Fenix P2Dce Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again due to the kindness of 4sevens of http://Fenix-Store.com I have a Fenix P2Dce to review -

Packaging -
P2DcePck.jpg

In the box -
P2DceAcc.jpg

the poly bag contains the lanyard and 2 spare O-rings.

Size -
P2DceSz.jpg

Heads -
P2DceHds.jpg

BUT the most appealing feature to me is this "system" pic -
P2DceSys.jpg

...you may ask isn't the CR123A much fatter than a common AA battery - so how has Fenix managed to make a CR123A body to fit the L1/2Dce head which are AA lights?

Remember that the L1/2Dce head is quite a bit wider than the L1/2T head?
That allows the accomodation of the wider CR123 size.

These photos may help explain things -
P2Dce_L1DceTubeHd.jpg
P2Dce_L1DceTubeTail.jpg

at the head end - the P2D body tube shows quite a bit thinner than that for the L1/2D.

At the tail end - the P2D body tube is substantially thinner than the head end, as well as the L1/2D or the L1/2T.

{EDIT to ADD - CORRECTION:
I was told by 4sevens that the P2D body is NOT backwards compatible with the tailcaps from the L1/2T (or L1/2D)-
the tailcaps from the L1/2T, and L1/2D do not work with this P2D -
however the tailcap from the P2D does fit and work on the L1/2T, and L1/2D the P2D tailcap is a bit loose on the "L" bodies -
and the L1/2T tailcaps do fit and work on the L1/2D.....}

So now that I've calmed myself down.....
How does the P2Dce perform? (I don't think there are any surprises)

vs. Fenix P1D-CE both on Primary CR123A and Turbo/Highest brightness
P2Dce_P1Dce.jpg
P2Dce_P1Dce2U.jpg

not surprisingly they are about the same brightness - the P1Dce does show its dark halo a bit more than the P2Dce

vs. Fenix L2D-CE (NiMH) both Turbo -
P2Dce_L2Dce.jpg
P2Dce_L2Dce2U.jpg

again similar brightness -
but look at the tint variation between the 2 -
pretty wide difference -
personally I prefer the more yellow tint of this P2Dce over the apparently more white/cool L2Dce
(note: this is another L2Dce on loan {different from the linked review sample} courtesy of 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com) for this review)

vs. Fenix L1D-CE (NiMH) both Turbo
P2Dce_L1Dce.jpg
P2Dce_L1Dce2U.jpg

again no surprises the P2Dce with a 3.0V Lithium CR123A is brighter than the Fenix L1D-CE on a single NiMH AA......

How about a good 3watt Luxeon III?

vs. Fenix L2T (NiHM) on highest brightness
P2Dce_L2T.jpg
P2Dce_L2T2U.jpg

The Fenix L2Dce performed as well as can be expected - there were no surpises - other than the rather wide tint variation between this P2Dce and the L2Dce loaned for this review.

It's obviously nice to have the clicky tail-switch - which makes switching modes very easy - for a trade-off of being slightly longer than the P1Dce.

But for me the most exciting thing is that the head is the same as the L1/2Dce so the head will fit on the L1D, L2D and now the P2D bodies - a single head can be run on 1x, 2xAA and CR123 sized batteries - now that's versatile.......

Part 2 - 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 - Post #20
Current Draw readings - Post #31

Last edited:

supes

Enlightened
Again, Excellent review, UnknownVT! I cannot freakin wait for my P2D , this had been the light I've been waiting for a while. 1X CR123a light that I can EDC is the way to go for me.

I know you just got the lights but I will be patiently waiting for the test with a 3.7 protected RCR123 cell. Go give yourself a break and something to eat first. :D

I'm a little skeptical of the thinner bodies though, wonder if it will affect the overall sturdiness of the light?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
supes wrote: "I know you just got the lights but I will be patiently waiting for the test with a 3.7 protected RCR123 cell. Go give yourself a break and something to eat first. :D "

Thanks, I was just about to... :ohgeez:

As with my review threads I'll be adding further tests/comparisons -
3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 is definitely on the agenda - thanks for your patience.

supes wrote: "I'm a little skeptical of the thinner bodies though, wonder if it will affect the overall sturdiness of the light?"

I think it's really only thin at the threaded tailcap end -
which means it spends most of its time covered/shielded by the tailcap - this may mean combined it could be stronger than the equivalent thickness of solid aluminum?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to being able to buy just the P2D body. I'm sure there's a lot of LxD owners out there who want this...

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
I'm looking forward to being able to buy just the P2D body. I'm sure there's a lot of LxD owners out there who want this...
Edit..
Fenix-Store says the new P2D body will come with a tailcap and will be <20 dollar range.

Last edited:

laur

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT

Can you tell me if the P2D-CE body and tailcap will fit my P1D-CE?? I would like to purchase the body and tailcap ONLY if it will fit my P1D-CE head.

Thanks
laur

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
laur said:
UnknownVT

Can you tell me if the P2D-CE body and tailcap will fit my P1D-CE?? I would like to purchase the body and tailcap ONLY if it will fit my P1D-CE head.

Thanks
laur
No, the P2D-CE body and tailcap that Fenix-Store will have later on doesn't fit the P1D-CE. It fits the L1D-CE and L2D-CE.

You can look into getting a Leef body for the P1D-CE at Lighthound.com

daveman

Enlightened
Very educational beamshots. Does any know how pronounced the "click" is on the clicky? I understand there is definitely a feedback from the finger, but how audible is that "click" noise when the button is depressed? I'm hoping it's on the quiet side.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
kurni said:
That was quick; many thanks.

I'm really curious about how thin P2D body at the O-ring groove.

A good question - the O-ring doesn't sit in a groove per se, but instead rests at about the same level as the threads with a raised area on either side to hold it in place. It has the body center area on one side and a small ridge/shelf on the other side to hold it in place. This shelf on the tailcap side is what keeps the L1/2D tailcaps from fitting. The P2D tailcap has to be a little wider to fit over this shelf and cover the O-ring. The end result is that there is no deep groove for the o-ring which could compromise the structural integrity of the tube and the P2D body (only) has to include the tailcap for existing L1/2D owners to upgrade.

Also, my L2D head also has a slightly more yellowish tint compared to the P2D head I received.

Last edited:

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
Will 4sevens make a CR2 body for this light? My favorite EDC light currently is an L2P with a CR2 body and three tritium vials. I sure would like a CR2 body for my new Fenix P2Dce!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
supes wrote: "I will be patiently waiting for the test with a 3.7 protected RCR123 cell."

Part 2 - 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123

vs. Fenix P1D-CE on Primary CR123A Highest brightness - Control Reference
RP2Dce_P1Dce.jpg
RP2Dce_P1Dce2U.jpg

brightness looks about the same....

Not fair? what about the P1Dce also on 3.7V RCR123?

vs. Fenix P1D-CE both on 3.7V RCR123 - both Turbo/Highest brightness -
RP2Dce_P1DceR.jpg
RP2Dce_P1DceR2U.jpg

again looks about the same level of brightness.

Just out of interest -

vs. Fenix L2D-CE NiMH, both Turbo
RP2Dce_L2DceN.jpg
RP2Dce_L2DceN2U.jpg

similar brightness - again the notice the wide tint variation.

As expected when using 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 - the P2Dce is about the same level of (highest/turbo) brightness at all level settings (perhaps it goes just perceptibly slightly brighter when switching from the general to the Turbo mode? or it could be the momentary "flash" when switching on or beteween the twist modes?) -
just as before in the Fenix L1D-CE review the strobe and SOS modes do work the same as on primary batteries.