Oh man I'm pissed off/thankful/addicted...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man I\'m pissed off/thankful/addicted...

So I did somehing stupid tonight.

I lost my M3t+A19+MN61 when I was hiking in the hills to take out the stress of finals and all. All of a sudden a mountain lion came out of nowhere and came after me. Naturally I used my M3t to try to frighten it. Not this time, it bit me in the hand and somehow took the light with it and ran off... It just dissapeared. I need to start carrying a gun when I walk next time(I would if not for the damned 21 year old age requirement for handguns, this law is obviously written by people living in lala-land where wild animals don't exist)...My hands are find, just a little cut, apparently the ******* bit mostly on the light and scraped my hand, and there I was thought I just lost my hand...

Now many of you may remember I lost my A2 when I was hiking a while back.

So that marks a grand total of 340+180=520 bucks worth of lights that I lost to the forest.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Well, to treat myself for working my *** off for the finals, I just ordered a M6.

I think I'm addicted...

What do you think?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oh man I\'m pissed off/thankful/addicted...

You know, it would make sense if I were thinking straight which I wasn't. But finals in Berkeley means I had about 6 hours of sleep in 3 days, and I needed a little walk to wlak it off. Although in this case i'm not sure a lanyard would be good since the Surefire lanyards are designed to break away under stress and a charging animal probably would have qualified.

But any how, Hence why I said I did something stupid...

SO yeah, lanyards. Gotta start use them...I can't afford to lose lights, especially after this....

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey man, at least you have a crazy story and it wasn't like you couldn't find it after looking around in a Denny's parking lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Its a good thing you weren't hurt badly. Here in South Jersey, the only wildlife we've got to watch out for are rabid squirels.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad to hear you are OK. Sweet a SF M6, I just got mine last week and I love it!

270winchester..does local law stop you from carrying a pistol grip shot gun?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I go to school in Bay Area, California(I know, I know, right across from SF where they are trying to do away with handguns, period), last time I checked a shorty is a no-no with the law around here...

I wish I could, a 300 grain slug would have taken care of it. But the cops get a little ticked of to see young guys walking around with shotguns in the hills without a badge...

Back on topic, yeah I'm uber excited. Now a days since i can buy 123's for like a buck a piece, the whole cost thing is actually getting more and more managable. Well, as long as I can keep myself from losing the light, that is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it's weird, after all my decent-powered mags, i started to crave for the SF's again, they just look damned sexy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Nick

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

You got your flashlight jacked by a mountain lion? I bet you can find it close by to where it happened. Take a big bowie knife with you when you go looking for it.

Jeff

beav

Newly Enlightened

Yikes - That sucks that you lost the light. But damn, an adult mountain lion bit you - and all you got was a scratch?!?! Lucky Lucky. If that cat wanted to kill you, it would have and could have. Chalk that one up to an expensive version of 'wrong place at the wrong time'. It seems that xpitxbullx might be right, you wouldn't think the lion would take the light very far once it realized that it wasn't food... You just might be able to go find it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
270winchester said:
I lost my M3t+A19+MN61 when I was hiking in the hills to take out the stress of finals and all. All of a sudden a mountain lion came out of nowhere and came after me. Naturally I used my M3t to try to frighten it. Not this time, it bit me in the hand and somehow took the light with it and ran off... It just dissapeared. My hands are fine, just a little cut, apparently the ******* bit mostly on the light and scraped my hand, and there I was thought I just lost my hand...

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that was a mountain lion, I think it was another flashaholic in the same woods.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to hear you are ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think if I were you, I'd speak softly and carry the biggest, heaviest, nasty "walking" stick that I could find. And an easily-deployable blade, although IIRC Cali isn't so kind as far as knives are concerned either. .

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey 270,

Send the story to Surefire about their flashlight saving your bacon. Maybe they will post it and give you the C-note prize.

I glad you're all right.

GO BEARS!!!

By the way, you sure you want to hike in mountain lion country with an M6? It'll give you that deer in the headlights look!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, that is a strange story. My sympathies about losing the light.

I would go back, perhaps in daylight, to look for it. Of course, the mountain lion problem does require some thought about how you're going to resolve that. No point getting the light back but ending up as dinner.

But see it this way - perhaps the lion bit the light, pulled, and thought "ahh, that's my takeaway" as it wrenched the light away - and ran off thinking it had your hand it had bitten and pulled off. Hands are hard to replace. M3Ts, on the other hand.. can be upgraded to M6s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad you're safe.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

METAL DETECTOR! Those will work on aluminum right? Go sweeping the woods! you might find all of your SF's!

cslinger

Enlightened

So how long till we read the posting by one of us that goes something like........Can't believe my luck...I was hiking in the woods and found a slighly scuffed Surefire M3T.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

6D bipin mag74.
*Swing-BAM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh, and pepper spray too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif < the mountain lion.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa! That's wild. At least you got your hand back.

You might try this, (scroll down a little) but I warn you, it is truly useful enough that it's probably already illegal where you live.

I also would prefer to just muddle through with a gun but if all else fails you should consider looking for one of those tiny, lightweight, hidiously loud air-horns made just for cyclists.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!

Helluva story. You should definitely post it as a real life story on the SF website. Heck, if a snowblower story can win, finding your M3T with cougar teeth marks on it most definitely should.

Well, glad to hear you're fine but sorry about the light. This is one time when a pepperspray TigerLight might have been the best choice of carry.

Wilkey

Topper

Flashaholic*

Normally I like lanyards; I ordered 2 more the otherday from jtice. In the event a mountain lion grabbed my light thinking it was getting my hand that (in my book)would be a good time to not have one in use. It might have grabbed you somewhere else, better to run off with the light I think.
Good to hear your safe. I would think it dropped it near by
take a couple pals with you in daylight (make sure one runs slow just in case)you will likely find it.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah guys, I gotta go back and look for it...

Hey Topper, I'm the Eric Cartman of the guys(not that I'm fat just everyone else is skinny...wait...that sounds like denial...), so if the bugger comes back I'll once again be the one left behind... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll keep you guys updated...

Nick

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

No 270, you're not addicted - just lucky. I suppose you've already philosophized that if it wasn't for the M3t, the cat may have done more serious or the ultimate damage. I'd want to replace one of my best lights, too, if it were lost.