on lake Livingston, but I can't remember what he used (I'm betting Coleman Lantern). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

So I guess I caught the bug around 16 (1976). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Of course SINCE finding CPF, my wallet has taken a BEATING /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif my collection has grown by a LOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif I have some really great lights I had never even known existed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif And I am on the cutting edge of LED technology through CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
When going to the market with my parents, and instead of getting candy, asking them to buy the disposable bic or Eveready squeeze flashlights by the register. Then I discovered Craig's site, which lead me to CPF.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who's a flashaholic? There are flashaholics here? Glad I'm not one of them.

Techmedic

Enlightened
As a kid around 6-8 years old, my aunt bought me a light that took 2 D cells, was metal had a headlight and a tail blinker. After that, Dad brought home a 14.4V nicad battery pack that electric starts a lawnmower, and put a connector on it to run a hand spot light. (6watt bulb) Brightest portable light ever. I was king of lights at age 8. At age 14 put a 35W snomobile headlamp on my bike and blinded all the oncoming drivers (badly out of aim cause I used masking tape to hold it!!)Cubs, Scouts, Venturers, Rovers, District service team, camping, residential camps, lights were very necessary!! My first mag light (4C) was purchased in 1984 at a police supply place, and was considered the best. Still have it. Used it as a "customer control stick" for taxi driving through my college years. Since joining CPF, I have purchased my 1st SF; a 6P, that now resides on my medic duty belt.
More lights (SF's, SL's, etc...) to come!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was an ignorant flashaholic for many years as I too thought the mags and big 6V latern lights were tops. Then about four years ago, I came across Brock's site which led me to Craig's site and then here. I remember how excited I was when buying my first real flashlight, a Surefire 8AX, and how bright it was. Ironically it became far and away my worst Surefire due to the constant battery problems that never got solved even after trying four batteries. It's OK as I am pretty much all LED now as it is.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it all started about 3 to 4 years ago for me. I have been trying to look for owls in a rural island north-east of Sinngapore and the only light I have then is a mini Maglite. To me the mini Mag is everything and I thought it was quite powerful to get the job done. That is until I realised that I only managed to see 2 orbs, the reflection of the owls eyes staring at me and nothing else. Everything else is black. I decided to get a more powerful light. It was the 3C cell Maglite. At that time I thought Mag's are the best. After a while I grew sick of lugging that weight around. Then came my quest for a small and powerful flashlight. I am still not a true flashaholic then.

My quest for a small flashlight saw me with the UKE Q40 and I thought it was the best! I didn't know, I was ignorant...

One day, my friend called me and told me he bought a Surefire Z3. I saw his light but the price put me off. It was until a few months later and after many UKE Q40s that I decided to buy my first Surefire M2 Millenium. That converted me not only to Surefire but also into a full-time flashaholic. By then I knew that I had fallen in love with flashlights. My collection started growing and I have a soft spot particularly for Surefire products. Here are my Surefires in sequence of purchase...

1) M2 Millenium
2) KL3 for use with M2
3) E1e + KL1 (lost a few months back)
4) E2e Exec Elite
5) KL5 for use with M2
6) G2Z with P61
7) M3 with strike bezel (order still shipping)
8) E2D Defender (reserved next shipment)

My next light most likely would be,

1) M6 Millenium
2) U2 Digital Ultra
3) L2 Lumamax

As you can see, I not only buy Surefires but I make it a point to purchase all the HAIII models with the exception of the G2Z. I have an Inova X5T too and I am looking into Inova XO and T3. I am also looking at the Arc4+ Rev2. I am so worried...my collection is killing me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Now my friends regarded me as insane... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but am I ??

Andy Ho

greenLED

Flashaholic
When I was near an airport and saw a large plane landing; I looked up and started wondering if it would be possible to mod landing gear lights for EDC...

BillM

Newly Enlightened
It's one of my earliest memories. I was about 4 years old (1958) and in the hospital. It was night time and the nurse used a flashlight (probably a 2d) to check on me. For some reason I was so impressed I never forgot it or lost my love of flashlights. Of course, some have said that I tend to be impressed with the simple things of life...

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I My self have allways seemed to like lights, arc lights ect.. I did not relize I was addicted till I put HID fog lights on my jeep, totaly coverted my honda 450es quad to HID and then bought a MaxaBeam. No denying it at all now