Mag 2C in BLUE

Niteowl

Enlightened
Stopped at Home Depot today for some HI supplies and just happened to wander past the flashlights. Lo and behold, two purple 2Cs were hanging from a hook. Thinking I had depleted the area Home Depots of colored mags, I was a little surprised. In the cart they went.

Not as surprised as when I got home however. Under store lights, purple tended to look deep blue. Under more natural light at home, there was no mistaking the color purple. When I pulled out the latest two at home, much to my delight, these were deep blue. No mistaking it, DEEP BLUE. I pulled out a couple purple 2Cs to see if my eyes were tricking me, but there was purple and there was BLUE. I'll try to get a decent pic up later.

Might not seem like much to some but I'm thrilled to death.

Anybody else see BLUE 2Cs out and about?

Mag's site still lists only black. They were tagged purple but I've seen many marked incorrectly.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have been a big deal to me. I messed up and didn't buy a pewter 4C two years ago. I found a pewter 2C (not that rare?) that I'm using as a 3xCR123 CA1499. I also found a jade 3C for a 6 2/3 A ROP. It's a nice color.

Since Cs are no longer produced I'm wandering when the bk Cs will no longer be easy to find. I wish I would have bought 6Cs in every color when they were available.

I've never seen a purple or a dk blue MagC in person. Good snag.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it strike anyone else as funny that M/\G dropped their best form factor lights for LEDs and then started bringing out LED models? With where they seem to be going with LEDs I would think that the C bodies would have been a big deal to them.

missionaryman

Enlightened
there's only one company I can think of who would be stupid enough to do a thing like that...

with lithium ion batteries D size just don't make too much sense any more.
I think people only buy m@g lites because they want a big metal club they can legally carry around

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
missionaryman said:
I think people only buy m@g lites because they want a big metal club they can legally carry around

EXACTLY.

And in this insane world where they tell law-abiding, good people that they are forbidden from carrying weapons, who can blame such people for wanting an item they can legally carry that could be used as a weapon if need be?

-Jeffrey

Niteowl

Enlightened
It took me a while to get a shot that came close to showing the colors anywhere close to decent. The shot still bites. Guess it's about time I figured out how to use my new camera. The BLUE is a little deeper than the pic. Purple was discontinued within the last year. The one on the far right is pewter, discontinued maybe a year or more ago.

You'll notice the logo and brand is a little larger on the blue. The serial number is higher also.

The C series is a great size. As far as I know, only the 5 and 6 cells were discontinued. I have a 6D with a 3 cell extension. Now that's a club.

000_0848.jpg

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's odd. I knew they quit producing Cs then I heard they were building a new plant then I heard they were going to introduce LED lights. I thought OK, they are going to take the tooling for the Cs, put it in the new plant and make C cell LEDs.

How about a 5W 6C w/lightly stippled reflector in red anodize? Noop. Not gun duit.

lexina

Enlightened
That's a great find! I love the Mag C-size. Out of my 9 Mags, 7 are Cs - one 1C (modamag cut-down), four 2Cs, two 3Cs, one 2D and one 3D. Other than black, I only have pewter and HA3 in the C-size and camo in the 3D. Am keeping the 3Cs for the C-sized LiIons that will hopefully materialize soon.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I was at my local HD and they have 3 blue and about 10 pewter 2C mags. Are these not being made anymore? Mybe I should go back and buy them, or at least one of each.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Mag's strategy seems to make perfect sense. It may not make a lot of sense to people here who may be focused to the point of omitting the viewpoint of the general public consumer, but for Mag as a company marketing to the general public as well as public safety, their reorganization towards D only bodies makes a lot of sense.

In today's US market, C and D size batteries are usually identical in price. A primary D battery contains about twice the energy as that stored in a C sized battery. And to the general public at large, paying the same amount for a battery that would last around twice as long would generally make more sense, and it would certainly be the choice of a public safety agency in terms of overall cost.

No doubt, Mag's decision is probably based on the overall sellthrough of their C cell lights compared to that of their D cell lights. Since the price on all of their lights, regardless of cell capacity, only differ slightly, it would be reasonable to conclude that the cost of manufacturing the lights do not differ by much. If the overall sellthrough of their C cell sized light lags significantly from the D cell sized lights, and I would suspect that it does just by casual observation of the purchasing habits of the general public and the inventory stocked by stores that sell Mag products, discontinuing the production of C cell components would enable the company to focus more on a more cost effective solution for their overall market, not just to a niche market of hobbyists.

missionaryman said:
there's only one company I can think of who would be stupid enough to do a thing like that...

with lithium ion batteries D size just don't make too much sense any more.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they certainly know their market better than I do. I would think Cs would be more popular than they are but your battery price point frustration description makes sense. Just like folks probably don't like paying the same for AAAs as they do for AAs.

