>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<<<

Sweet. I made an adaptor for my 2D cell to be able to run on 3 CR123s' which would be equivalent to 6 D cells roughly. I'll definetly be picking up one of these...

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<

@Mr. Urahara agreed. I'd rather get a 3D and get one of those AA to D adaptors, should get even more runtimes, 9 AA's!!! Alkaline AA's are pretty cheap nowadays.. Or even Lithium D"s, are those available yet?

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<<<

I just went to the Terralux website (http://www.terralux.biz/index.html), and it looks like they are replacing all their recent K2 drop-ins (TLE-6K2 MaxStar5, TLE-5K2 MiniStar2, and TLE-100K2 MaxCharger5) with upgraded Cree versions.

These new versions are called the: TLE-6EX MiniStar5 Extreme, TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme, and TLE-100EX MiniStar10.

It looks like the website and PDF data sheets are not all updated yet, but from the looks of it these new drop-ins will produce between 140-200 lumens depending on the model. Very cool.

Also, it appears there will be two versions of the TLE-6EX MiniStar5 Extreme, a TLE-6EXA for 3-6 cell lights, and a TLE-6EXB for 2-3 cell lights.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<

i figure i should post this here as well

my maxstar arrived and before i mod it with seoul i figure i give a before and after with my current seoul maxstar and new stock maxstar k2

i figured out my 1.3 webcam has some options and i learned it can show different levels of exposure :) which i didnt have before in my other pics couple weeks ago

note : since the mag w/seoul has had some use the batteries are not as fresh as the mag with stock maxstar so i tested current and the seoul draws 380ma and k2 draws 450ma

seoul is always on left

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

^^^notice how much more lit the brown wall "in last pic above" at the bottom here is

---------------------------------------------------------
copy & save each pic and slideshow to see difference,

Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened

So how long before we get a similar P4 upgrade for the mini-mag? :laughing:

gip: are those beam shots with the stock mag reflector?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes its the stock reflector & lense running duracell , but from the batteryshootout thread i will switch to rayovac max plus soon :)

BMRSEB

Enlightened

MattK said:
If you're gonne buy new I'd go with a 4 C/D - tons of output, tons of throw, insane runtime.
I thought I read somewhere (correct me anyone?), that you can reverse the spring in the tailcap and use 4C's in a 3D Mag?? If so, that would be great as HomeDepot has a special combo, 3D Mag w/a 2AA MiniMag for $19! :)

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup - you need to reverse the spring taking out the foam/spare incan bulb first) and the top cell need to be 'enlarged with tape/paper to make the positive button hit the right contact in the light.

ikelo

Newly Enlightened

i think i know what my 15 dollar paypal rebate purchase will be now!

any clue as to what kind of runtime one could get with this in a mag2c w/ 3 cr123's?

thanks.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened

@ ikelo: Well, when you see MattK runtime graph on a 4D Mag with 20 Hours of 100%, considering a duracell coppertop D sized Primarie :thinking: well i'm really not sure but think to have read it is something like15.000 or even 20.000mAh( please correct me if i'm talking nonsense) and a common cr123 like 1300-1600. so this would be 60.000-80.000mAh compared to 3.900-4.800mAh right? ( Well if I'm REALLY talking crap, slap me. It's now 3.26 AM in Germany and I'm kind of drunk:buddies:) so in best case capacity is 1.6 Hours?????:huh2:

I really don't know if my mathe is right here, but make the same for 6AA to 2D converter: say you use recharg. 2500mAh's: will be like 15000mAh right?
In best Case: 5 HOURS! of full bright output!
I know this is only a guess ( and maybe a really bad and wrong on:ohgeez:),
but first example sounds reasonable to me when thinking a P1D-CE will run 45 min. on Max with one cr123...

Could anyone with better battery and current knowledge post somethin reasonable?:anyone:

Thx Mr. Urahara:drunk:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

ikelo - it's impossible to calculate because of the regulation but I think 5-6 hours is about right as well.

