Otterbox vs. Pelican Cases

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For smaller sized cases, I think I like the newer Otter boxes a little better. But 1150 size and up, I think Pelican wins out. :)

kf4zht

Newly Enlightened
My vote is for pelican. I worked as a whitewater guide/rescue person for 2 summers. Our first aid kits were pelican cases, and the only time they failed was user error. (typically leaving the pressure screw out, which is no longer a problem, or having a bandage or something inbetween the seal)

We used them for everything, we would even tie to the handles, and put them in the split of a tree or rock crevase as an anchor. A few times we used them as emergancy hammers.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
AwesomeCase.jpg

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
StainlessSteel, where did you get the foam inserts for the pelican cases? that is exactly what i have been looking for but can't find a setup like that except at batterystation, which sells is with additional batteries that i dont need.

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
I have an otterbox cigar caddy and it is the toughest little s.o.b. i've ever owned. I can stand on it, run my car over it, and toss it in the lake and it doesn't even flinch.

N2

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chucula said:
StainlessSteel, where did you get the foam inserts for the pelican cases? that is exactly what i have been looking for but can't find a setup like that except at batterystation, which sells is with additional batteries that i dont need.

Not to steel Stainless' thunder, but you can find those inserts at Lighthound.com .

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Chucula said:
StainlessSteel, where did you get the foam inserts for the pelican cases?

I didnt have to buy the foam seperately... it came with the case. I bought 2 of these cases specifically for batteries, from botach.

http://www.botac.com/pebastca.html

MANY people have problems with that place, but I have been lucky. Order at your own risk.

*Please note*... the foam for sale from lighthound, for the 1020 case, is pick and pluck foam, it is NOT pre-cut specifically for 123a batteries. The foam for the 1010 case, IS specifically for 123a batteries. The 1020 case will hold 24 batteries, the 1010 will hold 15.

I HATE pick and pluck foam, as additional cubes of foam will start to tear away with use. I have seen this happen in MANY gun cases.

I really like my precut closed cell foam. it was worth it.

kf4zht

Newly Enlightened
StainlessSteel said:
I HATE pick and pluck foam, as additional cubes of foam will start to tear away with use. I have seen this happen in MANY gun cases.

I have seen this happen before also. I was about to start setting up a couple fo new cases I got, and started wondering if there is any glue/coating that could be brushed on after you got the sections removed.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
kf4zht said:
I have seen this happen before also. I was about to start setting up a couple fo new cases I got, and started wondering if there is any glue/coating that could be brushed on after you got the sections removed.

3M Super 77, It's hard to work with but does the job.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I have both some Pelican and Otter Box cases. My favorites by far are the StormCase boxes - I even have a couple of the larger sizes to use as luggage! cases4less has been a great source for me also (they sell many brands). It's nice to not have to worry about a little rain dampening gear.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I picked up a Pelican 1030 tonight. Believe it or not, I found it at our County Fair (Porter Co., IN). There was a flashlight wholesaler on site who was selling mostly streamlight and inova, but also had a fair selection of Pelican cases. no foam though...

Latest posts