Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red Fox

MOD066finishedlightnewpic6900x.jpg

MOD066finishedlightpic1c445x.jpg
MOD066finishedlightpic3c445x.jpg

MOD066moddedswitchpic1445x.jpg
MOD066moddedswitchpic2445x.jpg

FM Red Mag2.5C, UCL lens, 4x McR20 reflectors, 4xLuxIII TW0J emitters, improved modamag PQS-C-Cu, D2DIM dimmer, running on 2x 18650 cells.

The heatsink is screwed down in the Maglite head. The D2DIM driver sits on top of the switch in his custom made cage. Cage is machined from Ertalon. The head is epoxied to the body to prevent twisting and breaking the wires.

The emitters are wired in two pairs of emitters in series. No resistors are added to limit the current. At the start using batteries fresh from the charger output current was 1.45A. :devil: Running the light at a lower setting current dropped quickly to slightly more than 1A after 5 minutes.

Lumens output: 4x (67.2 - 87.4) = 268.8 – 349.6 Lumens.
Lux reading at 1m using Meterman LM631: 1.20A = 11400 Lux; 1.10A = 10600 Lux; 1.00A = 9750 Lux; 0.50A = 5390 Lux.

Output current measurement: 10 min = 0.95A; 20 min = 0.84A; 30 min = 0.77A; 40 min = 0.72A; 50 min = 0.69A; 60 min = 0.66A.

You can read more about the D2DIM driver here and here.

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil:

Very nice Freddy,very nice :whistle:.

Love your work!!
But you know that right ;)

Benny

Waffle

Newly Enlightened
That's great.. Is a copper heatsink better for this mod? Just wondering.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waffle said:
That's great.. Is a copper heatsink better for this mod? Just wondering.
sure it is, especially with fresh batteries.

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Icarus

Love your mod- I just made up a Quad-u-mire in a D-M*ag and I have a couple of questions:
Do the 18650's fit flush in a C-M*g?
Is the M*g switch modded to a momentary-on type?
Is the PQS-C-Cu thin enough to allow the reflectors to fit snugly or have you trimmed them down? My mod is much rougher-looking than yours: the lens-retaining bezel sits proud of the rest of the head in my job.
Again- lovely job!!

Thanks

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICUDoc said:
Icarus

Love your mod- I just made up a Quad-u-mire in a D-M*ag and I have a couple of questions:
Do the 18650's fit flush in a C-M*g?
Is the M*g switch modded to a momentary-on type?
Is the PQS-C-Cu thin enough to allow the reflectors to fit snugly or have you trimmed them down? My mod is much rougher-looking than yours: the lens-retaining bezel sits proud of the rest of the head in my job.
Again- lovely job!!

Thanks

David,

1. This is a Mag2.5C so two 18650's fit without any problem.
2. Yes, the switch is modded to momentary-on.
3. No need to trim the reflectors, like you said... they fit snugly...

Thanks. :)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool mod i love the combinatino of parts and the 4 grooves down the body. Nice to use a 2.5C vs cramming into a 2C with no spring.. the way the driver is fit in is awesome. This light outputs more light than my RT4 which uses 4x UX1L.. (initially :).. i get just about 10,000 lux on high beam but that's continuous for 40 mintues or so. Don't want to get me started on the complexity of getting a maglight mod to change levels from twisting the head vs a far more direct approach like the D2DIM.. love the custom cage for holding the switch, and the use of copper.. what's not to love with this light, am i right?

-awr

pcmike

Enlightened
Alright, alright.. I'll bite.. how much to purchase this one outright? I'm really liking your workmanship. I've looked at all your mods and its top notch! I've got some more questions for you, but I'll PM you.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the driver fit into the end of the housing is really trick!

And though many have done them before, this thread is what prompted me to finally build a tri lux light. I did it in a 3D body with 3 RW0Hs, but I just got a PQS-C and am going to move everything over to a 2C though, sadly, I'll just be using the 2 18650s and a magnet.

Great looking light!

pcmike

Enlightened
Just so you know...
1. Icarus has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

:whistle:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
pcmike said:
Just so you know...
1. Icarus has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

:whistle:

Sorry... I've cleaned out my mailbox, please try again.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How was the current only at 1.45amps??

"H" Bin 3.03-3.27v

2 x 18650's = 8.4v fully charged 7.2v nominal.

2 x 3.27v = 6.5v

I would have thought you would be much higher than 1.45a with no added resistance?? So each emitter was only seeing 720ma??? Fresh off the charger you should be almost 2v higher than the Bin.

Mac