Mr. Urahara - you need to factor in the voltage as all.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened

@MattK: I Knew i was messing things up :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

Folks! Don't write something when you're drunk :lolsign:

Maybe thinking about it tomorrow:whistle:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a rough estimate of runtime, try this:

The flashlight consumes approximately 3.0 Watts from the batteries (when operating at 6V or higher.)

So all you have to do is multiply the A*h of the cell times the nominal voltage of the batteries, and you have the number of W*h the cell can supply. Add the W*h's together, regardless of whether they are in series or parallel.

Now that that total W*h value, and divide it by 3W, and you get approximately the number of hours the flashlight will run.

From Energizer's specs, here are the A*h for different batteries:

D 20.50 A*h (30.75 W*h per cell) [Alkaline 1.5V]
C 8.35 A*h (15.52 W*h per cell) [Alkaline 1.5V]
AA 2.85 A*h (4.28 W*h per cell) [Alkaline 1.5V]
AAA 1.25 A*h (1.88 W*h per cell) [Alkaline 1.5V]
CR123 1.50 A*h (4.50 W*h per cell) [Lithium 3.0V]
CR2 0.80 A*h (2.40 W*h per cell) [Lithium 3.0V]

Example: A 6D flashlight running the TLE-6E should run (30.75*6)/3.0 = 61.5 hours!

Last edited:

ikelo

Newly Enlightened

thanks for your help guys, i'm looking forward to getting one of these:rock:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

just playing around my new found exposure options on this cheapy webcam :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow, nice collage qip! :)

I feel sorry for all those little flashlights that became prop rods :laughing:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

i was doing the little guys as well and i just made them more useful :grin2:

soon gonna make the newly aquired tle-5 a seoul version in this pic

anyway the colors here look real bad in the middle exposure, but in actual eye sight there not that bad, but there is some noticeable tint difference.....i never ran these minimags more than 4-5 minutes straight before simply cuz i usually play with the 3d so the mini's are just a back up for me or if i dont wanna carry something big when going outside to the garage ....in here i ran them 10 minutes while i was playing with camera settings and noticed the mini-xtreme w/seoul did get warm and shifted bluish and dimmed down a bit but stayed just as bright as tle-5w/seoul meanwhile the other 2 stayed fine just as bright and normal as start-up and didnt get warm "less current obviously"

so i turned off the mini-xtreme let it cool for a minute then turn it back on and it was fine until it warmed up again, dont let this scare you cuz when this thing is used for few minutes at a time it is really bright ,for longer straight runs i would recommend the tle-5/wseoul as it is bright and doesnt suffer the heat like xtreme

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

EngrPaul said:
For a rough estimate of runtime, try this:

The flashlight consumes approximately 3.0 Watts from the batteries (when operating at 6V or higher.)

So all you have to do is multiply the A*h of the cell times the nominal voltage of the batteries, and you have the number of W*h the cell can supply. Add the W*h's together, regardless of whether they are in series or parallel.

<snip>

Example: A 6D flashlight running the TLE-6E should run (30.75*6)/3.0 = 61.5 hours!
I know you already know this EngrPaul, but for others browsing the thread another thing worth keeping in mind is the effect of internal resistance -- which increases as batteries are discharged. This means some of that power will be wasted. Also, as the batteries run down, they won't be able to deliver as much current either as this resistance increases throughout the runtime, this is why lights that direct drive off of alkaline see a sharp dropoff in intensity. For D-sized alkalines this won't be as much of an issue, but it will for lights running AAA or AA.

A CR123, even though it has less watt-hours than a AA, will be able to deliver more of that energy to the light becuase of lower internal resistance -- this is why direct drive lithium lights have "flatter" intensity vs runtime graphs.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

2XTrinity,

Good points.

Another thing to keep in mind with a constant power regulator: To keep the light level constant, it takes constant wattage. To get constant wattage from batteries, you need to pull more current out of them as their voltage decays. As the current goes up, the more of a voltage drop inside the battery.

My numbers were just estimates... you can't replace actual runtime data with a quick calculation.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Thank you, MattK !

You have delivered JUST what we've been waiting for.

Glad to see that all of our whining, er uhm, i mean . . . .

Glad to see that TerraLux (and you) have been listening to us. :whistle:

:goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts