• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired announcing the GOTHAM by Leef and Milky

Leef

Enlightened
It is with great excitement and no small amount of relief that Leef and Milkyspit announce the Gotham.

We've been collaborating on this project for...oh...about 300 years now. Or so it seems. Finally, here it is! My hat's off to anyone who sets out to create a work of art from scratch.

But now, adolessly, here's the official press release for the Gotham, as seen on API, UPI and Reuters (yep -- right there along with the sightings of three-headed Elvises from Mars...)

===================================

The Gotham

Concept and Body by Leef, Electronics by Milky

gothamcityoa3.jpg

The Gotham is the result of collaboration between Leef (Lee), who conceived it, designed the prototype and managed the project; and Milkyspit (Scott), who designed and assembled the electronics and provided innumerable good ideas as the project emerged.

The Gotham offers state of the art output combined with excellent run time, resulting from its highly efficient electronics. Additionally, it features a good throw/spill mix. It's optimized for the 18650 rechargeable LiIon battery, a good compromise between power, runtime and size. It also runs well on 2xCR123 primaries. The Gotham is small enough for every day carrying, yet powerful enough for service belt carrying.

The Gotham's "headless" design makes it simple, securely sealed and very rugged. In addition to the ipx7 test (see below), a running prototype was dropped onto a concrete floor head first, tail first, and flat, starting at one foot and going up to seven feet, in one foot intervals (Kids, don't try this at home...). After the 20th drop (seven feet), the light ceased to function. It was disassembled and the battery was found to be damaged and the lens was shattered. A new battery was inserted and the light ran fine.

As the design evolved, the similarity of the body pattern to the crown of the Chrysler Building in New York City suggested "Gotham," and the unique place in modern, influential architecture that edifice embodies captured the spirit of our light. The design came largely from the artistic creativity of John Buerfeind, the man at the CNC shop with whom I work on such things. In addition to being a fine machinist, he's quite an artist, and the result shows -- the Gotham is a work of art, but one that is rugged enough for hard use.

Gothams are hand made works of art and, as such, will have tiny, light to light variations typical of any handmade works of art. None of these affects the Gotham's function.

scgothamaaeblingja4.jpg

scgothamaaiblingnd2.jpg

scgothamaadblingrotatiouh0.jpg

gbezelxq8.jpg

Specifications:

1) 1" diameter x 5.4" long (3/4" shorter than the SF U2).
2) Body and tailcap made from 7075-T6 alloy, which is 83% stronger and 45% harder than the 6061-T6 alloy typically used in high end flashlights. The finish is electroless nickel.
3) Bezel made from 6AL-4V titanium, alloyed with aluminum and vanadium for greater strength and hardness.
4) Powered by 1x18650 battery or two CR123 primary cells.
5) Seoul Semiconductor P4, USWOH emitter, hand chosen for output.
6) Highly efficient micro controller based circuit (on-board computer) derived from the Milky Candle MC2 project. Average efficiency exceeds 90% with 18650 battery.
7) 20mm IMS polished reflector.
8) Anti-reflection coated lens.
9) Two selectable user interfaces, each with four output levels. The high level is around 180 lumens, significantly brighter than SF's U2.
10) Run time at maximum output: 1 hr. 40 min. in flat regulation (18650) and 80 min. (2xCR123). See graphs below.
11) Water resistance: prototype met ipx7 standard (immersion at one meter for 30 min.)
12) The light will tail stand and the tailcap has a switch easily removable for replacement (the McClicky reliable tactical switch).
13) Supplies with two CR123 batteries.
14) Sold in a rugged, waterproof Otter hard case with lanyard and spare o-rings.

gclosedboxti8.jpg

gopenboxcj4.jpg

Here are run time graphs and beam profile graphs of the Gotham and other common lights of similar size (I can't understand the missing lines -- but see post #26 for a better rendering):

graphnewgr6.jpg

Per Scott's measurements, the drive currents with 18650 are:
Max (a.k.a. High): 900mA
Medium: 270mA
Low: 54mA
Ultralow: 2.3mA

We made a limited run of 100 Gothams consecutively numbered and bearing the Leef and Milky logos. They sell for $325 (I know...how can we do it?) and can be ordered from The Lighthound (www.lighthound.com). They should be on his shelves in about a week (be still, my heart!).

Japanese customers will be able to order directly from: Pro Light Japan, <http://www.pro-light.jp/>. They can be emailed at: < [email protected] >

We sincerely hope that you enjoy our creation. We welcome your input and observations.

Shine on!

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rock:
This one will take some serious consideration. It is a work of art.
I would also love to get info on the UI.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats to both Leef and Milky on this creation.

I too would like to know about the UI. Will there be momentary on the switch?.. I am assuming it is a clicky.

What is the expected output with the driver...100lumens, 80 lumens, etc?

