Modding & other stuff I'm willing to do for free

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: Modding stuff I'm willing to do for free

I have sucessfully disassembled 2 late KL1s without damaging anything. (Unless you count some melted strapwrench on the HA finish. :green: ) A McR20 is pretty much a drop-in for those who don't like the optic's beam. It only takes me a few minutes and Pri mail is $3.85 each way. I'm not interested in doing the actual mods. :shrug:

Greenone, Hope to get started tomorrw. :)

Larry

greenLED

Flashaholic

:thanks: Larry!
BTW, this one's 'cuz of your "bad" influence :buddies:
You rule.

Last edited:

wmpwi

Enlightened

Guys, your offers are inspirational. I've have not the skills nor expertise to make this kind of commitment, but once I figure out what use I may be, I'll try to follow your examples. Thanks again.

Warhoggie

Enlightened

I first want to thank GreenLed for this thread. Very nice indeed! Well, I don't have much skills in this area either. I can do a pretty good job soldering with Kiu's socket kits or frost a bulb or two. Though mailing items back and forth may be expensive. So maybe the locals will be the only ones to benefit.

The other skill I can offer is help troubleshoot your Windows based PC. I used to be a LAN administrator that build PCs for a living. Though seems like lots of people are computer savvy these days. Nowadays, I just test vehicle software for American Honda. :shakehead

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened

Great idea & offer. you've made my day. thank you greenLED and the rest. I
get many ideas but almost no skills to mod. hope some day I can offer some
good help. love this forum. Pathlight

greenLED

Flashaholic

I started with no soldering skills, and after many, many, (did I say many more? :) ) mods killed, I finally can do things a little better. Don't think I'm an expert modder; I am not. I can solder/desolder (most of the times :green:), but I can't build circuits for people, nor I'd have any idea of where to start building an Aleph, etc. Again, please read my disclaimer.

We really need more people to offer their services. I'm swamped with requests (some really challenging ones too! -which, I can't do, sorry) and it'd be great if more people could help. I simply can't do 20 mods per month, so I'll have to set limits at some point. So here's a :bump: with a request for more people willing to do simple mods at no charge.

Donovan

Enlightened
Help and suggestions for virus/trojan/spyware/malware removal

this thread has inspired me!

I too can help someone in my area of expertise. I am willing to offer free advice (in my spare time) on preventing (the key!) and removing virus/trojan/spyware/malware on your pc. I have expert knowledge of PC's, hardware/software, networking, administration and security.

Here are some examples of questions I will answer:
Whats the best antivirus? Spyware remover?
How do I prevent Spyware/Malware in the first place?
How can I speed up my pc?
I think I'm infected what should I do?
Damn popups!
Where is the best place to get parts/upgrades?
Where is the cheapest/best place to download (legal) music? ;)

Do not post here! Please PM me with your question(s)!

Taking some advice and wording from GreenLed (hope you don't mind!)
my "legal" disclaimer:
I'll continue to offer this as long as it doesn't demand too much time. Please understand that I'm very busy with work and family and am offering this free advice in my own spare time. I may not be able to help you in a timely matter. I offer no guarantees whatsoever. I will give you the best advice I can (I am an expert and do this for a living) and will do my best to obtain good results, but I cannot be held responsible for any damages, lost data, etc. etc. etc….

carrot

Flashaholic

GreenLED, how about making a list of things members are willing to do for free in the first post?

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic

That is a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it!
I'll copy/paste/quote people's modding offers as we go.

I don't think I've thanked the last couple of people who are offering their help. You guys are great! Any type of modding skill that you might be willing to share with others, please do so! :twothumbs

grnamin

Enlightened

Two mods I can do for free (you just need to pay for shipping to and from me):

1) Surefire U2: Not happy with the tint/donut? Send it to me and I'll swap out the LED with one of yours (PhotonFanatic, for instance, has some very nice W-bins available here) and/or shim the bezel with an O-ring to refocus the beam and remove the donut.
***Important: You must have the bezel loosened before sending the U2 to me. That way, you won't have to worry about that step. I've recently come across a U2 that was sent to me with a bezel that just wouldn't budge. I can only accept mod jobs for U2s with loose bezels.***

2) Surefire KL4: You want the LED swapped out with a better bin that you supply? You want to swap out the LED with a Luxeon III and a new converter board? I can do both. The only converter board I can install is a Wizard 2, though. That's the only one I have experience with. :D

PM me if you're interested.

trivergata

Enlightened

not quite modding, but I've been doing AutoCAD 3D virtual prototyping for years and am willing to help anyone who needs AutoCAD help. I also would be willing to do production drawings for anyone who has an idea but can't draw, although this would be tougher - many long phone sessions working out the design, I'm sure (and if you come up with something cool to build, I might expect a discount :huh: ).
Josh

greenLED

Flashaholic

First post updated to make searching easier. I want to give one more :twothumbs to all the people signing up. Your help is much, much appreciated!

(note to self: update to #34)

carrot

Flashaholic
I can offer some rudimentary Linux help.
I know a good deal of stuff about Linux and using it, so I can offer basic help, like an introduction to bash (the command line, terminal), how to sync to an atomic clock, applications to consider for ___ uses, among other things.
Linux troubleshooting I'm not so great at, but I can always give it a shot, and I can usually point you in the right direction for information if I don't know enough about something.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've moved abroad and am no longer actively modding. I'll leave my post up for reference, or in case you think I can coach you through some of this (which I'll gladly continue to do).

I want to make this clear: I'm doing this for people who, due to the lack of tools, knowledge, ability, and/or resource$, can't do their own mods. Please reflect on this before PM'ing me.

I can do the following for you:

• I can strip the anodizing off lights and light parts. I'd rather have people send me disassembled parts. I will strip the anodizing and seal the pores, no further polishing
  • I can add GID paint and/or GID+epoxy rings to grooves on your lights
  • I can add GID paint to the button on the SF U2 button (see pics here)
  • I can polish the reflector on ArcAA, ArcAAA, Infinity lights, etc., as long as you send me the empty heads.
  • I am no longer willing to mod your ArcAAA or IU lights. I'll be glad to offer pointers and coach you through these mods, though.
You only pay mailing fees back and forth; please include all materials, parts, and a SASE when you mail stuff to me.

My disclaimer:

I'll continue to do this as long as it doesn't demand too much time. Flashlights are my hobby and I'd like to keep it that way -fun. Please understand that I'm also busy with other things and you may have to wait, or I'll have to decline your request.

I offer no guarantees whatsoever. I'll treat parts you send me as if they were my own (I'm really careful with my stuff), and do my best to obtain good results, but accidents can happen and I can't offer replacement parts or guarantee the light won't be damaged. As with all mods, there's the risk of damaging the light beyond repair; you send me your lights with that understanding and agreement. I also can't be responsible for items lost in the mail, so please make sure you select appropriate mailing services (tracking/insurance) when mailing stuff to/from me.

Last edited:

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be willing to make an AA dummy for anyone that wants them. 1 per person please until my aluminum rod gets used up (about 4 feet left). They're crude but they work, I'll do my best on each one. I will make them 50mm with nipple. It'll take me a day or 2 to make it as I'm usually very busy.

Edit: This is free, no need to send any money.
*Edit: just measured my aa and it was 50mm so I'll only make them 50mm with nipple.
Edit yet again: US members only please to keep my costs as low as possible.

Last edited: