Bright lights are fun....

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have enjoyed yourself with shining your lights on white walls and/or by doing side by side comparisions outside, but I can promise you there are nothing more fun than getting out there with other flashlight users and make their lights look pathetic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The other night I was finally called out on a nightly SAR mission so I finally got the chance to try out some of my lights in real use. I "only" brought 4 lights, 6 if including headlamp and keychain light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
1. Stinger with FM 168A adapter and TL-3 bulb.
2. HP Stinger with FM 168A adapter and CA1499 bulb.
3. Mag74 on 7AA and with FM 3" head.
4. Pila GL2R.

I started off using the TL-3 Stinger, the first thing happening was that the person next to me suddenly found out that it was time to change the batteries in the Mag 3D she was using. After she had changed the batteries I got asked "Is there something wrong with my bulb?". She later followed up with statements like "I cannot see anything with this shitty light". Really priceless statements, and they put a big smile on my face. She ended up borrowing my GL2R.
Later, toghether with someone else, on the top of a cliff, I got someone to hold the TL-3 Stinger while I got the CA1499 Stinger out of my backpack since I needed more throw. And guess what, he refused to give it back (I didn't get it back until the mission was over).
Even later I brought out the Mag74 and this was the light that got the most attention, I shined it at someone 100 yards away and suddenly heard loud swearing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

When the mission was over a lot of people complained that they couldn't do a proper job because it was so dark and they couldn't see very far. I could not say the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This just shows how important good lights sometimes can be.

Sigbjoern

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you need a USL or Ken4 or X990 or KK or something like that to play with. The USL will make your Mag74 look like what the Mag74/7-AA makes a Mag3D look like.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Now you need a USL or Ken4 or X990 or KK or something like that to play with. The USL will make your Mag74 look like what the Mag74/7-AA makes a Mag3D look like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry Jim, I have already been planing on building my own USL class lights for quite a while. I'm still in the battery research face and I'm still trying to find a place that sells Osram 64668 and 64292 bulbs. I may also use the 64633 bulb. Both 64292 and 64633 should give twice the output of the USL while the 64668 gives equal output to USL.
This project is of course mostly just for fun, I don't see any practical use for these since they have so short runtime and run so hot. However, if I'm able to get hold of that 64668 bulb and I'm able to create the light as according to my plans, then I will have something in 2 1/2 D length with 30 minutes runtime, something which actually should be quite usable.

I would also like to play around with the Lightforce reflectors used together with an external battery pack that I can have in my backpack.

When it comes to manufactured lights, I only see the upcoming Rayzorbeam and KumKang Polarion to suit my needs. But these are expensive but will for sure produce swearing even at 300++ yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigbjoern

matt_j

Enlightened
Show off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
You need something HID I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Something HID in a LightForce reflector maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

newavitar.jpg

Later
Kelly