How difficult to update emitter at a later date? (will a rebel work in it... what about a cree or a new release Seoul?)

thanks.

Leef

Enlightened
We'll post here when the lights are shipped to the Hound.

As to UI, it has two selectable UIs. One is a "tactical" UI that always comes on high, no matter what level the light was on when last turned off. The other comes on where it was when last turned off. There are 4 levels. I'll post a graph of the levels, but the high level runs in regulation for almost 110 min. at about 1,800 lbu (my U2 puts out ~150 lbu for 30 min (2xCR123) and about 1,200 lbu for 80 min (1x18650) before dropping. The lowest level should run somewhere near a month (!).

My light box lbu (Light Box Unit) is about equal to .1 lumen, so 1,800 lbu ~180 lumens.

Yes, the switch is a tactical clicky.

As soon as I can figure out how to attach a runtime graph without losing parts of it, I'll do so.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it include the Batman logo head?? :crackup:When I read the title I was really expecting the light to be black, yet awesome job guys:thumbsup:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, thanks for the props! We've been working hard on this little puppy for a loooonnnnng time, and it's great share the results. Woohoo! :D

Here's some more info, photos, random blabbering...

[size=+1]Additional Credit![/size]

Not to leave some folks out, Leef has been working with a terrific CNC machinist on his end who deserves a huge pat on the back on working with Leef to pull off the body design... I've seen this thing for months now, and it continues to amaze. Don't know the guy's name, but if you happen to read this, many thanks! :bow:

Same gent as above contributed to design of the new bezel ring... it's a pattern introduced specifically for the Gotham project (Lighthound also sells those bezel rings individually in both stainless and Ti)... though it was Leef himself who set the tone with the whole 'think different' concept here... and I lobbied for the coin edge to the darned thing! :D

As for the electronics, it's true that the circuitry was purpose-built for the Gotham and derived from my earlier Milky Candle MC2 project... and I came up with the conceptual design for the circuitry plus programmed the firmware myself (and why not? I have a Computer Science degree, for gosh sakes!)... but when it came to the physical design of the board, specific componentry of the circuit, and the layout itself, I went to one of the best: thanks to georges80 for making the humble Acorn board (or so I've named it) come to life! IMHO George is one of the true masters of his craft, hat's off to him. Cheers! :bow:

As for the custom 'Gotham' art deco label applied to the case itself, that would be the work of my wife, the artsy chick who captured my heart. :eek:

[size=+1]Photos[/size]

Business end closeup... the original teaser photo!
img-gotham-001-closeup.jpg

Propped on an interesting rock
img-gotham-001-propped.jpg

The Gotham tailstands! :)
img-gotham-001-standing.jpg

Some photos highlighting the stylized skyscraper pattern, which appears TWICE on the body... one top to bottom , and on the opposite side of the right, same design bottom to top!
img-gotham-001-profile.jpg

img-gotham-001-bling.jpg

img-gotham-001-side.jpg

Closeup on head-end detail
img-gotham-001-head.jpg

This is the new 'Quarry Run Design' (a.k.a. Milkyspit, but without the images of regurgitated fluids!) logo, compliments of my wife... Leef has his, er, leaf, I had to come up with something!
img-gotham-001-quarryrun-logo.jpg

Closeup on switch-end detail, showing the multi-pitch vertical grooving Leef designed into the tail... IMHO complements the light nicely.
img-gotham-001-switch.jpg

Gotham enjoys a nice day outside on the picnic table
img-gotham-001-table.jpg

[size=+1]More Specs[/size]

Gotham is optimized for 1x18650 operation, and under that configuration delivers an average efficiency of 90-95%. This is the cell to use for longest, best-regulated, and most efficient runs... plus it is of course more friendly for the environment... that said, you can also feed the Gotham 2x123 primaries in a pinch... won't run as long or as efficiently, but it also shouldn't hurt anything... so if that's all ya got, go for it!

The light could actually run with pretty much any LiON rechargeable if you've got a suitable spacer... some examples: 17670; 14670; RCR123 plus dummy cell; probably others, too.

Max output delivers roughly 180-200 lumens continuous for nearly 2 hours, with the vast majority of that time within perhaps 10% of peak output.

Medium delivers perhaps 70-80 lumens? (educated guess) for maybe 8-10 hours continuous.

Low output delivers perhaps 10-20 lumens (educated guess) for something along the lines of 1-2 days continuous.

Ultralow output (think Milky Candle but with surprisingly decent throw) delivers perhaps 3 lumens for somewhere along the lines of 1-1.5 months continuous.

According to an informal scratch test by Leef, the nickel plating on Gotham seems to be at LEAST as scratch resistant as his usual hard anodize (which itself is quite good), and possibly is actually a bit MORE scratch resistant.

