>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Thank you.

Wow, this thing is gonna be fun. I can run it off of all kinds of battery combinations.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Some Updates:

For anyone whose TLE-6EX order has not yet shipped the bulk of our order is landing this coming Monday from TerraLUX so by Tuesday all orders that have not yet shipped will be shipped - as usual we will send a shipping confirmation.

As many have of you asked about it; I'll have final specs on the TLE-5EX, the SSC P4 drop-in for the AA MiniMags shortly and will start a new thread - availability is looking like first week of April. Pre-sale will begin as soon as we have a firmer availability date. I have a prototype in hand and it's very impressive - considerably brighter than even the TLE-5K2.

The TLE-100EX's,for the MagChargers are scheduled to be here 3/26 and we should have enough to fill all orders by 3/27.

The TLE-6EXB version for 2 cell Mag's is still a ways out - figure 75+ days.

Thank you all for your support and your great orders!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

simple perfect heatsink , 2 washers metal to metal contact i didnt use any thermal adhesive as when the head tightens down it holds everything in place,even with head off the pill holds it in place snug as well

just one washer in my case i had to grind the hole a bit bigger for it to sit completely flush and clear the hump on the 5ex " as seen in top right of pic "

before washers it dimmed down by 10 minutes or less ,this time with washers i ran it for 30 minutes straight and it was bright as it started and heat was definitely transfered as i feel the body of the light get warm ,probably coulda ran it till the batteries died but i didnt feel like waiting

for those who dont have a 5k2 you will notice it does not sit flush by design so it leaves a gap for a breather "as seen in bottom left of pic " perfect space for a couple of washers

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

Hi MattK:

:paypal: for 2 units, please check your email for details.

Thanks

pilou

Enlightened

qip said:
simple perfect heatsink , 2 washers metal to metal contact

qip, did you do this for the minimag with the regular Terralux upgrade?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is only needed for the tle-5k2 with or without seoul ....the tle5 if what your refering to , i didnt need a washer as it doesnt overheat like the extreme, but you can add a washer if preffered

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened

qip said:
i think five mega needs a second run of stock hole size cam reflectors :grin2: the demand is certainly there

i was looking at someway of giving my stock mag reflector a litte bit of texture and i found this thread here. It may be of interest to you guys.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

XtreMe_G said:
i was looking at someway of giving my stock mag reflector a litte bit of texture and i found this thread here. It may be of interest to you guys.

Very interesting XtreMe_G, and possibly combined with covering the front half of the reflector with newspaper while painting (to keep it smooth) might give a result similar to FM's new 3" reflectors, which apparently smooth out the beam, while still keeping excellent throw capability. Thanks for the link. :)

tibim

Newly Enlightened

I realized the potential for the Maglite + LED to be a great & useful light with an upgraded reflector, so I made my own:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154947

No waiting for someone to come out with one, and cheaper to boot.

I really like this light now.

I have been heavily considering upgrading to the terralux module but I am pretty happy with just the magled module in there... We will see :D

-tibim

moontroll

Newly Enlightened

I dont have one yet but I think it will blow the L2P away,its probably more comparable to the L2d on turbo.Hey fellows lets see some one compare the two.
MarkKLC said:
Newbie here! Does anyone know whether this is actually brighter than the L2P?

Cydonia

Enlightened

Yeah... where are all the beam shot comparisons? When will there be a in depth review of these new TerraLux modules?

Anyway, the genius of drop in modules is that the host light "shell" can be discarded and replaced for a few dollars if it breaks, gets too beat up, or the batteries leak. That's why I've become a drop in addict. Batteryjunction is my new dealer :laughing:

xiaowenzu

Banned

Cydonia said:
Yeah... where are all the beam shot comparisons? When will there be a in depth review of these new TerraLux modules?

Apparently, in a few more days as the first batch of TerraLux TLE-6EX modules arrive in our hot little hands. hehe:drool:I personally am anxious to find out how these new LEDs compare with my 6D Magnum-star Xenon lamp (the best incandescent made for Maglites) There are 3 questions I need answered:

1. Beamshape... will it throw further than my current setup? [My Xenon Lamp lights up objects @ 240 feet easily] At indoors, it has tight beam with excellent useable spill. Btw my Mag is 'locked' at this focus.. never need adjusting. ;)

2. Will it have better color rendition of objects? I know that many Leds will have greenish/blue tint and therefore make objects in the dark look 'artificial'.

3. Finally, actually how bright is it compared to my incandescent? Lumen means nothing when you can't compare them side by side... will it light up the room like my Mag6D does right now? Only my eyes can tell.

I await....

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened

xiaowenzu said:
hehe:drool:I personally am anxious to find out how these new LEDs compare with my 6D Magnum-star Xenon lamp

i doubt these LEDs will outdo your 6D magnum star xenon, mag rates these bulbs at 200 plus lumens. link

Cydonia

Enlightened

That M*g link you gave is interesting. It says that the stock "White Star Krypton" bulb lasts 9-10 hours continuous battery life.

And the better Magnum Star - which are far brighter - last 10-11 hours continuous battery life. Wow. Brighter and longer lasting! How do they manage that? :laughing:

SEMIJim

Enlightened

EngrPaul said:
Here's what full flood looks like with fivemega's HS reflector.
Now that is what I'd call a usable flood out of a Mag. Whence does one obtain these fivemega reflectors, Paul?

Oh, and how'd you like to do some side-by-side beamshots with the fivemega and standard reflectors, using the same lights/emitters with each, on tightest focus? :D

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened

PAB said:
But they will last a LOT longer before you need to change the batteries.

yea, on a 6D mag......hundreds of years from now they'll be excavating xiao's mag and it still works :p

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened

finally, my first attempt at some beamshots:

These were shot indoors in the daytime. These are the TLE-6K2 VS. the TLE 6EX on a 6D MAG with not-so-fresh-alkys

DSC01988.JPG

DSC01990.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.