normal o recharg. batteries for 4CR123 Xenon

lagarto308

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased a xenon flashlights 220lumens with 4 CR123 batteries.

My doubt is what batteries can/should/must I use? normal or rechargeables?

I have read in other posts that recharg. volts are higher than normal's. Can I
obtain more lumens using recharg.? It is probably that xenon bulb get
burned out? I am going to use them continuosly only for a few seconds. I would
like to use rechargeables not for cost reasons but for long range (throw).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries will cause the lamp to blow. There are 3.0 volt rechargeable batteries available that are about 3.1-3.2 volts and while they will work, you should stay with using primary CR123A batteries for now.

If you are only using the light for short periods of time a single set of quality CR123A batteries will last longer than you might expect.

If you use the 3.1-3.2 volt rechargeables, you may see a slight decrease in initial brightness as compared to the regular batteries because the lower capacity rechageables will exhibit more voltage sag under load than the regular CR123A's. The 3.1-3.2 volt rechargeables will give slightly less than half the run time a set of CR123A's will give.

I'd use up a few sets of batteries first to get a better idea of what the flashlight's operating cost is before considering investing in a charger and 4 batteries.

One last thing, if you are using the batteries that came with the flashlight then I strongly urge you hold off forming a decision until you try a set of fresh brand name batteries. If you browse through the websites of some of the supporting dealers you will find them for as low as 1 dollar per battery.

There is some great info on different brands of CR123A's uncluding some amazing "discharge under various load" charts that you may find very helpful here.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC light, carried in my commuter bag, is a 12V G&P (200 or 220 lumens) run by three Wolf Eyes 150B (Pila 150S) cells. I made the body by adding a Surefire A19 1.5-cell extender to a 3-cell body. I blew two of these lamp assemblies by trying to power them with freshly charged cells. I now let the cells rest two days between charging them and using them, and all is well.

AW's 150S cells will not illuminate this lamp assembly.

If your 4-cell body is based on the G&P T-series, it's compatible with Surefire's C/D/P series and you can turn it into a 4.5-cell body by adding a Surefire A20 1/2-cell extender. (At least, I think the A20 is half-cell; if not officially, then it looks "close enough"). But I'm getting only about 30 minutes' runtime; if you don't mind the length of a 6-cell body, I suggest you add two Surefire A19 extenders (or the King Arms copy sold on eBay for $10 shipped) and use three 168S cells. AW's 17670 cells might work, too.