"Introducing "Draco" [Accepting Deposit].

Status
Not open for further replies.

aosty

Enlightened
Re: Introducing "Draco"

#30 - TiCN / no turbo / SxxH / debating CC or uPIC

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lynxis said:
Modamag...
could you clarify...
I'm on the list for #131 ... does that mean I can have the more affordable
Aluminum version or does the #131 imply "which metal" ???

You can shift me to another number for the Aluminium if need be!
I noticed #72 dropping out // I could live with #72
You can request anything you want. I will try to fit everyone in with there desires in the order they posted. Please post your prefereces.

I'll make a whole new group of lists after I get more confirmations. :)

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

DFiorentino said:
What's our rough timetable for payment? That may make my confirmation for my second Al unit change.

:wave:

:)
-DF

Barefootone

Enlightened

:awman: Sorry I must bowout of # 108 Ti, but this is not a good time for me :broke: . Thanks Modamag and CroMAGnet for all your hard work. I wish you the best of luck with the Draco project.

Barefootone

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

JimH said:
1st choice TiN with turbo. 2nd choice/2Nd light Aluminum with turbo. Both high/low only no flupic.
In my haste, I forgot to include my list numbers.

#55 and Backup - #13

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I think I'm going to have to drop out. If there were only going to be 100 of each material made, requesting #149 doesn't make much sense if production is truly serialized...

EDIT : Disregard the above. I'm sticking with it unless it's already too late. I see I'm still on the list.

#149 in aluminum, with "stock equipment."

Question: Will cell(s) and charger be supplied? If not, anyone got a source?

Last edited:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too must give up my slots #16 and #126. I simply do not have the funds available right now.:thumbsdow

Unforseen medical expenses will have me running lean for a couple of months.
I hope this does not cause any problems.

Great looking light. Good luck on this project Modamag!

Lynxis

Newly Enlightened

russtang said:
I too must give up my slots #16 and #126. I simply do not have the funds available right now.:thumbsdow

Unforseen medical expenses will have me running lean for a couple of months.
I hope this does not cause any problems.

Great looking light. Good luck on this project Modamag!

I would like to take Serial #16 versus 131 which I now have!
Could you do that please!

thanks!

frisco

Enlightened

Alright.... Please don't throw rocks at me! Could someone please explain to me the output options.... I am really new to this modded LED terminology.... Mostly a retail buyer.

Basic 3rd grade (maybe 6th grade) English would be appreciated.

I really have no feel on how bright these options are?

-I know how bright the following lights are:

ARC P aaa
Fenix LOP
Fenix L1P
Fenix P1
SF E2E
SF L2

Where does the Draco reside? (Modamag, no disrespect meant!)

Is there an option to get the brightest output with multi stage? Or is the brightest option single stage?

Will the Turbo head just increase throw?

Sorry to bring the dialog level so low here !!!

frisco

Shaocaholica

Enlightened

frisco said:

ARC P aaa
Fenix LOP
Fenix L1P
Fenix P1
SF E2E
SF L2

Where does the Draco reside?
frisco
Without the turbo, it should be like the L0P. Maybe a bit brighter with an S-bin LuxI.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

frisco said:
Alright.... Please don't throw rocks at me! Could someone please explain to me the output options.... I am really new to this modded LED terminology.... Mostly a retail buyer.

Basic 3rd grade (maybe 6th grade) English would be appreciated.

I really have no feel on how bright these options are?

ARC P aaa
Fenix LOP
Fenix L1P
Fenix P1
SF E2E
SF L2

Where does the Draco reside? (Modamag, no disrespect meant!)

Is there an option to get the brightest output with multi stage? Or is the brightest option single stage?

Will the Turbo head just increase throw?

Sorry to bring the dialog level so low here !!!

frisco
Here's my quick take on the questions you raise, which is probably less than yours. eheh

Start with a battery 3.7v ish
Add LED
Drive it at 300mA

You get a brightness of L0P

I think the Draco will be about 400mA (FluPic 800mA on burst)

So it's brighter than the L0p which is pretty bright. BUT The DRACO is way smaller.

Then

Improve the crappy reflector with one of the best ones we have on CPF from our own McGizmo and you get a better beam that has less loss due to better surface area as well as more focused shape to columinate more photons in a controlled direction for better illumination or farther.

Now you are a lot better than the L0P... Maybe brighter and better focus than the infamous NANO... and still way smaller. And we haven't even brought up the Turbo Head. yet.

Then you get into LED's LUX I or LUX III.... hmmm depends on the choice of converter here. I can hardly wait to see them all side by side to find out. 800mA on burst would make better use of the LUX III Ubin and would probably end up crushing the aformentioned lights in brightness and focus ie Lumens and LUX. And still way smaller... remember that picture I took of it hiding behind an Arc AAA.

I bet the Sbin with 400ish mA will best the L0P and the NANO but I doubt it will be as bright as the L1P. It would be awesome if we could get it to L1P output level. :shrug: maybe...

I also think the FluPIC on burst using the AAA extender tube will rawk the most!!

Now add the larger Turbo Head... sheesh. It will focus more photons onto a focused point for higher LUX. So you can light up things farther away. And STILL way smaller than the others.

I;m guessing it will be about the size of the Streamlight Nanomate but WAY more powerful.

PS We are also looking at another primary alkaline battery that may work with the DRACO. I have one and it fits perfect. So we'll see.

Lots of exciting things coming in the next few weeks! ModaMag, Jonathan has a real sweet light developing here. It's definately going to have a home on my keychain as an EDC Every Dude Carry :D

{please correct me on all my stab at the question with all the assumptions :) }

idleprocess

Flashaholic

By designating the flux (brightness) bin of the LED and the drive currents, you're getting a known entity. Assume that you lose 35% of the lumens due to reflector losses, lens losses, and the Lumileds "fudge factor" (maintaining 25C to the die is essentially impossible without a heatsink far larger than a flashlight). Ideally, the Draco should put out more light than the Fenixes, although only an integrating sphere test of both would settle the issue.

The turbo head should increase throw due to the greater reflector surface area. Bigger reflectors can result in tighter hotspots or larger hotspots, depending on the design.

Shaocaholica

Enlightened

You have to remember that AW said the 10280 will drive a Lux-I at spec and not much more. Not all Li-ion have the same output capacity, especially the little ones. It's pretty much given that the 10280 cannot drive a Lux-III at spec let alone at 800mA. My guess is that the 10280 will be able to output at best 1.5W of power so you'll either be over driving a Lux-I or under driving a Lux-III. From this chart, you can see that a over driven S-bin Lux I in the 1.5W range is brighter than an under driven U-bin Lux-III.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shaocaholica said:
You have to remember that AW said the 10280 will drive a Lux-I at spec and not much more. Not all Li-ion have the same output capacity, especially the little ones. It's pretty much given that the 10280 cannot drive a Lux-III at spec let alone at 800mA. My guess is that the 10280 will be able to output at best 1.5W of power so you'll either be over driving a Lux-I or under driving a Lux-III. From this chart, you can see that a over driven S-bin Lux I in the 1.5W range is brighter than an under driven U-bin Lux-III.
Yes exactly. Well put, I agree. The AAA tube will drive the UXOJ on 800mA burst quite well don't you think? :)

Or LUX I with alkaline primary on the two-stage but better than the L0P

Last edited:

Shaocaholica

Enlightened

CroMAGnet said:
Yes exactly. Well put, I agree. The AAA tube will drive the UXOJ on 800mA burst quite well don't you think? :)

Or LUX I with alkaline primary on the two-stage but better than the L0P
Hmmm. I don't know if 1xAAA NiMH can drive a Lux-III at spec. If a AAA cell can output 2A, then thats 2.4W at 100% efficiency. I say the most you can hope for is 2W to the Lux using NiMH AAA. Oh and even if you could get 3W output, even the AAA size will get hot in a hurry.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

AAA LiON for 3w
AAA primary for 1w

But I just bought a L0P clone today that has a 1w but can use primary or LiON AAA

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

1/2W for alkaline AAA.. 1.1W is about the max for NiMH AAA and 1.7W for LiON AAA. (that's roughly the max spec for the different chemistries). Push them any harder and you'll get greatly reduced MAH.

-awr

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

CroMAGnet said:
But I just bought a L0P clone today that has a 1w but can use primary or LiON AAA
Did you order the [Ultrafire-AAA] eBay one for $19.90 +(10.ship)??

-I did also.....

pcmike

Enlightened

CroMAGnet,

Are we allowed to just "swipe" lower serial numbers as they become available or are you going to "redistribute" them to those already on the list first?

:thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.