Post your home-made lanyard photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
Great thread guys. I learned alot about making lanyards, I made a few for my lights, keys. I'm totally new at this. It's fun and relaxing.

I followed lots of the links, and I'm learning a few knots. One question I have:

How do you tighten the first knot when you want a loop? For instance here is a pic of the fobs I made, I want to add a loop, do I need to add a bead???

img5909web4zq.jpg

Also, melting the ends isn't as neat and tidy as I'd like it to be, are there any instructions anywhere about using epoxy? what type of epoxy do you use?

Thanks for the great info and posting the pics.

Mark

Stormdrane

Enlightened
doublemonkeyfists.jpg

When I made this, I wasn't sure how I'd use it as a lanyard. I put a swivel clip on it and attached it to my Arc P just as my nephew walked up(6 year old). He asked why my flashlight had balls. I told him their not balls, they're monkey fists. He justs stares at me with that blank stare kids have. :thinking: I tell him the Arc is a tough little flashlight with cojones. He just furrows his brow, frowns in confusion and walks off. I hear him in the other room asking his sisters what monkey cojones are. Good grief, kids. I hollered back "Monkey fists, not cojones, and it's just a bookmark!". Maybe they'll forget about it before the end of the week when they go back home, or I'm sure my sister will asking me some questions. :rant:

monkeyfistbookmark.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering, are these large monkey fists with ball ball bearing for personal defense? there cool, but can't see lugging that much weight around, for something i got to get very close to a perp. VDG
VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been making some simple short lanyard pull's from this really thin diameter cottonish cord i fought at a outdoor sports shop(climping, boating etc) I use it for hanging outside a holster to yank it out with, some just make it easier to find in a pocket. some with ring's or clips' (the ARC AAA has my road case key's).
This all I really need, i wouldn't mind learning some spiral type weaves,like
I have seen here, and been bookmarking any "how to" links. hey it's fun.. VDG

Here's a few different angles of the same shot to show color and utility:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

ghostrider

Enlightened
Here's a Double Twist in neon yellow and reflective black.

Under a flash (neon yellow shows up toxic green for some reason):

This is what it looks like without flash:

Same color combo and lighting sequence for one of my FAF's:

ghostrider

Enlightened
Red, white, and blue Twist Stitch:

Here's a blaze orange lanyard I made with a King Cobra, a Knife Lanyard Knot, a Cobra Twist, and another Knife Lanyard Knot.

clipse

Enlightened
Wow, you guys are awesome at this. I have only made a few lanyards. I really want to try and make a braclett with the king cobra stitch. I'll try that one next. Here are my meager attempts at lanyards. :)

favorites.jpg

lanyards.JPG

lanyard.JPG

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm a sucker for knots and lanyards where you can't see the ends. I've tied lots of monkey fists (or are they turk's heads; there is a difference between the two) that way, but it wasn't until recently that I learned to tie a bowsun. With the help of wpowell, who patiently explained how, I combined both into this:

I took the core out of the paracord, and tied the monkey fist around a 1/4" wooden bead I found at the local craft store. When I used a marble I was able to do 3 loops around the monkey fist. The marble one looks and feels nicer (a little more heft to it).

Last edited:

ghostrider

Enlightened
That looks more like a Turk's Head. I'm not sure how to explain it in proper terms, but a Monkey's Fist has only three axis for the cord to rotate (or turn) around. The Turk's Head, OTOH, has many different variations with different numbers of bights, and leads. For example, a Pineapple Knot is a Turk's Head of some form.

The following is a Turk's Head (4 lead X 5 bight):

This one is a Monkey's Fist:

A Chinese Button Knot may be a Turk's Head, but I'm not real sure what makes a knot a Turk's head. Other knots that look like they could be candidates are the Diamond Knot (Knife Lanyard Knot), and the Completion Stitch that boondoggleman teaches to finish a Square/Round Sinnet.

greenLED

Flashaholic
That looks more like a Turk's Head. I'm not sure how to explain it in proper terms, but a Monkey's Fist has only three axis for the cord to rotate (or turn) around.
From your description and pics, the one I tied is a Monkey Fist (it has the 3 axis), I just went around them twice.

The veredict is in! What I did was a Turk's Head, but tightening it over a round core like I did yields a ball. :)

The confusion I have is that some of the online instructions for "monkey fists" show it being tied by wrapping the line along your fingers. However, I tie my "monkey fists" "flat" by overlapping 2 loops and then threading one end over and under those. I've followed both methods and the results *look* the same but I can see where the line follows a different path when starting the knot around my fingers.

So, what am I tying? Is it a Turk's Head with a certain number of blights and leads that makes it look like a Monkey Fist? Or is it a Monkey Fist. I'm thoroughly confused now. Either way they look cool :)

I'm calling the Diamond Knot a "bowsun", just because that's what wpowell called it. I've been calling it "lanyard knot" since I first saw it.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turk's Head (normally, this is formed around a bar or something similar...different weave than the Monkey's Fist:
http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/turks_head/turks_head.htm

Monkey's Fist:
http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/monkeys_fist/monkeys_fist.htm

greenLED said:
I'm calling the Diamond Knot a "bowsun", just because that's what wpowell called it. I've been calling it "lanyard knot" since I first saw it.

Both are correct...To paraphrase Monty Python, "It's pronounced "bowsun", but spelled "Boatswain". :) "Lanyard Knot" is also correct and appropriate.

http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/boatswain_whistle/boatswain_whistle.htm

JM-99

ghostrider

Enlightened
greenLED said:
From your description and pics, the one I tied is a Monkey Fist (it has the 3 axis), I just went around them twice.

The confusion I have is that some of the online instructions for "monkey fists" show it being tied by wrapping the line along your fingers. However, I tie my "monkey fists" "flat" by overlapping 2 loops and then threading one end over and under those. I've followed both methods and the results *look* the same but I can see where the line follows a different path when starting the knot around my fingers.

So, what am I tying? Is it a Turk's Head with a certain number of blights and leads that makes it look like a Monkey Fist? Or is it a Monkey Fist. I'm thoroughly confused now. Either way they look cool :)
What throws me off is that where the ends go into the ball one axis overlaps the other, and then is overlaped by the same axis? Don't usually see that on a MF AFIK. I'm still a novice myself. :thinking:

ghostrider

Enlightened
Here's another one. It's a bad pic, but it's a Turk's Head. It looks similar to the MF because of the low number of turns, and probably the type of Turk's Head.

It looks similar to yours. Here's where I got the instructions:
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thanks: You Guys are great!

OK, so I've been tying Turk Heads all these years thinking they were Monkey Fists. :stupid:

I'll go back an edit my other post...

ghostrider said:
What throws me off is that where the ends go into the ball one axis overlaps the other, and then is overlaped by the same axis? Don't usually see that on a MF AFIK. I'm still a novice myself.
:grinster: That may be because of the way I tied the knot. :D I used one of the ends from the bowsun to tie a Turks Head. :) Using the other end from the bowsun I backtracked the path of the first end through the knot, doubling it. A little tightening, cutting, and tucking in the remaining ends yields what is shown in that pic.

I guess tightening the Turk's Head around a round core is what makes it round like that. :grin2:

Now I have to learn how to properly make a Monkey Fist lanyard. :laughing:

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
Where can I learn about tying up some of these knots and lanyards and buying some of the beads and skulls shown in these pictures. This stuff is pretty neat!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.