>>> Questions about Mag2C mod. <<<

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
That's interesting. The Maglite website shows 233.5 lumens for that bulb. (116 before they doubled their lumens ratings). Seems like you could get more from something else though. Pretty good though if you want a really reliable mag mod since it's running at the rated 9V.

I wonder how the Halogen Magcharger bulbs do?

I can confirm that M*gcharger bulbs hold up to 6AA NimH (and 6C NimH) great! I have a pretty well Frosted MC bulb in a Carley 1940 Reflector and it is quite nice.

Only problem is you must have a way to use a Bi-Pin bulb. And I wouldn't know a thing about doing that in a 2C. Maybe FiveMega to the rescue???

I also don't have any 18650, nor is my charger here yet to try my two rescued 17500s.

I have a buddy that will probably be here tomorrow (whoops Today!) or Sunday with a 2C he wants me to hot rod for him... it will be based on 123s for now...

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Only problem is you must have a way to use a Bi-Pin bulb. And I wouldn't know a thing about doing that in a 2C....

Try a Kiu high temp socket for the bi-pin mod. It won't smoke like a MC setup will.

-LT

Niteowl

Enlightened
Here's my two cents on the 3x123 mod.

I found some great tubing. It's called FLEXPEX. 5' was about $3.50. The cells slide in real nice with little play, no rattle.
000_0240.jpg

I use three #13 O-rings (ten/$1.10)to hold the 4" tube in place, very snug.
000_0241.jpg

Takes a little time to get the tube in without rolling the O-rings.
000_0239.jpg

With the 123's being about an 1/8" longer than the 2C's, I turned the tailcap in that much as I found my cells dented from the extra pressure. I also curled in the end of the spring for better contact.
000_0250.jpg

As some have noted, you don't have to get so detailed, but it looks pretty good IMO.

As for bulbs, I started out with the Radio Shack KPR112 ($1.39). Worked great, lasted part way into the second set of cells. Maybe two hours total. I would just change it with every cell change.

KPR118 didn't do much for me, perhaps the bigger filament is why.

Next up was the Browning 7.2V-0.75 AMP XENON BI-PIN replacement bulb for their "Black Ice" 3x123 ($7.39). Ignore the bi-pin description, it's a PR bulb of small diameter. I figured I'd try it and maybe get more life as it's intended for 3x123's. Someone said it was similar to SL's TL3 bulb. It was very nice, I dare say almost as nice as a 9P/KT2. By this time I had thrown a MOP reflector into the mix which blew the budget status of the mod. The Browning didn't last through a set of cells. I called Browning and was told that "off" brands of cell may shorten life. Pffff. I got them to send another bulb FOC. Just got it today and will find out.

Edit 8-12-6; Second Browning bulb still hanging in there. Perhaps I just got a "bummer" bulb the first time.

Next bulb to try is the Carley 1499's with halogen that litho123 has in GB. They'll suck the cells faster but should really rock.

Edit 8-12-6; The Carley does indeed rock, also sucks the cells faster as suspected. Mabey 30-40 mins.

All in all, it's a great mod and I've given three away with the direction that it is NOT a "go for a walk light". More like, WTF was that!?! It's also a great BOB light when you can't afford to spend $150-160 on a 9P/KT to stuff in a bag. I keep one in my truck with the KPR112. One I gave out had the Mag 6-cell krypton so it would last longer and be as bright as a light three times its size (the recipient's truck/wheelchair light).

Last edited:

Germ

Enlightened
cratz2, how is the bulb life of the KPR118 on 4x123'? Can you compare the 2C/3x123 with a KPR112 to a Streamlight TL-3? I was tempted to get one of those. I think they are rated at 200 lumens. The TL-3 I tried had some beam artifacts from not enough orange peeling of the reflector so I didn't get it. I'm glad now as I really like the modded 2C.

Niteowl, great idea with the O-rings. I imagine it would be frustrating inserting the tube and not having O-rings crawl up the tube.

What is a BOB light? Bug Out ... I'm thinking.

This mod is great. I'll experiment with brighter bulbs, but probably keep the light at the 6 cell Mag level for better runtimes.

I like the form factor of the 2C, but it is a little short to be a thumper which is one of the best attributes of the Mag lights. My next light will probably be a 2D ROP (Roar of the Pelican). I'll see if that feels more substantial. I'll probably get a 3C Mag and put 4 123's in it. I think the 3C will have a good feel to it. I have a 3D and I've always felt that it was about the perfect size for a Mag. Something good to have in the car or when hiking down a dark trail.

Last edited:

Germ

Enlightened
Is there a bulb that will work reliably light up with one push of the switch using protected 18650's? Everyone always mentions using unprotected 18650's and I don't think I want to go that way.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Niteowl

Gotta congratulate you on one of the best looking inserts I've seen to date. Very neat!

Doug

davidra

Enlightened
The mod will outshoot a TL-3, mostly because of the size of the reflector. Also, the GH-24 bulb is brighter to my eyes than the KPR112. Of course, the TL-3 will clip to a shirt pocket and is a whole lot smaller.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What about Carley 809 and WA01318 bulbs? I have some potted ones from a while back and as I recall 809 was good on 3x123 and 1318 on 4x123 or 4x123+1AALith.

What is the safe number of NimH for each of these?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Answered my own question to a point...

The Carley 809 on 3x123 doesn't impress me anymore with 1274 and 1185 around!

In the only D M*g I have without a Bi-Pin slug I tried the 809 first with 6AA. Then 7AA (which was better). Then on 8AA and it got pretty darn white and bright.

But that light has been doing quite well with 6AA and a 4.8V .75A Frosted Krypton and I can't see using two more AA for similar brightness, and I'm too lazy to go frost the 809 anyhow!

I don't have an easy way to test the 1318 but I imagine 10, 11 or even 12AA is what it will want, and that it still wouldn't beat the 1185 on 9AA!

And this probably belongs in a different thread anyhow, but I DID test the 809 in a 2C first....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Maybe I got 809 and 1318 backwards...

I flashed a 1318 on 11AA, and find the other one I have to be pretty darn bright on 7AA.

And yes, this post has NOTHING to do with a 2C Mod. But it continues my quest for information...

InfidelCastro

Banned
I went around looking tonight for tubing for my Mag 2C. MadMag, I almost picked up a 2 pack of the bulbs you were talking about. There were three packages on the rack. They were $6.99 per pack of two. Kind of expensive for something that might insta-flash I thought, but your recommendation made me decide to buy them. I took them to the counter and the guy said he had already closed the till. They announced "Sears is now closed" over the mic about 30 seconds before I took them up there. Argh! I forgot they closed at 7 on Saturdays! Oh well, maybe some other time.

What I was really looking for was a 6D/6C Magnumstar Xenon bulb to use, because I'd like reliability and runtime above all else. The biggest bulbs they had at either Home Depot or Lowes was the 4D/4C bulbs. I'll bet there isn't a 6D Xenon Mag bulb to be had in this town!

I bought some water heater hose at Lowe's, but the batteries are kinda loose in it and I don't like that. The hose fits the C body perfectly though. I'll probably end up buying some PVC and sanding it down.

Was looking for some water heater hose in 11/16", but apparently they don't make the stuff. I saw somebody mentioned early about .660 inside diameter and .880 outside diameter. No such thing at my local hardware stores. Only 3/4" and 5/8" inside diameter.

I was considering wrapping tape around the batteries to make it fit in the water hose snuggly, but decided that's kinda lame to have to do that everytime..

Last edited:

PJ

Enlightened
I used heater hose on my 2C Mag. I don't need to change the batteries that often so it isn't a problem. I did have a problem with the spring gouging into the last battery. I bent the smallest coil inward a little and sanded the edge, or burr, off the end of the coil and now it looks to be OK.
I found 5 cell Maglite krypton bulbs at Batteries Plus. They have about 250 stores nationwide so maybe one is near you.
PJ

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was gonna get a couple of Radio Shack KPR112's, but MadMag says the Sears ones are brighter, so I'll probably go that route instead. Would really like some 6 cell Mag Xenons though...

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro, The bulbs at Sears are expensive, and I hesitate to recommend an expensive bulb that could instaflash, but I continue to use this bulb and have not had any failures so far. I have been using with new Surefire batteries in two (actually tested 4 bulbs) flashlights. As far as the tubing. I would get the beige colored 3/4" marked CPVC (hot-cold water) tubing from Lowes or Home Depot (if any are close). I am the one that gave the dimensions you mentioned. This is completely different size than the white 3/4" PVC tubing. Then you do not have to sand. You can use tape on each end to take up for small outside dia., or in my case I have heat shrink that I use with heat gun on each end and makes neat job.

Additional note on the Sears bulb. I have found one other member that has used this bulb for a while on a 6D setup with no failures.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Just a little :bumpit: update.

I went on a Frosting jag a while ago in preparation for my buddy bringing his 2C over for us to Hot Rod.

The 809 has resisted my efforts so far. After a total of nearly 25 minutes (make that nearly 50 minutes!) I see NO frost!

I'm thinking the 809 will stand up to 3xRCR123 or two li-ions just peachy!

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
WOW! That Carley 809 is one tough mother! Over an HOUR of Armour Etch and you can't tell it was ever covered with it!

I have played with several bulbs in a 3x123 2C. I'm most pleased with a M*g Krypton 5 cell Fairly heavily frosted. I'm NOT pleased with how apparently quickly 3 new Battery Station 123s lost voltage! I checked a bunch of new ones at from 3.23 to 3.32. These 3 where only used sparingly for testing and now show 2.92...

I'm off to post the frosting data in the proper thread.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I have no idea how many lumens any of these mods put out. I'm just noting how well they light up the room doing the ceiling bounce test in my living room. My findings are that the KPR112 on 3 cells is definately brighter than the P60 lamp on fresh cells, but not quite as bright as the P61 on fresh cells. The KPR118 on 4 cells is definately brighter than the P61 lamp on fresh cells but not as bright as the TL-3 on fresh cells.

And as far as throw, all of my incandescent Mags have orange peel or sputtered reflectors. If I compare the KPR112 + 3x123 mod with a sputtered reflector to my Streamlight TL-3, to my eyes, the TL-3 is brighter and definately throws further. The reflector of the TL3 is textured so slightly that if you just glance at it from 2 feet away, you might think it was smooth. This contributes greatly to the throw it offers. If I sputtered the TL3 reflector, the Mag would clearly out-throw it but I've done probably two hours worth of comparing the KPR112 + 3x123 mod with a sputtered reflector vs the TL3. The sputtered mag certainly gives a larger hotspot, but the TL3 definately out-throws the mag with my sputtered reflector.

Germ, yes, the TL3 has artifacts but as we stay below about 200 lumens or so, and we want to keep our GREAT throw, artifacts are a fact of life. For close up use, sure, I'd rather have a huge hotspot with zero artifacts. But just Friday night, I was using my lights out of the attic window of a 3 story cabin looking into utter darkness and the TL3 throws basically further than I can see as does a regulated U-bin Magmod with a smooth reflector. The KPR112+3x123 with sputtered reflector puts out a good amount of light, but with the sputtered reflector, what once was tight throw becomes a larger and wider hotspot. Since we have to comply with the laws of physics, if the cells stay the same, the bulb stays the same and the design of the reflector stays the same, then a textured reflector is going to re-route the same photons across a wider divergence and will give less throw.

Also, I wouldn't expect the KPR118+4x123 to last any longer than the KPR112+3x123 build. I've personally flashed more KPR118s than KPR112s and I've used a hell of a lot more of the 112s.

I like all of these lights for different reasons... The KPR builds for their huge hotspots and Surefire-like beams, the Lux mods for their much longer runtime and non-failing 'bulbs' and the TL3 for it's outstanding throw in a pocketable light, but they are three different lights.

pizzaman

Enlightened
You guys got me all fired up.:rock:

I dropped into my local Home Depot over the weekend and picked up a pair of 2c maglites. I shimmed the tube and dropped in 3x123 Battery station lithium cells. I only had 4 cell bulbs on hand, so what the heck (an earlier thread mentioned running a 6v sears bulb, presumably 4 cells).

I dropped in a 4 cell krypton.... FLASH!!! D'oh!!!
I dropped in a 4 cell halogen... FLASH!!! D'oh!!!
Quick trip to Radio Shack. Picked up a KPR112 (5 cell) and KPR118 (6 Cell).
I dropped in the KPR112... FLASH!!! Double D'oh!!! :wtf:
I dropped in the KPR118... LIght. Finally steady lumens.

I'm not all that impressed with the output though. I pulled out my 3d to 4c with XPR103 bulb magmod and it seems slightly whiter and goes toe to toe with the 3x123 maglite w/118 bulb in output. I guess I expected a 9v+ mod to handily out do a 6v mod, but the 118 bulb is being pushed more gently.

Still trying to figure out why I instaflashed the KPR112. I'm guessing the batterystation bulbs run a little hot, combined with being fresh cells was too much for the 112 to handle. Any thoughts?

Will a maglite xenon 6cell bulb be brighter/better than a KPR118 w/3x123s?

When I get to Sears next I'll probably pick up one of those 6v rechargeable bulbs and see what happens (though my wallet is getting gouged with these instaflash experiments).

Also, the battery station lithiums are taking a beating from the spring pressure. The bottom of all 3 cells is dented from the pressure. I'm not sure if this is cause for any concern.

Thanks, TR (bulbless in Seattle)

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
Pizzaman,
First I hope the Sears 6V xenon that I recommended works. I know that it could be a lot for bulbs that instaflash, but I continue to run the Sears 6V xenon on two flashlights (have tested 4 bulbs) and even ran one bulb for 40 min. test. So far not one failure, but I am using Surefire Batt., so I am a little concerned that Battery Station is hot because I normally do not flash KPR112. Also, I have heard more than one say that the batteries dented, but I have not adjusted the tail cap spring and my Surefire's seem fine after more that one month installed.

pizzaman

Enlightened
MadMag,

Thanks for the sears tip. I still plan on trying that bulb (take one for the team and all).

I'll probably suck it up and try another KPR112 when the batteries have drained a bit.

I really should get out the old VOM and test all my 123 batts to see how they compare to each other. The BS batteries may be too hot, or may just be too fresh.

RE: batterystation 123 lithiums. It looks like they are structurally inferior to Duracell 123s I have used. I've never tried the duracells in my 2c mag, but the bottom just looks and feels more robust. The batterystation lithiums are inexpensive and get the job done in standard configurations, but the extra spring pressure from the mag has left its mark for sure.

TR

Latest posts