Cs are just so nice. I know that ladies seem to like my jade 3C better than any other Mag I have. But that's a highly limited observation of impressions of a very bright rechargeable, svelte and pretty flashlight.

Oh yeah, Niteowl - I think you got the colors just about right. Sure, the background is washed out but the torches look right.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you read that Mag is discontinuing the 2C?

What colors did the Mag 2C production models have? I might just go and buy several for future incarnations of the ROP LE.

Thanks!
AlexGT

Niteowl

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
Nice pic. I'm not usually up for much beyond black or natural but those are really great looking.
Thanks. It's usually black or nat HA for me too. When I first saw the colored ones I had no interest in them. Someone wanted a purple one so I grabed one for them and ended up getting one for myself, same with pewter. I'd love to get a red one.

Allnew2me said:
I was at my local HD and they have 3 blue and about 10 pewter 2C mags. Are these not being made anymore? Mybe I should go back and buy them, or at least one of each.
Take an incan with you to check the color of those "blue" ones. You might discover they're actually purple. If they are indeed blue, let us know. Either way, the purple is discontinued as well as the pewter. I've gotten that info from a Mag CSR.

Grab what you can as they'll sell easy later if you want. I've bought at least four for other CPF'ers, one went to Australia.

AlexGT said:
Where did you read that Mag is discontinuing the 2C?
What colors did the Mag 2C production models have? I might just go and buy several for future incarnations of the ROP LE.
As far as I know, the 2, 3, and 4 C series is still being produced. But now that it's been brought up, I'm going straight to the horse's mouth first thing Tuesday morning. If the C series is getting dumped, I'm going to have to get a few more, particularly some 3Cs.

I've only seen the ones I have, purple, pewter, and blue. I suspect the blue may be a mistake. It may have been intended to be purple. I've heard red and jade were made earlier.

I really want to find out what the deal is with the BLUE ones I have. They're newer lights according to the serial no's. I'm going to have to check out the other local HD's and see what they have.

Icebreak, if I get another BLUE one, it's yours if you want it.

Dawg

Enlightened
Based on this thread, I too, went to Home Depot to check it out. What do my eyes behold? 2 weird purply blue 2C's and 3 in pewter. I bought the 2 blue ones and one pewter. I get home and the wife insisted they were purple not blue. I whipped out a purple one and she says "oh" "looked purple to me".

They are kind of an enigma. They are definitely blue, but with a very strong purple undertone. I slapped a Mag LED in one and a UCL glass lens and it is soooooo purdy. Thanks for the tip Niteowl. :twothumbs

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's probable that there are still plenty of C cell lights in the retail channel even if Mag really did discontinue production of them, I suppose it's entirely possible that it's just another one of those speculative rumors that come from reading and believing stuff on web sites as well.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went and bought a 2C, they have a weird color, It sometimes looks blue, and sometimes looks purpleish.

Found another 4 if someone want's one.

AlexGT

Niteowl

Enlightened
Mag 2C in ENIGMA BLUE

Dawg said:
...........the wife insisted they were purple not blue. I whipped out a purple one and she says "oh" "looked purple to me".

They are kind of an enigma. They are definitely blue, but with a very strong purple undertone. I slapped a Mag LED in one and a UCL glass lens and it is soooooo purdy. Thanks for the tip Niteowl. :twothumbs

My wife said the same thing when I showed her. I too pulled out a purple one (her very own), same response, with rolling eyes. Glad you like it.

AlexGT said:
I just went and bought a 2C, they have a weird color, It sometimes looks blue, and sometimes looks purpleish.

If you look at my picture you can see a hint of purple in the bezel ring. Depends on the lighting/angle. In retrospect I'd call it 072 Blue (PMS color). Better yet, I like Dawgs comment and I'd call it Enigma Blue. Anyway I look at it, I like the color a lot. With what you guys have said, I should be able to get a couple more.

Dawg

Enlightened
I keep looking at the color. It is quite captivating. I remembered that Mag was marketing some D cell lights currently that are called Midnite Blue. So, I thought maybe that was what this was. I found a picture and it does not look like these C's............

p_01_005540l.jpg

The more I thought about it, I realized the color is Cobalt blue. Like a good old Bromo Seltzer bottle. They are blue glass with a purple component. I have an old Cobalt Blue Hemingray insulator that is so close in color. I am wondering if like what was said in an earlier post is not true. Maybe they are a mistake. Is it possible that the purple stock was not selling well and they were reanodized blue over purple?????