inside the KX2 - pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az_Tibor

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a brand new KX2 a few hours ago. In comparing it to my KL1, switching the heads back and forth (trying each head with both primaries and a 17670), my KX2 screwed apart instead of off the body. Looks like Surefire didn't use much threadlock at all on this one, so I took advantage... and took some pictures! I searched but didn't come across any other threads with pictures of a disassembled KX2 or KX1, so here you go...

FIrst, the two halves of the KX2 as they came apart in my hands. As you can kind of see, the KX2 is similar to the KL1 in that it uses top and bottom pieces ("upper bezel" and "lower bezel") threaded onto a double-sided male connector that holds the emitter ("heatsink"). I was unable to separate the heatsink and lower bezel, though I really didn't try very hard.
kx2_01.jpg

Same view, looking down. You can see that the emitter board is attached to the heatsink via two hex screws. I could not find the right size hex key, so I did not remove them. I may do that some other time, but I'm more interested in the optics of the KX2 than the electronics. You can see the TIR optic and its retaining ring here, which screws into the same threads that the heatsink does.
kx2_02.jpg

A (somewhat dark) view into the upper bezel and TIR optic. Not much else to say, this isn't a very good picture...
kx2_03.jpg

Left to right: Lower bezel with heatsink/emitter; TIR optic retaining ring; plastic washer; TIR optic; pyrex lens; rubber washer (or o-ring); upper bezel.
kx2_04.jpg

Same, from slightly more above.
kx2_05.jpg

Close-up of the aluminum ring that retains the TIR optic in the upper bezel.
kx2_06.jpg

The next two are the TIR optic, facing down. It appears to be comprised of two separate pieces, a completely flast disc on the bottom topped with a cone-shaped optic. I could be wrong, and it's a single molded optic, but it looked like there was a seam connecting the disc and cone.
kx2_07.jpg

kx2_08.jpg

TIR optic, facing upwards. At the top of this picture, the optic has a completely flat surface all the way across, not domed like the KL1's TIR optic.
kx2_09.jpg

While looking down into the assembled KX2, one might think that there is a reflector inside. I see it, too. However, there is no reflector in the KX2 separate from the TIR (total internal REFLECTION) optic. And as you can see here, the rubber washer/o-ring is visible through the optic, so it is itself fully transparent even sideways.
kx2_10.jpg

On the other hand... this optic sure does reflect well! You can see in the center of the optic, the reflection of my ceiling fan light. On the left of the optic, you can kind of make out the reflection of my American flag. On the right of the optic, is my window with blinds, and just left of the window, my monitor with CPF on it. :)
kx2_11.jpg

And finally, in the fine tradition of Maglite, I give you... candle mode! :candle:
kx2_12.jpg

kx2_13.jpg

It really is quite bright, lights up my dark hallway very well. I just wonder about the lessened heatsinking due to the removed upper bezel; on the other hand, the emitter is exposed to open air.

So, there's the inside of the new KX2. Hope you enjoyed it! :wave:

Az_Tibor

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: inside the KX2

Awesome. Seems like a fairly simple mod candidate. Everything in there looks appropriately beefy.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Those look like T heads, not hex. Don't try a hex, you'll ruin them.

They look very similar to hex, except the edges aren't flat, they're curved in.

You can get a T wrench at Lowes etc for $8 or so that has T0 to T8. I'm *guessing* those are around T4, etc.

prime77

Enlightened
Awesome stuff.... Here I was driving to work today daydreaming what the inside of my e2L looks like. I get home fire up CPF and here it is. Thanks, really cool stuff.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
great photos,Thanks :thumbsup:
now i wonder how is the driver hooked up to the emitter board :whistle:?
and been wondering to swap that one as well :devil:
does the emitter has 3 or 4 bonding wires inside the dome?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing those pics! :cool:

Now I know what I can expect to find when I crack my KX2-BK open when I get it back from Cali...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting pictures, especially of the optic. Looking at the last beamshot photo, was the imperfection in the beam (towards the bottom) there before you took the KX2 apart?

Regards,
Tempest

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
I think that's without the optics on.

Interesting pictures, especially of the optic. Looking at the last beamshot photo, was the imperfection in the beam (towards the bottom) there before you took the KX2 apart?

Regards,
Tempest

houtex

Enlightened
The same thing just happened to me with the KX1 head on my e1l. Very little effort to open it. Now off to Milky if he'll write me back.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
I put a diffusion gel between the glass and optics to smooth the beam out. But now I can't get the optic back centered on the cree just right. So I ordered a UCL LDF lens for it to convert it to a kind of flood. Still might order a reflector too. Now I need another KX2 for spot use. Grrr at me, should have just left it alone.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.... My KX2 did the same thing. Completely unscrewed when trying to take it off a body. This is the first time I can remember that I have been able to disassemble a SF head without tools.

MSax

Az_Tibor

Newly Enlightened
As SRacer2000 said, that is a beamshot in "candle mode" with the upper bezel and optics removed. The "imperfection" is due to an assembly hole (one of two) in the heatsink, that you can best see in picture #2.

I'll look for my caliper to get some measurements of the optic... it looks like it would be incredibly easy to replace the optic with a reflector, since the optic is reflector-shaped already. As long as the reflector is the right diameter and length, the retainer should hold it just right... hm.:poke:

Regards,
Tempest

Status
Not open for further replies.