Another commercially available 10 Watt HID.....

wquiles

Flashaholic
With these 8 and 10 W HID units, and except for the "trully" Tactical nature of instantaneous "ON", why would anyone keep buying something like the SureFire M6? It seems that you can get several hundred lumens, have a runtime of close to an hour(!) - what else do we need?

I have always lusted for an M6 but with these new HID lights, I am starting to think that an M6 is no longer that "hot" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Another commercially available 10 Watt HID....

It is the SF quality that is hot. I have difficulties to trust all those new HID torches out there. This is complicated tech with dangerous batteries and I am not so sure if I want to take the plunge just yet.
Although I have to admit I am more than tempted.
bernie

lotsalumens

Enlightened

I have a Wolf-Eyes Dragon II 10w HID and its output to size ratio is not that impressive. My Surefire M6 blows it away. I think some of these 10w HID manufacturers are really inflating their specs. The Dragon is still a neat light that is very well built, but its output is a little disappointing.

cfb

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Aren't all those 10W HIDs built around the same bulb ... the same that is used in our CPF custom MagHIDs?
bernie

lotsalumens

Enlightened

Here are beamshots of the 10w Dragon II and the Surefire M6 which I just took. The camera was on manual with shutter speed and f-stop the same for each. Just thought these were interesting. When you are out in some serious darkness the difference between the two is pretty big, but the Dragon does have longer run time (just wish it were smaller),

dragonvsm6.jpg

CFB

lotsalumens

Enlightened

P.S. I am a big fan of HIDs in general and I love my 35w, 50w, and 1kW lights. I'd love to see Surefire release a 24 or 35 watt HID priced a bit more competitively than their "Beast".

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Thanx for the beamshots!
Very enlightening!
So ... either the Dragon is over-hyped or the M6 under-hyped. Knowing SF I guess the truth lies somewhere in-between ...
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I sent these MicroFire dealers an e-mail and asked if they shipped internationally ... I feel tempted to try this one out ... it looks so cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If it works out I'll post similar shots against an SF M6 and we'll see how the M6 will stomp the next competitor in line ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
bernie

lotsalumens

Enlightened

Kiessling,

Yes please keep us updated. I too have been looking at the Microfire light. It appears to be much smaller than the Dragon, and that kind of output from a smaller light would be more impressive. There was a thread about an earlier version of this light when the company was named Lightarms here.
In that thread a site is referenced that is in Chinese (??) but appears to have comparison shots with the M6 (you can guess which is which from the beam color in two of the shots). The site is here. (sometimes this site doesn't seem to work)

cfb

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Thanx!
I hope it works out, I want this thing now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kiessling said:
Thanx for the beamshots!
Very enlightening!
So ... either the Dragon is over-hyped or the M6 under-hyped. Knowing SF I guess the truth lies somewhere in-between ...
bernie

I agree however I'd like to see pictures after both have been running for 10, 20, and 30 minutes. Lots of light is good, lots of light for a long time is even better. YMMV. :grin2:

Also was the picture of the M6 HOLA?

-LT

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
HID head for the Surefire M series??? It would be great if they could make one that would run from the 4 in line setup of the M4, but also accept the power from the M6 battery pack as well (or even maybe a mini-HID for the M3!!)

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul said:
look like that M6 just owned that 10watt HID... lmao

I'd have to say it was the reverse - the M6 owned the 10W HID... and testing on the boards suggests that you'll get 350 lumens out the front of the light, versus the 500 lumens the M6 is rated for. If you check out the above photos, you'll see the M6 had a literal 'wall of light' which illuminated the area about the camera AND put a bright hotspot on the tree in the background, while the Dragon II had a narrow spot which wasn't all that bright, and lit up only a small part of the tree in comparison - and the spot didn't even appear as bright as the M6.

The main area those 10W lights win is runtime - our humble Mag2HID can do two hours on 8 AA batteries... a feat that the Surefire M6 cannot match, though it'll run cooler during its whole 20 minute lifespan. That, and the fact the M6 has an instant-on, makes it more useful in some situations.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Haesslich said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemul
look like that M6 just owned that 10watt HID... lmao

I'd have to say it was the reverse - the M6 owned the 10W HID...

:D

Here's a comparison of the Mighty SF M6 vs. the Microfire Warrior:

WarriorvsM6HOLA.jpg

WarriorbeamvsSFM6HOLA3.jpg

Warriorbeam3.jpg

M6 wins.

But the HID scores points in runtime (60 minutes on 4x123 vs. 20min on 6x123) and throw if that is important for you. It looses big time in beam quality.

bernie