M2 Reflector-Proper use?

willrx

Enlightened
I have an easy one for you. Bought a couple of camless M2 reflectors from fellow CPF member and didn't realize you have to do something to lower the bulb in the reflector. Need switch mod advise. Thanks.

litho123

Enlightened
There are 2 ways to achieve focus.
1 - Use focus shims. This is pretty much trial and error until you have one fixed, unchanging focus. If you want to change it, you have to disassemble add/remove shims and reassemble. Some folks like this "set-n-forget" focus.

Others want to constantly tinker with the focus. I would suggest the following...
2 - mod the bulb pedestal.

I unscrewed the brass roller from the channel it moves in, removed the guts of the bulb holder, (it would be best to clean and solder these parts together to remove most of the resistance in this area - as we now know).
I then drilled a hole next to the channel, enlarging it until the brass roller fit inside of it. Then I reassembled everything back together inserting the roller into the drilled out hole. The roller is now trapped, no more spring-loaded movement. I then screwed on the head and now have variable focus again ... like a minimaglite.

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?...pedestal3zq.jpg

Hope this helps.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picture is not showing up in IE7 or Firefox 2.0.0.3 and trying to get a linking code for your image results in this message: ImageShack was unable to render this page correctly.

I found #2 to be very easy. I place a short piece of wood in the focus roller groove and then keep shortening it until I get the tightest focus with the head of the flashlight unscrewed from the body by 2 full turns. drilling the new hole is simple once you know how far down the pedestal the roller needs to be for your particular reflector setup.

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I did.

cammedlock9av.jpg

Latest posts