Nite Ize drop in module?

cuervo

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nite-Ize LED Drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

Zbattery also has several options between Night-Ize and TerraLux.

I had bought a Night-Ize at REI and then found they also had the tale cap but don't sell it seperately. I went to Zbattery and found the tale cap by itself and then sale the TerraLux TLE-5. Sure it costs more than the flashlight itself did, but it was worth it.

http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/magparts.html

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

dehnehsu wrote: "Frys Electronics is carrying both the Nite-Ize and terraLUX conversion LED's and Tail cap switches.
The Nite-Ize was $6.99 for the LED and for only $1.50 more at $7.49 you can get the LED Tail switch combo."

Many thanks for that - I went to my local Fry's and picked up a Tail-Switch Combo for $7.49.

If anything this should be even better value than the Nite-Ize LED module only for $4.92 from WalMart.......

NiteIze_combo.jpg
NiteIze_comboCard2.jpg

NiteIze_comp2.jpg
NiteIze_TailSw.jpg

However...... although the tail-switch looks good constructed mainly of alumium -
I was kind of disappoiunted with it -
the one I got has a bare black plastic button and seemed a bit too soft and the "click" was not that positive -
although there is obviously an O-ring the tail-cap is not water tight - as I could easily blow air past the switch button.

The bare black plastic switch button felt loose and the click action was so soft -
that I thought it might have been missing a covering rubber boot -
but checking on the Nite-Ize web page at their photo -
largeledswitchcombo0wa.jpg

It looks the same with just the bare plastic button.

Although cuervo posted: "I went to Zbattery and found the tale cap by itself
http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/magparts.html"

The Photo shown on the Zbattery webpage
luc52007re.jpg

shows a better looking Red button -
although I'm not certain if that is a plain plastic button just in red,
or if it is actually a covering rubber boot?

Last edited:

Lightchain

Newly Enlightened

I got two of these Nitize minimag upgrades at Walmart for $4.95 each. They breathed new life into two old minimags. They are only a little less bright than a Gerber Trio but just as white. I think they are a great buy. Congratulations to Nitize for saving old minimags from the dustbin, and shame on Mag for not doing it first!

cuervo

Newly Enlightened

I didn't really pay attention to it at the time, but the tail-switch I received was black, as it shows on the Nite-Ize page, the the NI logo on it. The one on the Zbattery page does look like a cover but nothing else came with mine.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

cuervo wrote: "the tail-switch I received was black, as it shows on the Nite-Ize page, the the NI logo on it. The one on the Zbattery page does look like a cover but nothing else came with mine."

Many thanks for that input - that sounds just like mine - at first I thought the NI (=Nite Ize) was "IN" (!):ohgeez: there is also what looks like a crescent moon shape?

How are the actions of the button/switch on yours?
Mine is rather soft and not very positive......
especially if I compare it to any other clicky tail-switch I have (reverse or otherwise)

cuervo

Newly Enlightened

How are the actions of the button/switch on yours?
Mine is rather soft and not very positive......
especially if I compare it to any other clicky tail-switch I have (reverse or otherwise)

I was going to edit my post, but then saw your question and decided another response was due. Mine isn't very positive either. I can use it as a flasher if I touch it lightly enough.

I carry mine tail down in a Nite-Ize Pock-Its along with a folding knife. Today, I had my light come on unintentionally. Flashlight in back, knife in front. They have come to a natural position of more-or-less resting side-by-side, but in their own pocket.

Normally, there is enough of a gap between the Pock-Its and the switch that the switch doesn't get touched. (I can even push on the flashlight head down into the pouch, and it won't come on.) Today was probably a combination of the switch not having a very positive click to it, and the Pock-Its' position on my hip when I rode my motorcycle.

I can't say for sure when it came on, but I'm guessing it was during my ride, either from the saddle or my jacket hooking underneath it and pushing the pouch up into the light, which will make it come on. Normally in the car, I can position the Pock-Its on my hip well enough to not touch the car seat. Something to keep an eye on in the future.

Last edited:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure I trust the clicky on mine. It seems too soft, and easy to activate. I like a switch with a stronger spring in it. It feels as if it's about to break, although it hasn't failed yet. If I was going to take this light camping or something, I'd be sure to bring along the original Mag tailcap just in case.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

cuervo wrote: "Mine isn't very positive either. I can use it as a flasher if I touch it lightly enough."

Big_Ed wrote: "I'm not sure I trust the clicky on mine. It seems too soft, and easy to activate. I like a switch with a stronger spring in it. It feels as if it's about to break, although it hasn't failed yet. If I was going to take this light camping or something, I'd be sure to bring along the original Mag tailcap just in case."

Many thanks for the feedback on the Nite-Ize tail-switch guys.

Mine is also the regular clicky with momentary ON/flash - which I like -
I just don't like the softness and the flimsy/indecisive feel.

So people should be aware of this clicky tail-switch in the combo kit -
which seems very good value especially at the $7.49 price from Fry's Electronics,
IMHO it's only borderline acceptable.

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened

I bought one of the clickie tailswitches from Fry's a couple years ago and ended up taking it back because it looked and felt very cheap. As I remember, it did a poor job of switching, too.

Just bought the Nite-Ize LED drop-in, and was very impressed with the amount of light it puts out. A nice improvement over stock, and a bargain price, too!

From reading between the lines in some of the posts above, it sounds like it uses a regulator - does anyone know for sure? Or are they just picking LEDs with low Vfs?

Donald

Newly Enlightened

Sounded like the drop in LED would be good for my mini-mags; you all convinced me. :ohgeez: So I made a trip out to Wal-Mart. They do not have any here in Miami and two salespersons claim they have never seen them. I even printed and took the picture along. Sigh!

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened

My Wal-Mart in northern Virginia has a bare peg with the label and price tag where they would hang if they had any in stock.

Can't wait for them to resock. Sounds like a winner.

Radio

Modulated Moderator

I found this drop in last night at ****'s sporting goods except it was $9.99 and came with tail cap clicker to replace existing cap, same three cluster LED, seems like a good deal

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Radio said:
I found this drop in last night at ****'s sporting goods except it was $9.99 and came with tail cap clicker to replace existing cap, same three cluster LED, seems like a good deal

I found the same thing at Lowe's.

frogman74

Newly Enlightened
Nite Ize LED Upgrade Kit AA Mini Maglite

I purchased the NiteIze LED Upgrade Kit for my Mini Maglite and all I can say is WOW! I made this purchase today at FredMeyers for 7.99. The light is bright. It is a constant beam, not adjustable like the OEM light. One of these days I will buy another flashlight, a LED or maybe a nice hand carry spotlight. He He He.
You all have a wonderful day! Jason:sold:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nite Ize LED Upgrade Kit AA Mini Maglite

Yup... lots of folks have picked these up at Walmart and Fry's. Nice wide beam. Similar to the Opalec NewBeam but less good regulation and much cheaper!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got one from WalMart, only $5 there, and it does turn the MiniMag into a more usable light. The throw is cut down some, but overall it can acutally be used as a light now. Great investment for the money.

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened

I purchased one of the $8 sets just before Christmas from Lowe's. It included the LED and a push botton tail cap. The tail cap was rather lame. The spring too weak and it rattled. I called Nite Ize and was told that they had improved the tail cap. They sent me a replacement cap for free. Unfortunately, it was the same as the one I had.

I notice on the Nite Ize web site that there are two combo kit packages. One has a red push button. Does anyone have one of these? How is the quality? Both of the caps I have contain a black button.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened

Yes the tailcap is LAME ! I tossed it in the trashcan fearing the light would die in my coat pocket while it's hung on the rack. Incidentally, the night-ize conversion is under 5 bucks at wally world (walmart) without the tailcap, when I bought a second one for my other minimag I got it here...same lit less the tailcap. Sweet deal for around $4.69 if I recal the price right. :rock:

CLHC

Flashaholic

Interesting. . .Like I mentioned in another thread, soon after purchasing this and with only about a minute, if even that, of use I gave it to my father. . .Not enough lighting for my tired eyes. But that's a stepping stone for "upping" the Mini Maglite!

Latest posts