It has been reported that heatsinking is copper, and that is partially true... we did originally machine copper heatsinks for the lights... but performance tests actually suggested the copper wasn't helping to any significant degree with the heatsinking, and in fact might have been worsening it a bit (my theory here is the copper was getting saturated then holding more heat against the emitter slug, allowing the emitter to stew in its own heat, whereas aluminum was actually holding onto less and moving it more steadily out to the skin of the light)... most of the production lights will incorporate aluminum heatsinks, and believe me, folks, that's the one you probably want. If it matters at all, Leef and I have aluminum heatsinks in our personal lights and have no intention of changing.

For efficiency reasons, the Gotham is NOT equipped with reverse polarity protection... so be careful to insert your cells in the proper direction, people! :eek:oo:

Length: 5-3/8 inches
Diameter: 1 inch (should fit most bicycle and weapon mounts)
Weight Without Battery: 3.1oz (86g)

[size=+1]User Interface(s)[/size]
(c) 2006-2007 Scott W. Clawson and Quarry Run Design, All Rights Reserved

At some point I'll write a more definitive UI guide for Gotham, but for now, here's the condensed version...

Equipment

The Gotham ships with a McClicky tactical clicky switch.

Definitions

TAP: when the light is OFF, use the momentary on capability to turn the light on then off again within half a second.

CLICK: when the light is OFF, click the light on, and leave it on for more than half a second.

General UI (GenUI)

CLICK: light activates at same level where it had been turned off previously.

TAP-CLICK: light activates at the next level from where it had been turned off previously... for example, if the light had been in low, it will activate in medium... the progression is: high; ultralow; low; medium; high; etc.

Additional taps will continue to cycle through ultralow, low, medium, high, ultralow, etc.

Available gestures...

TAP-TAP-CLICK: will ALWAYS cause light to latch into max output... this will happen about 1/2 second after clicking the light on... this is also known as 'SmartMax' capability.

20 TAPS: switches to Tactical UI (TacUI).

Tactical UI (TacUI)

CLICK: light activates at max output, always.

TAP-CLICK: light activates at medium output.

TAP-TAP-CLICK: light activates at low output.

TAP-TAP-TAP-CLICK: light activates at ultralow output.

Additional taps will continue to cycle through high, medium, low, ultralow, high, etc.

Additional gestures...

20 TAPS: switches to General UI (GenUI).

Gestures

A gesture is a multi-tap sequence that performs some sort of special action... the design goal here is to keep these to a minimum, and to make gestures nice-to-have shortcuts but NOT essential to basic operation of the light. Without further ado...

(some of these also appear above)

TAP-TAP-CLICK: will ALWAYS cause light to latch into max output... this will happen about 1/2 second after clicking the light on... this is also known as 'SmartMax' capability. Only available in GenUI, not in TacUI.

20 TAPS: toggles between GenUI and TacUI.

[size=+1]Upgradability[/size]

The light is neither Loktited nor potted to oblivion because one of the design goals was ease of future upgradability. Toward that end, the lens is UCL and identical in size to those of both HDS and Aleph2 lights... the bezel ring itself fits those same lights and is interchangeable with their parts... emitter is epoxied into the heatsink but could easily be snapped out, underlying surface cleaned, and a newer, higher-flux emitter installed down the road (I'll help with it if you wish)... the driver itself is upgradable with new firmware by sending the light on a brief vacation to the Milky Labs.

Reflector is 20mm smooth but should be replaceable with McR20 if you wish... the head wasn't tested in this configuration but the dimensions should be right to accommodate it.

Lens o-ring on MOST Gotham (Gothi?) will be Viton, but replacing that with a 3/4 inch glow ring would be easy.

Tailswitch is SureFire C-Series and M-Series compatible if you happen to feel the urge to use one of those switches.

Like any good little computer geek, I'm continuously developing and tweaking the firmware, so don't be surprised if additional capabilities become available! No worries though... all Gotham lights will be easily upgradable for a nominal fee... it's like getting a new light for peanuts! ;)

Subject to availability, the Acorn driver will also be available for my own Project-M and other builds, to endow them with multi-brightness capabilities... but the Gotham project gets first dibs on the boards so no promises on how many extras will make their way into other builds.

Enjoy, folks! :eek:

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]About The Emitters[/size]

The emitters on Gotham #001-050 are Seoul SSCP4 USWOH. To choose emitters for the project I started with a reel of 250 and hand-tested all of them for optimal operating voltage, keeping the 100 best. Next, hand-tested THOSE (the best 100) for optimal brightness, to weed out underperformers and ensure the best emitters of all would end up in lights #001-050, a small bonus of sorts for being one of the first to take the plunge on these lights. So the emitters have been binned by Seoul, re-binned in the Milky Labs, and re-RE-binned, these latter two binnings by hand, making use of some custom lab equipment that, er, happened to find its way onto my workbench. Had to make sure the 'Hound would be selling no dogs! ;)

Also, here's a little better rendering of the 'official' project photo...

img-gotham-pro-photo.jpg

Last edited: